• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Virtua Fighter 5R from Arcadia

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
This is a copy/paste of a summary I wrote up for VFDC. If you want to see the original thread then it's here: http://virtuafighter.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/202225#Post202225

all of this info is in the May issue of Arcadia magazine.

New character talk
In regards to the new characters, they will have their own interesting systems powering them, but Kataoka didn't reveal what exactly they would be. For the "familiar" character (the sumo guy), he still gives off the impression that he's a bit hard to take down. Right now he thinks that they'll be adding in new elements like unique throws (for the characters throwing him) and graphics. Duh. The interview comments about if the sumo wrestler can actually do Offensive Move (down or up and P+K+G) at all lol, and Kataoka laughs and says of course he can do it, even though he looks a little bit too big to pull it off. They actually tried to do a lot of different things with the sumo wrestler, such as taking away the ability to jump, taking away OM, and other stuff, but they felt that going that far didn't really work out.

For the other new character (karate guy), Kataoka says that it's a bit hard to explain, but he uses a striking style. He states that it's a style that is new to the series and hasn't really been done before in VF. He states that him and his team are creating a type of character and style that people can have fun with. At the moment he can't give any other details, even something as simple as the name. I guess there will be some sort of detailed breakdown on this new character in the future, and Kataoka doesn't want to spoil the surprise for us.

System Talk
The stages seem to be remixed a bit. There's a screenshot of what seems to be Shun's stage, but now instead of an open ring it's a low wall ring. The background has also changed so it doesn't look like early morning with the mist, but mid-afternoon with blue skies. BLUE SKIES! One thing they point out is that the stages will be remixed, and depending on the round, there will be open walls or closed walls (Not sure I'm reading this right, I just skimmed through it). So, round 1 might be the high walls and then round 2 might be the low walls that you can launch people over. Sounds interesting if what I'm reading is correct.

Breakable walls will be reintroduced, but not in the same way as in VF4. Now, there will be breakable walls but entire sides of walls can be broken in one shot. In other words, if one segment of the wall is broken, then the whole thing comes down.

The new side guard system is indeed in place, and was implemented as they felt that in VF5 there were a lot of opportunities where you could use a side guard. It's mentioned that the time it takes for the guard to "harden" (I'm guessing execution time) is longer than a usual guard, so it's not like a regular guard. The interviewer asked "So it'll be easier to land a big hit if you're turned sideways?" and Kataoka simply answered "Yeah, you got a good imagination."

When asked if the side guard is the main change to the VF5 system, Kataoka replies that along with the side guard, there will be a bunch of other changes to the game. Stuff like command inputs for moves may be changed, so something like d/f, d/f may be changed to just forward, and stuff like that. However, they want to ensure that players don't end up in situations where they think "eh? I read this guy perfectly but the move I wanted didn't come out", so they're aiming for commands that match the move. On the subject of modifying existing moves, Kataoka says that they're definitely going to change up some of the moves already in the game. They'll do their best on their end.

Finally, at the end of the interview Kataoka says that there should be new ranks for VF5R.

Anyway, I feel that other than the Karate guy, Kataoka gave out some pretty interesting details in this interview. I guess he doesn't want to reveal too much about the new characters since they use new sub-systems that could potentially be copied easily, but oh well. I guess we'll find out more in the coming months.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Very interesting details there, thanks - the thing about VF5 is little things like these may not sound like anything more than tiny tweaks in coding, but it sounds like it's going to shake up the gameplay quite a bit from this article alone...

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Wondering whether I should grab VF5 for the PS3 or wait in blind hope that VF5R somehow hits consoles in a year or two.

Pachael

The variation in the walls formula is interesting and I'd like to see whether fighters will adapt their play around the walls. Side guarding also sounds like a good idea, though I think Kataoka has a few plans on his own...

Hunahan

Banned
Sounds pretty good.

The Riku-looking karate dude didn't really stand out to me in the trailer, but I definitely want to see how they handle a sumo wrestler in VF.

Honestly, though, I'd be a lot more excited if I knew I might be able to actually play it.

Oichi

Just FYI for Tokyo GAF people, there is a Virtua Fighter 5R location test happening from the 18th until the 24th. It'll be in Club Sega Shinjuku West Exit... if you guys have the time and are interested in VF, please make your way out there and post impressions! I believe Srider mentioned he might go there if he has time.

and here's a small, but new screenshot of the game. The sumo ring looks hot!

2415145847_b1267e37e2_o.jpg

speedpop said:
Wondering whether I should grab VF5 for the PS3 or wait in blind hope that VF5R somehow hits consoles in a year or two.

I think you are better off getting the PS3 version so you can enjoy it now. You can even find the game cheap nowadays. The game is excellent and it is worth the $55 I spent on it when it first came out. Definitely worth the reduced price. There is no guarantee VF5R is even coming to consoles, so this will be a good warm up for you if it does eventally come to the home consoles. I hope this does come out at home since arcades are terrible where I live at.

neight

Banned
Reno said:
Just FYI for Tokyo GAF people, there is a Virtua Fighter 5R location test happening from the 18th until the 24th. It'll be in Club Sega Shinjuku West Exit... if you guys have the time and are interested in VF, please make your way out there and post impressions! I believe Srider mentioned he might go there if he has time.

and here's a small, but new screenshot of the game. The sumo ring looks hot!

2415145847_b1267e37e2_o.jpg
Oh thank God they got rid of the plasticky look.

D-X

I must've become slightly lax when it comes to keeping up with VF - I didn't know Taka was back

D-X said:
I must've become slightly lax when it comes to keeping up with VF - I didn't know Taka was back

Oh yes siree. Their excuse for dropping him for the VF4 series was that his collision detection would have been too different. I can't have been the only one, when I saw Wolf/Jeffrey and El Blaze and the size differences who was hopeful that meant a return for the rotund gentleman.

I hope there is a PS3 version at some point. As much as I love VF5 it's a pretty dissapointingly barebones port, that takes several steps back from the last home conversion.

If they port it, I hope they:-

a) Online play - as far as fighters go, pandora's box has been opened, there's no closing it now.

b) Bring back quest orders. Also I think it was a mistake making all the arcades available from the start, takes away a sense of progression.

c) One unified save file for each user that covers all characters. Also allowing money earned by one character to be used by another.

d) Speaking of earning money, it should be rewarded for every fight, rather than just randomly hoping for an item battle.

e) When customising clothing let the player set each colour for all the different aspects of an item (ie. colours and trimming, any embroidery, etc.)

Oichi

This is a report from the location test by Makatiel over at VFDC. God this update sounds fucking LOADED. I can't wait for this release! Hopefully it brings a lot more players back onto the scene, because it seems like T6 and Gundam vs. Gundam is stealing a lot of thunder away from VF.

Makatiel said:
First let me apologize and say, I suck. I was pretty much unable to get a video. I have half of a match between Jeff and Akira, but it wasn't even a good match and it doesn't show anything really interesting. I got caught recording it and had to turn it off in the middle. If you nevertheless want to see it, please let me know and I can email it to someone. Like I said, I have no way of uploading it onto the net.

I do have some good information though. Please keep in mind that all of this was from a location test, which means that much or even all of it could change. In fact, it could change tomorrow. We'll see.

1) I have a PDF (1MB) scan of the flyer that was given out during the location test. It contains some (not all) of the new moves for each character and a bunch of moves for Taka and Jean.

2) Two new characters:
a) Yes, the karate guy is a guy. He is French and is named Jean Kujo. He is pretty interesting to play. He has lots of charge moves (and I mean A LOT). Looking at the partial move list, 14 of the 20 listed moves can be charged. Cool. He seemed to have some place holder moves (p+k,p is Jeffrey's p+k,p), but who knows. He also has some weird and interesting crumble / stuns. 66p does this weird stomach stun I've never seen before. 3p on counter does like a spinning knock down like Lau's 6k+g. He's got some pretty mean looking throws, most of which are a series of strikes. His heavy pounce takes a shit load of time to land. He's in the air, like flying for almost a second. Looks awesome, but I could only land it once cause it takes so long. He seemed to have lots of canned combos and mix ups. Again, I thought he was damn fun to play, even though I only knew like 20 or 30 moves.
b) Taka was so, so awesome. I wish he was even bigger, but that's okay. He's retained his 180 throw and a bunch of his rush downs as well as his catch throw. He also has this really cool 3 hit string that ends with a shoulder ram. His heavy pounce is pretty much him falling on you. Hahahaha. Awesome. Lots of throws have been reanimated for him specifically. Some of the best ones are with the other characters just struggling to pick him up. Also, knocking him down makes him go nowhere. So many moves and canned combos miss on him cause he's so damn heavy and just drops to the ground before he can eat the second or third hit. People are going to have to really learn how to play specifically against him again. AWESOME.

3) System changes that I noticed:
a) They changed low punch. It has a different animation, seems to have shorter reach and maybe different frame stats. It definitely seemed less useful.
b) Throws seem to have 2 damage settings. My guess is that if you just get a normal throw off, it does 100% damage, but if you get a throw off during move recovery, you get like 125% damage. For big throws, the damage was HUGE. I'm not exactly sure when you get the high damage throw though. I think this will be a huge boon for grapplers.
c) No attacks out of OM. OM is the same command (DM + pgk), but you can no longer attack out of it. I also saw side guard a few times but I have no idea what it does.
d) Rising attacks were changed! I think you can no longer even do a rising attack if you are facing down. I'm not exactly sure, but I was talking to someone there and that's what he thought too. Crazy!
e) Watching the VFTV thing while I was on line, I heard the announcer say something interesting: When someone hit a big combo, he said: "Saidai dameji ni chikai" which means "Has almost reached max damage" or something like that. I think maybe they've added a damage cap. Scaling already existed obviously, but I think we'll probably no longer see any more 120pt damage wall combos from Jeffrey.
f) Stages are fucking awesome. There were quite a few awesome ones, my favorite being the rectangular one with fences on the long sides and openings at the ends (kind of like the exact opposite of the subway stage in VF3). Really cool. Also saw the octagonal stage and the stage that switches between fenced and no fences. I also saw a stage that seemed to have a really low fence, like just above your ankles. It was weird.

4) I was talking to a guy there and we were both surprised at how much seemed to have changed. Lots of attacks seemed to have different properties than what they used to have and there were definitely more kinds of flops and slams and bounds. For example, Akira's double jump kick on the second kick flops the opponent (slow head over heels like Goh's catch throw), but it's a flop from which the victim can recover.

5) Specific character stuff that I noticed:
a) They changed a few of the commands for Goh. 6p+k,p is now his two punch combo (6p,p from VF5). It still connects and I think it does the same damage. The original 6p+k,p (elbow combo thing) seems to be gone. However, they gave Goh a couple of nice things to make up for it, the most important being 3p,p (mid, high). Both attacks connect on regular hit and it grants a spinning knockdown. It's pretty fast, but I don't think it's 14 frames. Goh also has a pkp now. The last p doesn't connect on hit, but if it does hit, it automatically goes into a throw. Sweet. His shoulder ram is now 2_3 p+k, which means (I think) that you can 33p+k it. Sweet. He also has this very short range, long start up QCFp+k, which is like this headbutt. I bet it gives a crumble on hit, but I never hit with it. They also changed the animation for his 270 forward throw. It's like a slam then a neck break. Still seems to do 70pts or so of damage.
b) Goddamn Pai is still annoying. I just wanted to say that.
c) I think Kage's hurricane stance has been weakened. The 2k,k seems to do much less damage (though it still knocks down).
d) They gave Jeff a jumping punch/elbow thing just like Wolf. It goes over low punches and sets up for a good combo. Awesome.

----

Oh, two awesome El Blaze things I remember.
1) He has this awesome pile driver throw that I think is his new big throw. I ate it on mC and definitely did more than 80pts of damage.
2) El Blaze also has this Jacky like hit throw. I bet the command is the same (3p+k, on hit, p+g). He does this stomach punch, then while he's kind of under you, he reaches up and grabs your face and smashes your nose on his forehead. It looks really cool.

----

Some of the coolest throws on Taka were those by El Blaze and Vanessa. They had to climb up mad high to get on Taka. For one of El Blaze's throws (I think regular p+g) where he suplexes the opponent, for Taka, he does this jump up first to get momentum from gravity then does this meaty suplex, where Taka just kind rolls onto the floor. It looks awesome and funny.

In VF5R, there are 10 types of stages and flying-type attacks have been increased (!!!) [I'm guessing this means yes!]. There are stages where of the 4 sides, only one has a wall and others where you can break walls or the walls will change. Special wall moves and attacks that use walls have also been increased. Use of walls and keeping conscious of your surroundings will be more important than ever.

----

I'm sure I can think of other stuff, but I'll just post this for now. When I remember more, I'll post more.

Movelist scans. These moves only show the moves that have changed or are new in VF5R.
VF5R01.jpg

VF5R02.jpg

KTallguy

Banned
Reno said:
This is a report from the location test by Makatiel over at VFDC. God this update sounds fucking LOADED. I can't wait for this release! Hopefully it brings a lot more players back onto the scene, because it seems like T6 and Gundam vs. Gundam is stealing a lot of thunder away from VF.

Wow, that's a lot of shit.
If it's that different, I may start playing again. Damn.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Good stuff! Thanks Reno. I can only hope Sega does the right thing and pumps out a meaty port to PS3/360.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I said wow!

Reno, in the new arcadia, any T6 coverage? :p

I didn't see anything mentioned on the cover, so I'm assuming it's just the usual 1-2 page monthly report... lol... I'll buy it if it has anything new ^_^

ukiraros

OMG, that sounds really good. I hope there will be PS3 port with online this time.

Man, I can't believe Taka is back.

Thanks for the info Reno.

Oichi

MarkMan said:
I said wow!

Reno, in the new arcadia, any T6 coverage? :p

I didn't see anything mentioned on the cover, so I'm assuming it's just the usual 1-2 page monthly report... lol... I'll buy it if it has anything new ^_^

Nah, I didn't notice any T6 stuff at all actually. I think VF5 only got like 3 pages this month too...

atomico

KTallguy said:
I'll be extremely pissed if VF5R doesn't come to PS3.

I love VF5, but unless VF5R was around $20, like vf4:evo was (fat chance, I know. even $40 would be pushing it), I'm not buying this again.

yeah, still bitter about the PS3 port :lol
I can live without online play, but come on, no system/content updates either...?

sennin

Akira's SPoD and Goh's Basara execution = 8 frames. That's what they left out. =/ Shoulder ram should float too... :lol

I wonder if this will be available for home plays. VF 4 FT was never ported for consoles...

Oichi

first footage of it... already there's a ton of new stuff just from this one match. Sarah's flip kick and Akira's double jump kick give different flops, and the stage looks like a remix of Eileen's stage, only with sand instead of water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyOBYKVWpyQ

AND IT'S TAKA. TAKA. TAKAAAAAAAA! Really awesome footage here. Everything looks so much smoother and stuff, and LOL @ taka's wall throw.

http://dogalog.excite.co.jp/viewvideo.jspx?Movie=48267743/48267743peevee149802.flv

edit:

More Taka: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMsYGM6Qdug

YouTube vids credited to Shou

Reno said:
first footage of it... already there's a ton of new stuff just from this one match. Sarah's flip kick and Akira's double jump kick give different flops, and the stage looks like a remix of Eileen's stage, only with sand instead of water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyOBYKVWpyQ

AND IT'S TAKA. TAKA. TAKAAAAAAAA! Really awesome footage here. Everything looks so much smoother and stuff, and LOL @ taka's wall throw.

http://dogalog.excite.co.jp/viewvideo.jspx?Movie=48267743/48267743peevee149802.flv

*drools*

haunts

Bacon of Hope
good god i cant wait.

any vidz of the karate d00d?

any idea if taka is in a weight class of his own?

Oichi

El Blaze vs. Taka. lol @ the wall jump splash, and even bigger lawl at the attempted suplex by El Blaze. Taka is a monster! This stage fucking rocks. It's Lei-Fei's stage, but open on two ends and very narrow to start off. It'd be pretty hard to ring out anyone in this arena...

Credit to Shou
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5kjhQJKUR0

I really like the way Taka falls. Not just for a big character, but period. I'd love to see a Japanese made fighting game without the excessive juggling.

Bebpo

Banned
Reno said:
El Blaze vs. Taka. lol @ the wall jump splash, and even bigger lawl at the attempted suplex by El Blaze. Taka is a monster! This stage fucking rocks. It's Lei-Fei's stage, but open on two ends and very narrow to start off. It'd be pretty hard to ring out anyone in this arena...

Credit to Shou
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5kjhQJKUR0

Wow, the stage is awesome. I hope there are more like this with the walls so close. Wall jump attacks may actually become useful!

Oichi

Souther

Banned
Damn! Jean Kujo looks awesome. Seems like a badass aswell in the style of Goh.

In the end though Goh is still the best!

sennin

Taka had 2 huge problems in VF 3, even though he cannot be floated by lifters.

i.) knee strikes stagger stun him in standing animation, and nitaku always favors the attacker. Taka's reverse nitaku game is woefully limited..

ii.) p, 2p and elbow strikes intercept about 80% of his moves. Ouch, all those fanciful palm strikes always end up in liberal MCs for Taka's opponent.

...which is why if someone uses him in arcades and wins, there's often some awe involved. Use Jacky/Lau/Kage and win? Boo, watch the other 10 000 clones do the same. :lol

I hope Taka's return puts him at least in A class tier; if not S class. It will be quite disheartening to witness deja vu for the sumo wrestler, considering he is representing Japan's no. 1 sport. Come to think of it, Goh did not go very far in promoting Judo in VF 4 too...

Akira's SDE is now back to stomach crumble on MC? >_> So much for practicing SDE float > p > p > double palm or SDE float > p > yoho > pk... Today's applause for contemporary strings are subjected to fashion scorn in tomorrow's iteration of cool combos.

Well, at least WCG chose 360 v. C and it is unlikely to change. Change is good actually, it means VF 5:R is coming to 360!! :D

KdoubleA

Aggelos said:
Jean is badass!
Can only hope that VF5R is going to come out on consoles someday....

Same here...Jean looks interesting to play and his Karate fighting style is something I know I'm gonna love.

Any word on if the music has been remixed? I really liked VF5's soundtrack, and I would actually prefer if it stayed the same rather than seeing them fucking it up.

Top Bottom