• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New trailer for Shin Megami Tensei V

Fbh

Looks fantastic. Really nice to go back to 3D battles after the basic (and mostly static) sprites in IV.

Also good to see the design of the protagonist is much better after arriving in ruined Tokyo

Ladioss

Pretty clever of Atlus to have a protagonist whose character design can appeal to both men and women.

Keeping my finger crossed that we have good, convoluted dungeon designs. And the lore adress the Daath/Vortex world connection, if there is one.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
This series is much better then Persona, it doesn't even compare.

I fear that the Switch is going to run this like shit though. Still very promising, and also, very close to Nocturne in terms of world design it seems.

I'm glad the game is finally getting released, but my enthusiasm has waned, largely because I've soured on the Switch as a platform. Watching these new trailers, the compromises to image quality are evident, and we'll see about overall performance, in time. Depending on how things shake-out with the final game, my question will be whether it's worth gambling on SEGA's supposed desire to port ATLUS titles and waiting to see, if the game reemerges on some new platforms around late 2022 or 2023.

Belmonte

I’ve never actually played a main line SMT game this will be my first. only played the persona games. I’m not expecting it to play like Persona but having played them it should make it easier to get into I hope

The combat is very similar to Persona. One diference here or there but you will feel at home.

The greatest difference is the gameplay loop. There is no visual novel features/mechanics. People who like Persona because of the relationships and story don't care much about SMT. But the dungeons and exploration are more complex because of this. Building/fusion your party is more important also.

Persona: Half RPG, half Visual Novel.

SMT: Full-blown RPG.

Andyliini

Shin Megami Tensei IV was great, so I'm definitely in with this. The end of the year looks quite packed already, this looks to be one of the best.

Game looks amazing. The exploration maps look rough, though. With Nocturne coming out on other platforms, this should be coming elsewhere, right? Unless performance will be better on/if new Switch hardware gets announced..
I assume you already know the answer by now but no, it's exclusive to Switch.

After Nocturne (PS2), SMT has somehow stuck to Nintendo exclusivity whilst Persona (besides Persona Q) has stuck to PlayStation exclusivity.

NahaNago

Serious question: is that protagonist a dude or a girl? I genuinely couldn‘t tell, lol. At first I thought it was a girl with short hair, but then I saw that there were no breasts so I thought it was a dude, but then the protagonist suddenly had long hair and what appeared to be boobs, so this trailer left me very confused…

Edit: Or can you choose your character‘s sex?
I thought it was a boy at first and then the long hair. I'm guessing female since that was what I thought from the first trailer.

Japanese Trailer is much better. Also no annoying voice-over.

Probably gonna play in Japanese. I again recognize Kenjiro Tsuda's voice once more (he was voicing Jack CHAOS! in FF as well)
Isn't Tsuda Colin Farrell's Japanese dub in movies? It sounds like it.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'm happy we are getting an actual overworld this time it seems like. Instead of choosing locations on a map.

Playing as Neon Blue Griffith in November is going to be a good time.

And this time we got 3d models instead of 2D sprites.

JTCx

The combat is very similar to Persona. One diference here or there but you will feel at home.

The greatest difference is the gameplay loop. There is no visual novel features/mechanics. People who like Persona because of the relationships and story don't care much about SMT. But the dungeons and exploration are more complex because of this. Building/fusion your party is more important also.

Persona: Half RPG, half Visual Novel.

SMT: Full-blown RPG.
SMT gang unite

It's like they aren't even trying anymore.... one day you're a high school student, the next you're transported to a post apocalyptic world!

smh....

smt4 at least gave it a good try with mikado and burroughs
Much as I enjoyed SMTIV's attempt, I wouldn't want Atlus to purposely strive for that with each SMT game.

All I want in an SMT game....is darkness (half joking) and I trust them to deliver on it again.

I assume you already know the answer by now but no, it's exclusive to Switch.

After Nocturne (PS2), SMT has somehow stuck to Nintendo exclusivity whilst Persona (besides Persona Q) has stuck to PlayStation exclusivity.
But both of those series had games ported to PC in the last year. I can't see this being a Nintendo exclusive forever, especially since it's running on UE 4. No More Heroes III will also be coming to at least PC, even though it's currently a Switch exclusive like Travis Strikes Again was.

kingkaiser

God the voice over is terrible and cringe. I love Shin Megami Tensei though.
Seriously, I almost fall from my chair when that voice had to depict why a postapocalyptic wastleand is actually NOT the real Tokyo anymore, like explaning it to a moron. Trailer must have aimed at Persona fans...

NahaNago

Though in the Japanese trailer, the first Demon the MC meets calls him "Shounen"
I don't even know anymore. I rewatched the english version to see if the character had breasts when transformed all of a sudden but that was a nope so maybe just a long hair transformation for a guy(or flat chested girl)?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don't even know anymore. I rewatched the english version to see if the character had breasts when transformed all of a sudden but that was a nope so maybe just a long hair transformation for a guy(or flat chested girl)?
His wearing boy school uniform, pretty sure his a guy.

But both of those series had games ported to PC in the last year. I can't see this being a Nintendo exclusive forever, especially since it's running on UE 4. No More Heroes III will also be coming to at least PC, even though it's currently a Switch exclusive like Travis Strikes Again was.
Ehhh, unlike you I've never been in the industry so if this is your way of dropping hints, cool. Lol.

I'm just telling you what I've observed as a gamer: that none of the mainline SMTs on Nintendo's ecosystem have made it out yet.

P4G certainly feels like Atlus' was testing the waters, so I'm not ruling out a possible port of SMTV. Oh and they did say it'll "launch exclusively on Nintendo Switch, November 12" in the English trailer.

mejin

The "henshin" of the MC is really, really bad taste.

Seems way better than IV in value production and I think Atlus will probably port it to other platforms later.

NahaNago

It's a guy. SMT games usually have male protagonists though they are pretty androgynous as well. So you can envision them as female instead if you're going to roleplay the char in the game.
I think smt 4 was the first time that they went that androgynous. Before that they were pretty easy to tell they were male.

edit: got to go to bed.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I hope in west we also get collector's edition for west as well.
dDTG1S5.png

Danjin44

Japan’s extended version trailer >>>>>>> whatever butchered job of a North American trailer we got during conference.
Yeah, I don't get why they couldn't just give us that Japanese trailer, it did much better job showing off the game.

Ladioss

Given the lack of success of the main franchise in the west, Atlus probably think they still need to explain how SMT works to the western public in 2021.

They even included a waifu to trap the Persona crowd.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This game looks absolutely terrible (visually). Awful image quality, and the game has that blown out, overly bloomy look that was typical of early UE3 games on PS360. Very hard to look at.

Fucking finally.

The protag's design is dope. the UI looks rad too, including mid-battle.

Since the story takes place in Another Tokyo, does that mean the original Tokyo is unharmed?

Also I'm a bit worried about the lack of characters, it's only the protagonist and the demons here. Having characters with different goals is what makes for compelling storytelling.

Top Bottom