• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New to The Witcher Universe? Here's is a guide to get you ready for The Witcher 3

tZsb.jpg

With The Witcher 3 finally going gold, I thought it would be a good idea to make a thread to catch those jumping in for the first time up to speed. The series has never been on Playstation and many missed Witcher 2 on 360. Couple that with Witcher 1 never making it out of PC and there's a lot of lore to cover.

This OP is just for the absolute basics. The things that are "must know" to understand the Witcher series Universe. I'm sure there will be plenty of knowledgable people in this thread to answer questions so if you have any deeper questions than what the OP entails feel free to ask! Much of this info will be taken from The Witcher wiki since it can tell it better than I can which you can find here http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Witcher_Wiki

Also this thread will obviously be heavy on SPOILERS so prepare accordingly. With all of that out of the way, let's get started shall we?

Qestion: What is a Witcher? Answer: A Witcher (or Hexer) is someone who has undergone extensive training, ruthless mental and physical conditioning, and mysterious rituals (which take place at "Witcher schools" such as Kaer Morhen) in preparation for becoming an itinerant monster-slayer for hire. Taken in as children when their innate abilities can only be hinted at, Witchers-to-be are subjected to intense alchemical processes, consumption of mutagenic compounds, and other trials to make them highly versatile against their opponents (many of which possess superhuman speed, strength and/or other deadly powers). These procedures ultimately mean that each fully-trained Witcher is a mutant built specifically to hunt and kill inhuman prey.

Main Characters For The Witcher 3

Geralt of Rivia
Also known as The White Wolf and Gwynbleidd

uZsb.jpg

Geralt was the son of sorceress Visenna and (presumably) a warrior called Korin. Shortly after being born, Geralt was taken by his mother to the Wolf School — the Kaer Morhen stronghold (from Elder Speech Caer a'Muirehen meaning "Fortress of the Old Sea"). Geralt survived numerous mutations during the Trial of the Grasses, through which he gained practically superhuman physical and mental abilities (increased reflexes, speed, strength and enhanced hearing) surprisingly well. Because of that he was selected for additional experiments, and of the few he was the only one that survived. His white hair, completely lacking pigment, is a side effect of these experiments. After finishing the witcher training, he embarked into the world on his horse called The Roach (he gave the same name to every one of his horses) to become a monster slayer for hire.

His best friend was Dandelion the bard, while his lover and the love of his life was Yennefer.

Cirilla or Ciri
xZsb.jpg

Although Geralt did not believe in destiny, he demanded the unborn child of princess Pavetta and her husband Duny as a reward for his services. As the child turned out to be a girl, he did not take her. However, fate or blind chance caused Geralt and Ciri, the daughter of Duny and Pavetta to cross paths thrice, and after the death of her grandmother, queen Calanthe, Geralt ended up taking care of the girl and loving her as his own daughter.

Ciri harbors unbelievable power, including the ability to traverse space and time at will.

Yennefer

vZsb.jpg

Yennefer of Vengerberg (born on Belleteyn of the year 1173) — a sorceress who lived in the capital city of Aedirn — Vengerberg. She was the youngest member of the Council of Sorcerers and later the Lodge of Sorceresses attempted to recruit her. She is the love of witcher Geralt of Rivia and a mother figure to Ciri. The lady of Vengerberg is famous for her beauty, even though during the events of The Tower of the Swallow she was 94 years old. She is always wearing black and white clothing, and uses lilac and gooseberry perfumes. She has remarkable violet eyes and raven black hair. She is a quadroon (meaning she had ¼ of elven blood).

During the Battle of Sodden Hill she was blinded by Fringilla Vigo, a Nilfgaardian sorceress. Her sight was later magically restored but she still bore the emotional scars.

As most sorceresses, she is sterile. She secretly sought a way of restoring her fertility. She gave her motherly love to Ciri — the child destined for Geralt by the Law of Surprise. She also taught Ciri about magic while in Ellander, at the Temple under the watchful eye of Nenneke.

She was royal advisor to king Demavend of Aedirn and a friend of Triss Merigold.

Yennefer first appeared in the short story "The Last Wish" (found in The Last Wish short story collection). She later appeared in other short stories, including "Granica możliwości", "Okruch lodu" and "Coś więcej", one "non-canon" short story: "Coś się kończy, coś się zaczyna", and of course all the novels in the Witcher saga.

It is implied in the story "The Last Wish" that her attractive looks were a product of magic and had been acquired during her training, as with most other sorceresses. Geralt notes how her shoulders are slightly lopsided and by the end of the story realizes that Yennefer used to be a hunchback. Nevertheless, his love for her does not diminish.

Triss Merigold

wZsb.png

Triss Merigold of Maribor is a sorceress. She is called the "Fourteenth of the Hill" because she was erroneously thought to have been killed during the Battle of Sodden Hill. She is a friend of Yennefer and witcher Geralt, and unhappily in love with the latter. She took care of Ciri at Kaer Morhen for some time and is like an older sister to her. It was through her intervention that Ciri was not inadvertently given harmful hormones which might have negatively impacted her "womanly assets". She was a member of King Foltest's royal council along with Fercart and Keira Metz, as well as a founding member of the Lodge of Sorceresses.

She is a skilled healer and carries with her many magical potions, but she never uses them on herself because she is allergic to magic. She is also quite a powerful mage, certainly when it counts most.

The Wild Hunt

yZsb.jpg

According to the Nordlings, the Wild Hunt is a procession, or rather a cavalcade of skeletal horsemen. They rush across the sky on the bony remains of steeds. Clad in rusty remnants of armor, they wear jagged swords at their waists. Like comets, the Wild Hunt is an omen of war, which has been confirmed beyond all doubt.
The spectral cavalcade ventures out in search of victims every several years, but its harvest was never as rich as just before the last war with Nilfgaard, when over twenty souls went missing in Novigrad alone after the Hunt passed through. Curiously, elven and dwarven legends make not the slightest mention of the Wild Hunt.

Story Recep

Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiqMr0OvQog

Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSftIRQzYCM

Hope this helps get you up to speed! If there is more info you would like me to put in the OP just let me know! Can't wait for the Witcher 3 The Wild Hunt

lcap

Just as a question to a newcomer, how is the combat of the series? Is it anything like the Souls series? Or more like Dragon Age?

Ralemont

not me
Thanks for this thread. I made a similar one for Dragon Age and felt that more than anything it helped me brush up on my own lore. But I'm no expert of Witcher lore and so this is immensely helpful to me, even as someone who played the first two games (which do a turrible job at expositing backstory).

I do have a few questions though:

How is it that Triss is allergic to magic and yet a powerful mage?

Do we know how the Wild Hunt chooses its victims?

Dsyndrome

Subbed; I still need to finish Witcher 2 to figure out what the deal is with Yennefer, and why she's the love of Geralt's wife when he's been Trish in every game I've played. The amnesia, maybe?

Subbed; I still need to finish Witcher 2 to figure out what the deal is with Yennefer, and why she's the love of Geralt's wife when he's been Trish in every game I've played. The amnesia, maybe?

Geralt's amnesia is certainly a factor in that. Also Yennefer has been gone, she was taken by The Wild Hunt. Also Geralt slept around with women even when him and Yeneffer were together, he is a ladies man after all

In his heart though Geralt love's Yennefer more than anyone else, even if their relationship at times was toxic.

LogicStep

Thank you! Always been into the story but couldn't get into the first two games. With this I'll be ready for third time's a charm.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
This is fantastic. I'd highly highly HIGHLY suggest everyone play Witcher 1 and stick through the first hour. It has a bit of a learning curve, and it isn't hard(just not easy/handholdy) It's one of the best realized RPG's you can play with a bit of a slow start. Plus it can be had for like $2.00 every time you turn around it seems.

Mifec

Great thread man.

...Or you can go and read the books and play the first two games. They really really worth it.

If they are gonna read fantasy books there is a whole lot of books they should be reading before the witcher series, online summaries are enough for those.

squall211

I got a free downloadable code for Witcher 3 when I got my new gaming PC next week. I'm trying to decide whether to watch the story recaps or to play the first two games. I own them both (got each super cheap during a Steam sale). I'd really like to play the first two but I've heard that the first game's gameplay is a bit clunky and dated.

Salsa

...Or you can go and read the books and play the first two games. They really really worth it.

what a shitty first response. OP took effort.

good job, man. The first 2 games are great and well worth playing but people there's nothing wrong with jumping onto 3 if that's what you wanna do

i am planning to read the novels before buying the game.

i've already finished the two novels mainly consisting of short stories. basically i'm now on the book where the ciri saga starts, as far as i understand.

although i know that the games won't come close to the book in terms of visualization. battles in the book are really well-written. every swing, every step are described in such detail. i guess imagination really is the greatest. ahaha.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Very much appreciated, I will go through this when I get the chance.

It's crazy how hyped I am to play this game when a) I've never played any of the games, and b) don't even have a means to play The Witcher 3 yet.

There's a 3 hour movie version of The Witcher 1 that I tried to watch last year but I guess I was always on the verge of sleepiness when watching it because I haven't been able to finish it yet. I managed to get a sealed Xbox 360 version (still sealed till now even) of The Witcher 2 like two years ago for 5 bucks when a friend in another city told me about it in probably one of last stores to ever have the game. He picked one up for me, himself and another friend of his and mailed it to me for another 2 bucks. Plus I have the digital version of The Witcher 2 for free through Games with Gold AND if I ever got a gaming PC, I got it free through that sales week special that GOG.com had months ago.

So I got everything I need to prepare for The Witcher 3, except for the console/gaming PC to play it on, or the time to play.

Garibaldi

Thanks for this good man. I have the first two games on PC but never really got round to playing them (something I will remedy), but this is a great step on point.

Also Geralt slept around with women even when him and Yeneffer were together,
And Yennefer slept around with men, which made them mutually jealous (Remember that Wizard?)

They have an on-off relationship with lots of anger and emotion. Time and time again, Geralt would just ride away without warning after some time spent together.

TMC

Going through Witcher 2 right now to prepare for Witcher 3, but I have never played the first one. Thanks for this! Subbed.

malfcn

Haven't played the first. Played a bit of the second. This will help. Hopefully I can finish our restart the last one.

Aeana

Actually if you only play on Playstation its impossible to play the first 2 games. Also not all of the books are translated in English.

Thanks, added them to the OP!
It's also impossible to breathe if you hold your own breath. It's not like only playing on PlayStation isn't self-imposed.

Mitch

Banned
Probably holding off on my purchase, since I never got too far into 2. Will sub to this thread so I can check back later. Thanks!

PFD

It's also impossible to breathe if you hold your own breath. It's not like only playing on PlayStation isn't self-imposed.

I don't understand your logic. What if you can't afford a PC/second console to play the other entries?

Great thread btw. Well done, OP.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
thanks for the thread! i played a bunch of W2 but if i'm going to get around to W3 it'd be nice to get caught up

i read The Last Wish a million years ago but not everyone wants to spend 60 hours playing the series before W3

injurai

Banned
Actually if you only play on Playstation its impossible to play the first 2 games. Also not all of the books are translated in English.

The first game can run on most everyone's PC. A good amount of the books are officially translated, and the rest have unofficial translations.

I'd certainly still recommend playing through the series for anyone that doesn't absolutely have to play this game at launch.

Top Bottom