• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Uncharted 4 Environmental Pictures + GDC Talk

Credit goes to Dualshockers. I would link to the article, but they're banned, so visit their article for ALL the pictures and information as there's many more there. You can also view the images with less compression -- I had to rescale them as their URL is banned. You can also check out the FULL summary of the GDC talk in the article as well. Here's the full GDC video... but I'll put a brief summary:

• The first iteration of the wind system was too complicated, so it was revamped. Now the only parameters the artists have to take care of are the wind intensity (how far the wind can push a particular object), and the speed.
  • Particles in Uncharted 4’s engine freely interact with materials. This allows effects like dynamic damage.
  • When you throw a grenade, it spawns a particles that moves the foliage.
  • The entirety of the E3 demo was made in seven weeks.
  • Maximov remembers waking up a texture artist at 3 AM when he was sleeping with his face on his Cintiq tablet. He was just napping for an hour before he’d keep working. And they can do that kind of thing for a month.
  • Every tool created by Maximov for Naughty Dog has a “Help” button and a “A” button. The first brings up all the tutorials and help files for the tool, the second sends him a note also showing him who pressed that button and what they were seeing at that time. He would make a point to be at that person’s desk within a minute to provide support.
  • A couple of months before starting to crunch really hard, Maximov implemented a button that brings up random quotes taken from social media by players of the Uncharted 4 multiplayer beta. They’re not the “ass kissy” kind of quotes, but they’re there to remember developers what they’re doing it for. It’s not just about making the most polished and most beautiful game ever created.
  • Developers aren’t just making polygons and animations. They’re making memories for people. They’re allowing people to experience things together that maybe they’ll remember and cherish for the rest of their lives.
  • Dirt and mud effects on characters is procedural. If Drake gets muddy and then steps in the water, then the mud will be washed away.
    When Drake is tired a fatigue system changes the animations to make him actually look tired. This actually communicates with the shaders, making him also look sweaty.

4ea3d0c397141282afebb76896ba4470.jpg

c5685d9ee665e7e433ffdacc9ff328b3.jpg

5e70beeae46ddd4bb7934eff4df48f18.jpg

97beb922b5f237983a6458f579b108f1.jpg

d98a13a71e650fc00a9764388938ee15.jpg

a8703e8683beaad5a11134d7aff41fd2.jpg

8920e019f07b8ea420d29fccc97cecbc.jpg

Game looks stunning as expected, but what's really mind-blowing is the detail in the scenery. Absolutely jaw dropping.

DieH@rd

Banned
The entirety of the E3 demo was made in seven weeks.

Well damn. Sometimes is good to work on a linear game and just focus on different levels of LODs around player who cannot go anywhere he likes. :D

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
"A couple of months before starting to crunch really hard, Maximov implemented a button that brings up random quotes taken from social media by players of the Uncharted 4 multiplayer beta. They’re not the “ass kissy” kind of quotes, but they’re there to remember developers what they’re doing it for. It’s not just about making the most polished and most beautiful game ever created.

Developers aren’t just making polygons and animations. They’re making memories for people. They’re allowing people to experience things together that maybe they’ll remember and cherish for the rest of their lives."

These quotes are pretty cool. I hope maybe some my tweets kept someone going.

I want to know what seven weeks translates to in Naughty Dog soul-crushing man-hours.
There's 1176 hours in seven weeks. Let's place our bets.

zsynqx

@35:30 that definitely looks like an updated build of the E3 demo

Edit: Not 100% sure

Edit 2: Yer I'm probably wrong

Javin98

Banned
Any mention of the color bleeding technique that was used liberally in the preview demos at all? It's the part I'm most interested in.

Any mention of the color bleeding technique that was used liberally in the preview demos at all? It's the part I'm most interested in.

If you look at this screen

The indirect shadows give away that what ever does at least indirect shadowing... is not real time (underneath the chair, the counter, the table etc.). I would imagine indirect shadows are and indirect lighting are coupled in how they are done!

Having stuff like that (shadows from indirect bounce light) in real time is reaaaaaaaaly expensive.

Javin98

Banned
If you look at this screen

The indirect shadows give away that what ever does at least indirect shadowing... is not real time (underneath the chair, the counter, the table etc.). I would imagine indirect shadows are and indirect lighting are coupled in how they are done!

Having stuff like that (shadows from indirect bounce light) in real time is reaaaaaaaaly expensive.
Ah, cool. Thanks! But is the color bleeding entirely baked though? It seems to be somewhat dynamic as the hue can range in color and intensity. When I say "color", I mean when the jeep passes through soil, an orange hue is cast onto it while a green hue is cast onto it when it passes through foliage. Also, is there any mention of the volumetric lighting resolution?

This is why Naughty Dog are top notch when it comes to aesthetics, they always know when and where to use their tools and tricks. That's not to devalue their sensibilities towards animation or technology, but they use their tools in an incredibly efficient manner instead of having the engine to everything.

The Lamp

I can't imagine being one of the devs in charge of totally useless decoration and items that may never be noticed in a scene and exist only to make the player feel like they're in a real environment. Like making the artwork on a poster that Nate drives by quickly while escaping a jeep full of armed militants, for example.

Ricky_R

When you throw a grenade, it spawns a particles that moves the foliage

Hopefully that works with detonated explosives as well. The foilage in the preview footage didn't react to them.

Henkka

Banned
I can't imagine being one of the devs in charge of totally useless decoration and items that may never be noticed in a scene and exist only to make the player feel like they're in a real environment. Like making the artwork on a poster that Nate drives by quickly while escaping a jeep full of armed militants, for example.

They are the true heroes.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Maximov remembers waking up a texture artist at 3 AM when he was sleeping with his face on his Cintiq tablet. He was just napping for an hour before he’d keep working. And they can do that kind of thing for a month.

Yikes... and I know that some devs have it worse and not even on such amazing end products in some cases...

stryke

Small assets like that are probably done by outsourced studios, where devs probaby already accept the reality of not getting much credit and being forgotten anyway.

Ah, cool. Thanks! But is the color bleeding entirely baked though? It seems to be somewhat dynamic as the hue can range in color and intensity. When I say "color", I mean when the jeep passes through soil, an orange hue is cast onto it while a green hue is cast onto it when it passes through foliage.

Probably light probe based spherical harmonics for GI, at least for dynamic objects. I haven't seen them talk about it but a lot of games use that technique.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Confirmed, new Naughty Dog IP will have dinosaurs.

2016-04-0601_57_51-gdbfp8v.png

Javin98

Banned
Probably light probe based spherical harmonics for GI, at least for dynamic objects. I haven't seen them talk about it but a lot of games use that technique.
That sounds likely, thanks. IIRC, the recent Far Cry games, Crysis 3 and Ryse use light probes for global illumination, right?

Confirmed, new Naughty Dog IP will have dinosaurs.

2016-04-0601_57_51-gdbfp8v.png
A Naughty Dog game with dinosaurs? Sounds like my dream game! And if they cast a particular someone, it will be my GOAT. :p

Ah, cool. Thanks! But is the color bleeding entirely baked though? It seems to be somewhat dynamic as the hue can range in color and intensity. When I say "color", I mean when the jeep passes through soil, an orange hue is cast onto it while a green hue is cast onto it when it passes through foliage.

Well you can still have something be static and baked and have differing values that project onto things moving through them. That is how ibls tend to work in general, for most games, since forever.

So as you mentioned it: the various probes/light maps whatever sampling indirect specular or indirect diffuse could be baked out at level load or far ahead of time and then be applied to dynamic objects moving through them.

The way to tell whether it is dynamic in some sense of the word, would be if a dynamic object moving through the world would affect said indirect lighting. Or, if a world light moves (sun or otherwise), then the indirect lighting is subsequently effected (think alien isolation).

Top Bottom