• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New unnannounced game from Re-Logic (Terraria), Targeting Mid-2012

duckroll

I think it's time to make a new thread for this. HaRyu has been posting updates on this in the Terraria thread, but there's definitely enough information now for it to get a new thread so people can follow the news on this as it develops without sticking their heads into the Terraria thread.

All this information comes from Tiy's twitter account, and he's the graphic designer and sprite artist for Terraria, and he has confirmed that they are working on a new game which is not a Terraria patch.

Tiy's twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/Tiyuri

Information:
- No game title yet, they're aiming for release in mid-2012
- It will be a sandbox game like Terraria, but they're planning to have a main quest in the game as well
- There will be building elements in the game, and they're taking random generation to a whole new level
- Will supposedly be very different from Terraria, and is a mix of diablo, metroid, castlevania, terraria, pokemon, and some other brand new stuff
- Officially it isn't Terraria 2, and Terraria is still ongoing
- There might be an official announcement relatively soon

Sprite Work:
HmLNB.gif
TvOZG.gif

BzBgC.gif

tMwEI.gif

Screens:
fvA3W.jpg

cid8r.png

LuchaShaq

Banned
Terraria clicked with me hard, in a way build your own stuff in minecraft etc never did so I'm excited for whatever they make.

Kuran

Banned
This seems closer to the Amiga classic 'Exile', and uncannily close in sprite resolution to the Amiga 1200 version of Exile. Terraria always reminded me of that amazingly atmospheric classic. (That I sucked at, but all the same..)

Here's a video of the beginning of the original Exile:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAvAmoTtwsY

Edit: That is HILARIOUS.. when trying to post this message NeoGaf's server blew out on me and I received a Guru Meditation error. I used to get that all the time playing Amiga games.

Whats up with NeoGaf anyway tonight?

Kuran

Banned
Let's hope they release a Mac version this time.. ! I'm sure that would give them a decent sales boost.

I only put 10 hours into Terraria (plan to do a lot more, but I'm waiting for the summer for that), but I loved every second of it. This looks really interesting so far.

Einhander

Superman meets My Little Pony.

I like the sprites in space suits and the two-legged manned robot. It seems like an interesting looking game.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
If you dig through Tiyuri's twitter, you can find some decent bits of info here and there.

His reply to one guy:
"It's a mix of diablo, metroid, castlevania, terraria, pokemon + some new stuff no one has ever done before :D"

It also looks like Tiyuri is producing this game, based on what he's posted on Twitter.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
It also looks like Tiyuri is producing this game, based on what he's posted on Twitter.
Okay, so where do we pre-purchase?

Terraria was more entertaining than Minecraft.
Maybe this one will get more time out of me than D3 and Terraria.

Tiktaalik

Looks awesome but I hope Terraria is still supported in some fashion going forward. I just recently started Hard mode and it feels incomplete and aimless compared to the earlier part of the game.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like a nice 2D game! I will keep an eye on it!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Looks awesome but I hope Terraria is still supported in some fashion going forward. I just recently started Hard mode and it feels incomplete and aimless compared to the earlier part of the game.

He was mentioning this won't interfere with Terraria's development.

Moaradin

I loved Terraria. It was probably the longest marathon I've ever had in gaming. Played for a week straight. Definitely keeping an eye out for this.

vareon

An indie developer teasing a game to be released mid 2013? That seems...huge.

This means they will be supporting Terraria for this year, though. That's fine by me.

duckroll

Okay, so apparently I am totally blind and read a tweet wrongly. Nirolak pointed out that he said middle of the year, and not middle of next year. So it's coming out this year.

Somnid

Art is definitely improved, let's hope the interface is as well (looks like it has controller support). On my radar.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
OH MY

Any game these release that is in the same vein but even better than Terraria is a must. It looks like Terraria has got a visual bump. Excited to see this in action.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Hate to be one of those lads but as long as there is co-op, I'll be there.

Based on even them screens, I would say yes. Not that it's guaranteed but with their pedigree of well......1 solid game (lol), it should not be too big a worry on whether it's in.

Atomski

He kind of implies that won't actually be in the game, and that the second horse thing is the real thing.

I hope at least.. brony stuff kinda creeps me out.

Anyways I remember when Terraria stuff first started popping up the characters looked just like Final Fantasy sprites but they were removed before release. Probably be the same case here.

duckroll

He kind of implies that won't actually be in the game, and that the second horse thing is the real thing.

Either that, or we're looking at some very elaborate equipment/customization options for characters, and they're going to find some way to hide the copyright infringement deep in the game, like the Link costume in Terraria. Lol.

Top Bottom