• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New update for Miiverse : brand new look

L~A

Looks like Miiverse got a brand new look today, maybe in preparation for the 3DS version? It now explicitly mentions which communities are for Wii U... but you can't check out any 3DS communities yet. Changes are only for the main menu, apparently.

There has been an update to Miiverse today. This update is designed to prepare for the launch of Miiverse on Nintendo 3DS. Besides the existing communities for Wii U software, many new communities will be created for Nintendo 3DS software and even more users will join Miiverse. With this in mind, we have made the following changes to both the Wii U and web versions of Miiverse:

1. New display options in the community list You can now display more communities at once, with the newest communities displayed first. You can also use a filter to display communities based on categories such as “Wii U software”, “Virtual Console” and so on.

2. A change to the profile page Your profile no longer displays the total number of Yeahs you have given. However, you can still see the number of Yeahs on individual posts.

3. A change to the default display setting within a community Until now, when you entered a community, the newest posts were displayed first. From now on, posts by people who have played the game will be displayed by default.

This was already announced in the latest Nintendo Direct, but I wanted to remind you that Miiverse is coming to Nintendo 3DS in December. Please note that a Nintendo Network ID is required to use Miiverse on Nintendo 3DS. If you already have a Nintendo Network ID on Wii U, you can continue using the same ID on your Nintendo 3DS. For more details, please visit the official Nintendo website.

Unofficial list of changes :

- new look for the main community page (two games per line)
- new "Spotlight!" bar at the top
- it now specifies which console the communities are for
- all game communities appear under the same category now, but you can use filter to look for Wii U games / VC / Others
- faster loading? (not confirmed)
- Profile doesn't show the total of Yeah! you received anymore.
- can't save pictures from the web version of Miiverse (only pics, doodles seem to be fine)

Here's some pics (Thanks Oni Link) :

GZwZZlK.jpg

Ks71GxK.jpg

sroKBnW.jpg

ZxYwjlx.jpg

OMf4iO3.jpg

Thanks to VOOK for warning me on Twitter ;)

Less scrolling is nice. It could just be me, but things feel a bit faster, as far as loading community posts and images. Even loading miiverse, in general, feels a tiny bit faster.

The two columns and ability to filter communities will help finding the one you want but they could really use a search option when more communities are added later.

Just checked now, same time to load the Wii U version.

If you close miiverse, and open it again, it loads it really fast. Same goes for viewing images. If you close miiverse, open the browser, than open miiverse. Its the standard loading time. Is this how it always was, or is it taking advantage of the ram?

L~A

Pretty sure this update is there to prepare for the 3DS version of Miiverse. Can't wait for the official patch notes, to see what else they changed.

PS : can a mod please change the title for to "New update for Miiverse (Wii U) : new look for the main community page"?

L~A

I don't like how the communities don't have numbers anymore... Seems like a weird thing to remove.

Then again, those numbers served no real purpose... they just showed how many people posted in that community, not the number of posts. If it makes for better navigation, I think it's a good thing they removed that.

cacildo

Nice changes!!!

It was really needed. But these things will grow and evolve with time, its impossible to get it right out of the gate

I don't like how the communities don't have numbers anymore... Seems like a weird thing to remove.

Thats sad. It was a really nice way of measuring popularity of a game

Last time i checked, Super Mario 3d World was almost at 50000, with less than a week of the game out (that´s huge for Miiverse numbers - Deus Ex, a game that apears to have sold very poorly, had 6000 with more than one month out)

mstevens

Then again, those numbers served no real purpose... they just showed how many people posted in that community, not the number of posts. If it makes for better navigation, I think it's a good thing they removed that.

Ehh. I kinda liked that it was the number of people who posted. It was fun watching some of my favorite games like EarthBound slowly grow.

Oh well, I'm sure they had a good reason for taking it out.

edit: Hmm. Now when I go to my profile and hit "show more" under the top info part, it doesn't say how many "Yeah!" I have. This isn't a big deal to me at all, but it's also a strange thing to remove.

69wpm

Total Yeahs received has been removed from the user profile, thank God. It was annoying how people begged for Yeahs. Miiverse shouldn't be a popularity contest.

L~A

Blablabla

Thanks, gonna add those to the OP.

They need to add a section for games the user owns.

Yup, they really need to. At least have a filter or something. They could also add one for

Does this imply the 3DS update might actually be early December as opposed to 31st December 11:59pm?

Not necessarily, but there's a good chance, yeah. They definitely wouldn't be pushing that so soon if that wasn't the case. Guess the update could be released next monday/tuesday.

Metal B

Does this imply the 3DS update might actually be early December as opposed to 31st December 11:59pm?
The latest date for the update will be right before Christmas. Nintendo properly wants Miiverse ready, when then children boot up there new 3DSs for the first time.

kitsuneyo

My activity feed is loading a lot better on the web today, so far. I almost started a thread about how it used to not load at all, cos I was wondering if there was a fix and if it happened to other people. Hopefully it gets better from here on in.

They need to add a section for games the user owns.

That could be handy, but favourites sort of does that job.

The latest date for the update will be right before Christmas. Nintendo properly wants Miiverse ready, when then children boot up there new 3DSs for the first time.

Do they though? I'd wager a good time was around Pokemon... and they missed that. I wouldn't count on them being punctual for any logical reason.

Berordn

I guess that explains why I haven't been able to connect to it for the last day and a half on my WIi U.

I hope.

L~A

Nah, it wouldn't matter anyway : people would still need to update the 3DS to get Miiverse.

My activity feed is loading a lot better on the web today, so far. I almost started a thread about how it used to not load at all, cos I was wondering if there was a fix and if it happened to other people. Hopefully it gets better from here on in.

That could be handy, but favourites sort of does that job.

Hmm, never had any problems loading the activity feed, though it sometimes glitches and only shows post from one users, or several weeks old posts.

I guess that explains why I haven't been able to connect to it for the last day and a half on my WIi U.

I hope.

Don't think so, there wasn't any maintenance this week, other than the usual weekly one.

N43SAb5.jpg

QoAJxzi.jpg

4w0l07t.jpg

Thanks for all the yeahs guys! = Give me more yeahs!

YouTube App community = Miiverse OT. Nobody actually uses that thing.

Oh boy, I can already see loads of "Give the Yeah! counter back!!!!!" messages posted on the YouTube community :p

By the way, I can't save pictures from the web version of Miiverse.... is it just me? : /

Dang0

Do you think they'll add every released 3ds game to miiverse? Cause if so, theres gonna be a lot of communities, and a lot will be ghost towns.

Sendou

By the way, I can't save pictures from the web version of Miiverse.... is it just me? : /

Noticed the same thing but I thought I was just failing like usual... Guess not :/

Maybe Nintendo wants people to use the better quality web upload to show off Wii U games...?

Top Bottom