• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Toukiden 2 details. [Update: Screenshots]

I definitely hope they don't take too much inspiration from western open world games, e.g. collect all the things, but do more of their own thing.

screenshots

toukiden2_160203-1.jpg

toukiden2_160203-2.jpg

toukiden2_160203-3.jpg

toukiden2_160203-4.jpg

wooooow

Samemind

I remember playing a little bit of the first Toukiden. As a someone who loves Monster Hunter, it didn't really click with me. I guess I was more attached to the light-heartedness than I thought. That said, seeing this open world news does remind me all those comments I've seen of people wanting Monster Hunter to ditch the section-based level structure. So I'll be curious to see how this game turns out.

ViciousDS

Banned
OMG......everything sounds amazing.

Please tell me this is getting a western release?

My little brother and I loved playing the first one......I'm not a MH fan because of how slow it can be. But I love things like this, RO, and GE

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I mean I'm hoping this comes to PC because why not, but this is exactly why port begging is discouraged. Let's talk about the cool screens for now and not potential ports and sales numbers

hope that isn't considered backseat modding :x

Usually my personal standard for telling people to knock it off is if it appears to be crushing other conversation.

In the 18 hours this thread has been up, we have gotten 50 replies consisting of:
-"Is this coming to the West?"
-"Is it still on Vita?"
-"Will it come to PC?"
-"I like the graphics."
-"I'm playing it on PS4."
-A couple people commenting on the gameplay systems.

As far as I can tell, in this instance, there's just actually very little interest in discussing the game beyond a surface level given the very low volume of posts.

By comparison, when we look at something like Valkyria Chronicles 2, Epic Mickey, or Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, those threads were getting hundreds of posts an hour with a bunch of people trying to talk about the game drowning in a sea of posts about platforms.

I realize this distinction probably doesn't feel very consistent, and not every moderator treats this issue the same way, but I thought I'd share my personal perspective.

I can certainly appreciate not wanting to have actual discussion drowned out in platform discussion though. I can throw down some rules at the front of a Toukiden 2 thread with a lot more gameplay details (and thus likely to get notably more gameplay discussion) if you like..

Xater

As a MH fan, GE2 plays much better than the original. Its probably the best MH clone.

Interesting. I hope they will put out a demo for that when the PS4 version arrives in the west.

I know at least that I enjoyed the demo of Toukiden quite a bit. Not having the weird sections in Toukiden 2 also sounds great to me. For as much as I like Monster Hunter that always bothered me.

~Cross~

I hope the "hunting" elements are more emphasized than the original. Part of what I like about this genre is the character progression and I found it very lacking when compared to MH. The god system should allow for a better variety of characters but it also felt pretty lackluster.

Improve those two elements, add in some dragons dogma open world hunting, and it'll be great.

I'm really curious about the open world, since I can't see how they do it without significantly overhauling the mission structure. Otherwise I might be a more open but empty feeling world.

I want to see their level diversity. I loved Toukiden but none of the levels really stood out to me.

I'm really curious about the open world, since I can't see how they do it without significantly overhauling the mission structure. Otherwise I might be a more open but empty feeling world.

It doesn't seem too hard. I'm imagining a giant area with no loading between zones.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Toukiden Kiwami is one of my surprise hits on PS4. I can't wait to pick up the next game.

18-Volt

This one ain't coming for the Vita right? Looks massively different in scope and graphics, can't see a way to downgrade it to fit a portable version.

First one was a PSP game ported to Vita, with additional polish. This is probably Vita game as the main and ported to others to maintain cross platform play. There are some Vita games look good like those, I don't think there would be any downgrade at all.

Plus, Koei/Omega Force one of few companies who knows how to use Vita's limited power.

TreIII

We getting a jump button now? Oh my.

Not necessarily. They did say that elevation in the environment would be more of a factor, now, and you'll be able to leap off places. So, perhaps that means they'll be taking a few notes from MH4 when it comes to that.

Hastati

Yooooooo, I'm...

Yoooooooo

Edit: These screenshots are giving me Dogma vibes. I'm definitely more interested in the "Open world hunting thing."

Yeah, the forest shot reminded me of Dogma.

Toukiden Kiwami is a decent game, repetitive but the core gameplay is a lot of fun and I love the designs. Hope the open world gives them more opportunity for new ideas in interactivity, curious to see as well how they handle multiplayer (invasions would be fun).

impact

Banned
You can bet this was still far profitable.
Game is sold at 60 bucks after all. I think they might just cheap out on it again.

Well, I wouldn't buy it again.

30fps on PC games is so bad, even ignoring all the other problems with it.

Dragoon's dogma name getting sullied here

I mean people that played both know that they're not comparable at all even though Toukiden's combat and gameplay is much more fun.

Usually my personal standard for telling people to knock it off is if it appears to be crushing other conversation.

In the 18 hours this thread has been up, we have gotten 50 replies consisting of:
-"Is this coming to the West?"
-"Is it still on Vita?"
-"Will it come to PC?"
-"I like the graphics."
-"I'm playing it on PS4."
-A couple people commenting on the gameplay systems.

As far as I can tell, in this instance, there's just actually very little interest in discussing the game beyond a surface level given the very low volume of posts.

By comparison, when we look at something like Valkyria Chronicles 2, Epic Mickey, or Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, those threads were getting hundreds of posts an hour with a bunch of people trying to talk about the game drowning in a sea of posts about platforms.

I realize this distinction probably doesn't feel very consistent, and not every moderator treats this issue the same way, but I thought I'd share my personal perspective.

I can certainly appreciate not wanting to have actual discussion drowned out in platform discussion though. I can throw down some rules at the front of a Toukiden 2 thread with a lot more gameplay details (and thus likely to get notably more gameplay discussion) if you like..

I want to know what the mechanical changes will be

What bothered me most was that customization only went so deep. Are we getting some modifiers on weapons and armor? More mitama spell variation and bonuses?

Also are they dropping the whole Random monster that sometimes appears in the shadow zone that MAY or MAY not drop the super rare item you need?

RM8

Welp, I wanted to give the first one a try, but I'm learning in this thread that it's a bad PC port :(

screenshots

toukiden2_160203-1.jpg

toukiden2_160203-2.jpg

toukiden2_160203-3.jpg

toukiden2_160203-4.jpg

Looking nice! I think I'm gonna go for PS4 this time even though I played it on Vita last time, really liked the game a lot and I'm curious to see how the open world works for it. Can't wait!
I never played Monster Hunter is that more of a open world style hunting game?

sublimit

Banned
Finally this looks like the monster hunter game i always dreamed about...Koei seems to be the new and improved Capcom lately.

Tratorn

Looks great and since it seems to have a "real" open world now, I'll give it more attention. I'm not a fan of these separated areas of most games in this genre.

Looking forward to the first gameplay trailer.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I can't wait to see more, i'm not really a fan of the genre(even if i have played and finished some games) but i like how it looks.

Those nice visuals are going to take quite the beating on the Vita.

Toukiden Kiwami on vita looked like this(in-game):
article_post_width_toukiden1.png

this(bullshot)
toukiden2_160203-4.jpg

obviously looks better but if on vita graphics will be similar to Kiwami i really don't see the problem

Mozendo

The texture on tha oni is really bothering me, but other than that I'm hyped.
Toukiden has to be my favorite hunting game so far I really want to know how they'll handle missions.
Hopefully other devs see that the hunting genre needs to evolve.

Looking nice! I think I'm gonna go for PS4 this time even though I played it on Vita last time, really liked the game a lot and I'm curious to see how the open world works for it. Can't wait!
I never played Monster Hunter is that more of a open world style hunting game?

I might get both since it will likely be Cross Play and Cross Save like Kiwami was

Such a neat setup for a hunting game.

DTurkin

I will get this for Vita. For some stupid reason, the thought of buying it for PS4 makes me feel a bit like a traitor.

sublimit

Banned
I will get this for Vita. For some stupid reason, the thought of buying it for PS4 makes me feel a bit like a traitor.

There is only one "traitor" when it comes to Vita and that is Sony themselves.

Just buy the version you know you will enjoy the most.

Powwa

Toukiden Kiwami on vita looked like this(in-game):
article_post_width_toukiden1.png

this(bullshot)
toukiden2_160203-4.jpg

obviously looks better but if on vita graphics will be similar to Kiwami i really don't see the problem

I don't think they can maintain the same graphics in a open world game though. Toukiden probably is one of the better looking games on the Vita, I hope they can find the balance and it won't end up looking like Nights of Azure.

And I love the fact that the game will have day-night shift now, I really enjoy games that has this.
Since they are talking about new weapons, I guess all the previous weapon types will be staying as well right?

JJP12

Keeping my fingers crossed for a fast localization. Everything I'm seeing and reading about this sounds great. I can't wait to do Toukiden things in an open world!

Man, this looks great. Toukiden is such an excellent game, and this looks to be taking it places that MonHun's haven't gone before. Hyped!

Monster Hunter still wins for me with its sheer amount of mechanics, variation, customization etc

Toukiden had some excellent coop, minute to minute gameplay, and some very satisfying fights

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I don't think they can maintain the same graphics in a open world game though. Toukiden probably is one of the better looking games on the Vita, I hope they can find the balance and it won't end up looking like Nights of Azure.

And I love the fact that the game will have day-night shift now, I really enjoy games that has this.
Since they are talking about new weapons, I guess all the previous weapon types will be staying as well right?
Yes, in hunting games "new weapons" basically means weapons added to the old ones lol.

About graphics i said "similar" not "same" for a reason, i expect some downgrades, we need to see how big or small they will be.

Top Bottom