• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New trailer for Snake Eyes

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
The Raid team is EVERYWERE I LOVE IT

Leonardo Dicaprio Reaction GIF

*Nightwing

Looks like a cool ninja movie…. Including nothing from the rich history of story material G.I.Joe has between comics and cartoons besides characters names a’la Mario Bros movie.
I’m sure with the obvious dedication to the story and maintaining the spirit of the characters it will be just as good too /s

Kadve

Really like this version of the suit.

ciw9msY.png

It looked ridiculous after all in ROC and a bit too bland for my taste in Retaliation.

snake-eyes.jpg

29RDP_GIJOE_SPAN-jumbo.jpg

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Looks like a cool ninja movie…. Including nothing from the rich history of story material G.I.Joe has between comics and cartoons besides characters names a’la Mario Bros movie.
I’m sure with the obvious dedication to the story and maintaining the spirit of the characters it will be just as good too /s

The creator of Snake Eyes in the comics is involved.

*Nightwing

Then why is all of this this backstory clearly contradictory from the trailer:

“Snake Eyes is the code name of a member of the G.I. Joe Team. He is the team's original commando, and much of his history and information, including his real name, place of birth and service number, have remained "CLASSIFIED" throughout all depictions of his origin. All that is known for certain is his rank/grade (originally U.S. Army Sergeant/E-5,[1]eventually reaching Sergeant First Class/E-7 before it too was made "CLASSIFIED"), his primary military specialty is infantry, and his secondary military specialty is hand-to-hand combat instructor. Snake Eyes was trained at the MACV Recondo School (Nha Trang),[2]and served in LRRPs in Southeast Asia with Stalker and Storm Shadow, eventually leaving the service to study martial arts with Storm Shadow's Arashikage ninja clan.

It’s nice they tried to buy some credibility by adding the comics writer to the staff but what we can see from the final product so far is clearly changing his backstory from military professional at the top of his game leaving it all behind to become an even more badass ninja, then always deciding to fight for what is right.

that’s a lot more interesting character development than aimless looser who becomes a ninja and then finds his way from what the adverts look like. Hope I’m wrong, but won’t find out till I can watch it for free

edit: and that’s not even getting into how he wears the suit because he is horribly disfigured. And doesn’t speak (sometimes stated he can’t speak cause he is mute and other times explained he took a vow of silence). But guessing this will be the finale of the movie probably leaving him disfigured and mute right before the credits roll.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Realy? I think he's canonically Asian in the comics? It's been a while. So they aren't even race swapping here.

"When out of his uniform, Snake Eyes is shown to be Caucasian with an athletic build, blonde hair, and blue eyes. Snake Eyes has been shown in most continuities to be romantically involved with fellow team member Scarlett. He has also had several apprentices, including Kamakura, Tiger Claw, and Jinx.
First appearance: 1982"

sol_bad

Yep, really hoping for some really cool action scenes here.

*EDIT*
OH. And also.

Last edited:

Cravis

New trailers make it look good. I’m sold.

I’m sure at the end he will be caught in an explosion or something that damages his vocal chords and disfigures him…

turning him in the most hideous form of all….a Caucasian male.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I watched this movie....it was not good at all. I needed to put it out there because I didn't want to keep it in.

*Nightwing

Yea but there are certain people here pissed off that a ninja isn't white.

Opinions that Aged like sour milk so much that Ree ain’t even have hot takes on knowing this movie is super shitty without the disingenuous insinuations that anyone that don’t like it is racist.
DsJNMFk.gif

intbal

Massive flop.
Lost over $100 million for Paramount.

Time to retire theatrical GI Joe movies.

If they want to make a new limited cartoon series, though (traditional cel animation only), I'd be interested in that.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
How much of the movie was he unmasked? Looks stupid to see his face. I dont think he showed his face once in the cartoon (not sure about the comics).

Ownage

Massive flop.
Lost over $100 million for Paramount.

Time to retire theatrical GI Joe movies.

If they want to make a new limited cartoon series, though (traditional cel animation only), I'd be interested in that.
A damn shame as it was the best of the Joe movies. I thought it was a helluva lot better than the Shang Chi bullshit.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Snake Eyes was mute as well, right? IIRC in at least one comic he eats some flaming avgas right to the face and thats why he wears a mask and doesn't speak.

I thought the film was decent, certainly plenty of action. The fire gem stuff seemed unnecessary IMHO, even the giant snakes were.....passable I guess.

What was the deal with every car and motorcycle being electric? Trying to seem futuristic, is that the norm in Japan, or was it product placement?

Not sure I buy Storm Shadows origin either, or at least we know he is prime for a reconciliation. Nice to see that actor though, I dig him in the chinatown show.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Snake Eyes was mute as well, right? IIRC in at least one comic he eats some flaming avgas right to the face and thats why he wears a mask and doesn't speak.

I thought the film was decent, certainly plenty of action. The fire gem stuff seemed unnecessary IMHO, even the giant snakes were.....passable I guess.

What was the deal with every car and motorcycle being electric? Trying to seem futuristic, is that the norm in Japan, or was it product placement?

Not sure I buy Storm Shadows origin either, or at least we know he is prime for a reconciliation. Nice to see that actor though, I dig him in the chinatown show.
Andrew Koji. The show is called Warrior.

And yeah it's pretty good! I still have to catch up before season 3 comes out.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I always thought if Snake Eyes as a white dude. A. because he always wore a mask and didn't speak, he was the easiest to project yourself into, and B. the "white guy goes to Asia and learns martial arts" trope was EXTREMELY common in the early 80's.

His dossier card thing is pretty clear that he studies that stuff later in life and wasn't born into a ninja clan or anything.

55O8yk0.jpg

Ownage

I always thought if Snake Eyes as a white dude. A. because he always wore a mask and didn't speak, he was the easiest to project yourself into, and B. the "white guy goes to Asia and learns martial arts" trope was EXTREMELY common in the early 80's.

His dossier card thing is pretty clear that he studies that stuff later in life and wasn't born into a ninja clan or anything.

55O8yk0.jpg
I still have all of this stuff. Good memories.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I still have all of this stuff. Good memories.
I had damn near EVERYTHING GI Joe, at least from those first few years. I think my folks balked at the aircraft carrier, but pretty much everything else was mine. All the jets, the hovercraft, the oil rig set, the big "The Pit" playset, those weird Cobra HISS tanks and copter, on and on. Same with He-man. All saw hard play use, but had they been kept in boxes I woulda been a millionaire now.

jason10mm

Gold Member
J jason10mm

Did you know Warrior was what Bruce Lee meant his show to be? What eventually became Kung Fu when they replaced him with David Carradine ?
I dig it a lot. I LOVE they way the asian actors speak normal english to each other when they are supposed to be speaking chinese, they speak chinese when there is a white person present who CAN'T speak chinese, and then when they are "speaking english" to a white person its a real thick engrish accent other than the one guy who is fluent in english.

Very curious to see where it will go. The fight choreography in that show puts most movies to shame. Koji should have been Spike in Bebop. Hell, the actress that plays his sister would have been a better Faye as well. And her enforcer guy probably a better Jet. Shit, just let that cast redo the whole show :p

And make a "Big Trouble in Little China" remake as well. They have everything there except a truck!

Ownage

I had damn near EVERYTHING GI Joe, at least from those first few years. I think my folks balked at the aircraft carrier, but pretty much everything else was mine. All the jets, the hovercraft, the oil rig set, the big "The Pit" playset, those weird Cobra HISS tanks and copter, on and on. Same with He-man. All saw hard play use, but had they been kept in boxes I woulda been a millionaire now.
The oil rig, Night Raven, hovercraft (which floated in the pool, yo), M1A1, the T dome, everything except the F.L.A.G.G. My cousin had the carrier tho. Yea, we were all jealous but later in life it looked pretty lame. The oil rig and hovercraft (and other boats) were awesome.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The oil rig, Night Raven, hovercraft (which floated in the pool, yo), M1A1, the T dome, everything except the F.L.A.G.G. My cousin had the carrier tho. Yea, we were all jealous but later in life it looked pretty lame. The oil rig and hovercraft (and other boats) were awesome.
Yeah, 6 inch fgures or whatever scale they were are a great compromise in doll detail and configurability but allowed vehicles to be a good size as well. Star Wars dolls were always inadequate even if the vehicles were dope. He-man had great dolls but they were too big for proper vehicles.

There are like no good toys for my son. They are all cheap brittle plastic that self destruct within a day or a hokey electronic doodad that has no real function.

Sigh....

wondermega

Yeah, 6 inch fgures or whatever scale they were are a great compromise in doll detail and configurability but allowed vehicles to be a good size as well. Star Wars dolls were always inadequate even if the vehicles were dope. He-man had great dolls but they were too big for proper vehicles.

There are like no good toys for my son. They are all cheap brittle plastic that self destruct within a day or a hokey electronic doodad that has no real function.

Sigh....
I wonder about that sometimes. In the 1970s, 1980s toys for kids were just AWESOME, no need to cite further examples at this point. I know they still make modern day Transformers and stuff but - I mean, I am a grown adult, I have plenty of fondness for the stuff I loved as a kid but I have no kids and don't really pay attention to what a kid would play with now. I assume it is all just video games, iPad and Legos. That's fine but action figures and stuff were cool as hell. Are they just.. gone now? Or lame? Do kids not even care anymore?

Top Bottom