• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Valkyria (Media Vision, RPG [not SRPG], new world) and VC1 Remaster for PS4 (JP)

Judging by some pixel-counting of the black-borders in the Remaster screenshots, I'm just going to say that it's obviously just a PS4 port of the PC version set to either 1080p/60 or 4k/30 (Hard to tell with Famitsu's love of low-rezzies.)

Hmm, what I find interesting is the lack of white-borders on those cutscene screenshots.

I'd love to see it in motion for two reasons:
  1. To see the artstyle and scale in motion.
  2. To actually see where they're doing with everything, it's not quite clear yet. I want to know how it plays.

Nyoro SF

Judging by some pixel-counting of the black-borders in the Remaster screenshots, I'm just going to say that it's obviously just a PS4 port of the PC version set to either 1080p/60 or 4k/30 (Hard to tell with Famitsu's love of low-rezzies.)

Hmm, what I find interesting is the lack of white-borders on those cutscene screenshots.

OK I actually zoomed in and I can confirm they are using screenshots from the BETA version of the PS3 game. They even have the shot of Alicia crouching behind a bench lol.

Lancer and Edelweiss have the beta design, the mini-map has the old grid before they removed it and they have the beta AP bar.

Nice work Famitsu, staying on top of your game. Dude probably dusted off a folder from 2008 and just grabbed the first shots he saw. lol

OK I actually zoomed in and I can confirm they are using screenshots from the BETA version of the PS3 game. They even have the shot of Alicia crouching behind a bench lol.

Lancer and Edelweiss have the beta design, the mini-map has the old grid before they removed it and they have the beta AP bar.

Nice work Famitsu, staying on top of your game. Dude probably dusted off a folder from 2008 and just grabbed the first shots he saw. lol

Oh, whoops. I was working off of screenshots posted on another forum and crossposting from there. Couldn't tell if PS3 or remaster since the Famitsu screenies I was seeing were all from BHBF.

Replicant

The missing sock on the female protagonist is really bugging me. I hope she finds it.

vqMOTbo.gif

xoxo,
SEGA

One more screenshot:

At least the graphics are good. I just hope that the gameplay is better than simple hack & slash action RPG, and that not everyone uses swords. (Why..?)

Seriously, I've only seen one character use a gun so far.

Um... all three characters are holding rifles in this screen shot (well middle and right are. Left looks like she is from her posture^^)

yami4ct

Those screenshots are gorgeous. Game will look good at the very least.

As for the battle system, I don't think it matters if characters are locked to weapons as long as you can pick which one you control like you can in Tales games. If you want to play guns, pick a character with guns. I hope they all have gone so you can have tons of party options, but it won't be too big a deal if they lock weapons.

Reveirg

If its Yuki Kajura I'll cry.
Oh man, now I'll be disappointed if it's not her, why did you have to bring her up!
It's a real shame she hasn't worked on any video games since Xenosaga III. The work she did on that and Xenosaga 2 was amazing.

On another note, what are the chances VC's remaster gets a physical release in North America? :|

The screenshots look nice. The graphics look very good, even if I'm not digging the Shining-esque character designs so much.

I miss Raita designs like Rosie the Riveter. <3

I loved VC2 and VC3 so even if the series went to handheld again, I'd be okay with that.

Hopefully this game is fun and Valkyria-ish, even if I end up preferring Senjou.

Nyoro SF

cover for Valkyria Chronicle remaster

CUJScT0UcAA6BW6.jpg:orig

Also, Chinese localization for the remaster confirmed.

That's a sick cover. Is that an original art piece? If so I'm very happy they're putting out original artwork for the series again!

Also, interesting they're branching out to Asian markets with this remaster. There are a ton of Steam screenshots using Chinese (and Korean and Russian) modded translations, so I can see where the appeal might be.

(And of course no word on an English version yet... orz)

EDIT: OH GOD I just realized, the PS4 remaster is definitely getting remastered FMV cutscenes so they don't look like fuzzy junk. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, Sega Europe pls save us PC users.

Apparently LeGION stands for, "“Lead a Group Into Outrage & Numerous Army.” Heh.

Yeah, famitsu just got delivered to the office and I looked over the content.

Not much info obviously, but it does sound like they are going to incorporate some simulation elements into the game. I want to hear more!

Pretty hyped for this one I gotta say. Will probably double dip on VC1 to get the demo.

Ponn

Banned
If both of these get localized I will be able to play the original VC and the new one both on my Vita. Nothing else will ever get played on my Vita ever again.

Squire

Banned
Putting the PS4's graphical power to work I see.

I hope it plays as good as it looks, whatever combat system they are planning to use.

Yeah, it's definitely going to be a looker. It occurred to me today we're probably somewhat fortunate that it seems to be a PS4 exclusive. PS3/Vita compromise is still holding a lot of titles back from a visual standpoint, sadly.

Nyoro SF

So I finally read the Famitsu article talking about the remaster...

- Valkyria Chronicles 1 PS3 has shipped over 1 million units worldwide.
- All the DLC for VC1 is included in the PS4 remaster just like the PC version.

However they recommitted to resolutions, and didn't mention framerate, so it's likely the remaster will stay at 30fps, which will be a bummer.

So I finally read the Famitsu article talking about the remaster...

- Valkyria Chronicles 1 PS3 has shipped over 1 million units worldwide.
- All the DLC for VC1 is included in the PS4 remaster just like the PC version.

However they recommitted to resolutions, and didn't mention framerate, so it's likely the remaster will stay at 30fps, which will be a bummer.

The PC version supported 60 fps but that broke some timing-based mechanics which were tied to framerate. The most notable example was enemy interception fire while your player character ran around the stages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9mjfwey9rE

This was patched later on to make enemy interception fire work the same at all framerates.

If the PS4 remaster is a direct port of the PC version, we can assume they'll use the patched version which works correctly at 60 fps. Maybe.

sega4ever

Not a Strat RPG?

That's a HUUUUUUGE bummer.

The screenshots look nice. The graphics look very good, even if I'm not digging the Shining-esque character designs so much.

I miss Raita designs like Rosie the Riveter. <3

I loved VC2 and VC3 so even if the series went to handheld again, I'd be okay with that.

Hopefully this game is fun and Valkyria-ish, even if I end up preferring Senjou.

now that you mention shining its cool that they are doing different genres for this series of games like the shining games.

Nyoro SF

It invokes a lot of nostalgia for me, although I think I actually like the US PS3 cover more. This one seems too... leisurely?

Personally I abhor the American cover, I don't like how it split it horizontally and made Selvaria Valkyria the focus. Made it look less like a war game and more like a generic anime game. Plus I think the localized logo looks cheap compared to the Japanese one.

The Japanese cover isn't much better either; it's just a roster mashup with poor coloring, but at least the logo is better.

This new cover is probably the best of them all. Nice and simple and no doubt as to the setting of the game.

The PC version supported 60 fps but that broke some timing-based mechanics which were tied to framerate. The most notable example was enemy interception fire while your player character ran around the stages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9mjfwey9rE

This was patched later on to make enemy interception fire work the same at all framerates.

If the PS4 remaster is a direct port of the PC version, we can assume they'll use the patched version which works correctly at 60 fps. Maybe.

Well, my friend, you are preaching to the choir because I know all this :)
Beat the PC version twice, both pre and post patch for the 60fps. And pre-patch was much better. But on the bright side, I helped collaborate a little bit with a PC mod that properly adjusts the game's balance to be challenging..

However the thing is, if they were going to make the PS4 version 60fps, there's no way they wouldn't announce that in the press release. It's not uncommon at all to announce a framerate improvement in a press release like this. The fact that they didn't do it makes me think that they aren't going to bother unless someone can bring up a counter-example.

Kyoufu

However the thing is, if they were going to make the PS4 version 60fps, there's no way they wouldn't announce that in the press release. It's not uncommon at all to announce a framerate improvement in a press release like this. The fact that they didn't do it makes me think that they aren't going to bother unless someone can bring up a counter-example.

Perhaps, but 60fps doesn't exactly make or break this game so I don't think that is necessarily the case.

I played Valkyria Chronicles on PC earlier this year and absolutely loved it. Ended up putting 65+ hours into it. I hope the new game gets a PC release too, since Chronicles sold so well on Steam.

Nyoro SF

Perhaps, but 60fps doesn't exactly make or break this game so I don't think that is necessarily the case.

Well... I personally think that 60fps brings out the game's beauty in a fluidity that just makes it absolutely amazing. It's breathtaking during combat scenes and ESPECIALLY during talking heads cutscenes. Watching tanks roll by or lancers recoiling at full framerates is a treat for the eyes.

Still going to buy the PS4 version even if it's 30fps though, because I want the demo code. lol

Well... I personally think that 60fps brings out the game's beauty in a fluidity that just makes it absolutely amazing. It's breathtaking during combat scenes and ESPECIALLY during talking heads cutscenes. Watching tanks roll by or lancers recoiling at full framerates is a treat for the eyes.

Still going to buy the PS4 version even if it's 30fps though, because I want the demo code. lol

*drools* I really need to build a damn gaming PC already.

t26

That's a sick cover. Is that an original art piece? If so I'm very happy they're putting out original artwork for the series again!

Also, interesting they're branching out to Asian markets with this remaster. There are a ton of Steam screenshots using Chinese (and Korean and Russian) modded translations, so I can see where the appeal might be.

EDIT: OH GOD I just realized, the PS4 remaster is definitely getting remastered FMV cutscenes so they don't look like fuzzy junk. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, Sega Europe pls save us PC users.

Also worth noting the Chinese version will be out a week before Japan

They been pretty good at support the Asian or more specifically the Chinese market. Chinese Yakuza 0 sold well. They localized Phantasy Star Nova and Shining Resonance in Chinese so they will likely localized the new game as well.

*drools* I really need to build a damn gaming PC already.

It's a port of a PS3 game, it runs well even on potato computers. Intel integrated graphics from the past few years can easily run it and look better than the 720p on the PS3.

I was running it in 4K on a GTX 680 and there were a few bits of minor slowdown while crawling in grass but it was otherwise locked at 60 fps. On a GTX 680 in 4K. Yeah.

It will probably go on Flash Sale during the Steam Winter Sale, grab it when it does.

That's great and all but I just have an old laptop with an Intel Celeron CPU and 2 GB of ram. Doubt I could run it any better than the PS3 version.

But when I do build a gaming PC this is definitely one of the very first games I intend to try on it :)

The screenshots looking fucking beautiful. Stunningly beautiful even. Inspired art direction in all three screens. The game looks amazing. This is also the best Sega related news in years and at a guess is representative of Sega adapting to become "new and awesome Sega" that they've been echoing in their recent statements this year. The effect of the new CEO taking over and Sega heading in a better direction focusing on their legacy and hardcore fans seems to finally be coming to fruition. Azure Revolution along with the PS4 remaster seems to be the first promising sign of that I think.

Seeing the ridiculous amount of effort they're putting in to Valkyria and how promising and amazing Revolution looks in tandem with their new focus on ensuring quality via extended development time (which the screenshots portray quite clearly though admittedly it's still early) - it makes me excited for their other legacy franchises. A sign of things to come? It's also positive for Sonic as we're supposed to be seeing what Sonic Team have been up to next year. If Valkyria looks this good maybe we'll actually get a decent Sonic game and potentially see other legacy franchises revived.

Also for those dismayed at this being a spin-off I think the VC1 remaster indicates that the Chronicles arm of the series is as far away from dead as you can possibly get. A remaster of the original game says to me there's the potential for another Chronicles game on the PS4 happening in the future.

Guess we'll need to see how these two projects fare commercially first.

That cover might be taken from apDesign Archive for vc1

Falk

that puzzling face

Why?

FFX on PS4 has upscaled FMVs.

Not all the FMVs in VC are sort-of-engine renders. There were some pretty elaborate visual FX etc. in some of them which would be extremely tricky to reproduce without all the source material.

Don't take this the wrong way, but this is as baseless a speculation (albeit positive instead of negative) as the pachinko/mobile doom and gloom from the two trademark threads.

Top Bottom