• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Walking Dead AAA VR game trailer

Romulus

Saints and Sinners

Coming to all major VR platforms, including psvr and Quest

Vast World To Explore in VR
Crafting, exploration, freedom of choice and visceral combat make this a deep, 15+ hour game built for VR

I'm digging the depth of the world and physics alot.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
It's the second thread you open in which you express a very elastic idea of what an "AAA" game is. 🤔

I'm starting to see a trend :messenger_smirking:

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I hate the narrator's voice.

Also doesn't really look like a triple A game to me, the largest "horde" from the final seconds of the trailer is only about 20 zombies, graphics also look really mediocre.

Last edited:

Romulus

Sure.

This is an AAA game.

This isn't.

You're welcome :pie_hugging

I like how you post an example of probably the top tier game of the gen, as if theres no room beneath that.

What about the original Dying Light? :)

Or how about this, post an actual definition of AAA.

I'm not a graphics snob by any means but the facial animations at the end of that trailer totally killed any tension the scene could have had.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
This is not an AAA game, it's a smaller unknown dev's first serious effort (they have another VR game, a mech themed shooter that also had a f2p multiplayer version but Vox Machinae is more my type of mech sim) and will be sold for less than 35 eur (Steam page has the price, embedded in the PC VR thread), whatever that translates to in USD. By claiming it's AAA you only set expectations higher than they should be and make it look worse. It looks fun. These new trailers (well, this trailer and IGN's 5 minute gameplay video showing some of the same areas, posted in the PC VR thread, the graveyard or whatever for the most part) are kind of shit though, especially due to the low framerate they have for whatever reason. The best and most fun representation of it is still Node's play session (also in the PC VR thread) from a while back where it showed how visceral combat against both zombies and npcs could be. Hopefully the whole game is that intense and fun but it's gonna be relatively short, not a massive sandbox adventure, so all the inventory fluff and faffing about could just feel like unnecessary padding for such a short game and like it would have been better served as a linear romp you see all the content of in one play through a la Half-Life rather than give you alternate paths that mean your first play through will be even shorter as you'll have to miss some things because they're set up as an either or scenario. Hopefully it's gonna be as good as it looks in Node's video but Boneworks also looked good when those shills played it and I found it super underwhelming (but these guys at least aren't messing around with supposedly innovative body physics that only end up getting in the way of fun and intuitive controls). We'll see in a month.

Half-Life: Alyx will probably be the first truly AAA production that has both the studio prowess and the budget to match. For now there have been AAA studios like Insomniac that have made clearly lower budget games like Stormland (compare that to their Spider Man game and you can tell it was a lot cheaper to produce) and not-AAA studios like Sanzaru that got the chance to make big games like Asgard's Wrath. We'll see if Medal of Honor by Respawn is AAA like Alyx will be but it will probably also have cut corners in comparison to say, Titanfall 2 so it may not qualify. Sniper Elite also looks good but Sniper Elite has never been an AAA franchise itself, its first VR game will certainly not be the first Sniper Elite to be AAA either. And it doesn't matter at all, if anything non AAA projects is where creativity thrives and they can be super fun and spawn sequels and even sub genres (see the Souls series). VR doesn't have to have AAA games to be legit, it's already been legit for any serious gamers worth their salt (and therefor able to look past Wii style misinformation of waggle or whatever). Trying to convince people it's full of AAA is just cringey, VR doesn't need saving.

If you want to get people excited for a VR game you can do it without misrepresenting it as AAA, you could have hidden VR still and just talked about this awesome visceral zombie slaying TWD game, the excuse for the thread being the new short trailer, ign's longer footage and the release date and preorder versions information but also incorporate some of the better looking previous media that made it look super cool to play (again such as Node's play session) since the new media really don't do it in any favors with that (again) shitty frame rate they're in for whatever reason.

Last edited:

Romulus

This is not an AAA game, it's a smaller unknown dev's first serious effort (they have another VR game, a mech themed shooter that also had a f2p multiplayer version but Vox Machinae is more my type of mech sim) and will be sold for less than 35 eur (Steam page has the price, embedded in the PC VR thread), whatever that translates to in USD. By claiming it's AAA you only set expectations higher than they should be and make it look worse. It looks fun. These new trailers (well, this trailer and IGN's 5 minute gameplay video showing some of the same areas, posted in the PC VR thread, the graveyard or whatever for the most part) are kind of shit though, especially due to the low framerate they have for whatever reason. The best and most fun representation of it is still Node's play session (also in the PC VR thread) from a while back where it showed how visceral combat against both zombies and npcs could be. Hopefully the whole game is that intense and fun but it's gonna be relatively short, not a massive sandbox adventure, so all the inventory fluff and faffing about could just feel like unnecessary padding for such a short game and like it would have been better served as a linear romp you see all the content of in one play through a la Half-Life rather than give you alternate paths that mean your first play through will be even shorter as you'll have to miss some things because they're set up as an either or scenario. Hopefully it's gonna be as good as it looks in Node's video but Boneworks also looked good when those shills played it and I found it super underwhelming (but these guys at least aren't messing around with supposedly innovative body physics that only end up getting in the way of fun and intuitive controls). We'll see in a month.

Half-Life: Alyx will probably be the first truly AAA production that has both the studio prowess and the budget to match. For now there have been AAA studios like Insomniac that have made clearly lower budget games like Stormland (compare that to their Spider Man game and you can tell it was a lot cheaper to produce) and not-AAA studios like Sanzaru that got the chance to make big games like Asgard's Wrath. We'll see if Medal of Honor by Respawn is AAA like Alyx will be but it will probably also have cut corners in comparison to say, Titanfall 2 so it may not qualify. Sniper Elite also looks good but Sniper Elite has never been an AAA franchise itself, its first VR game will certainly not be the first Sniper Elite to be AAA either. And it doesn't matter at all, if anything non AAA projects is where creativity thrives and they can be super fun and spawn sequels and even sub genres (see the Souls series). VR doesn't have to have AAA games to be legit, it's already been legit for any serious gamers worth their salt (and therefor able to look past Wii style misinformation of waggle or whatever). Trying to convince people it's full of AAA is just cringey, VR doesn't need saving.

If you want to get people excited for a VR game you can do it without misrepresenting it as AAA, you could have hidden VR still and just talked about this awesome visceral zombie slaying TWD game, the excuse for the thread being the new short trailer, ign's longer footage and the release date and preorder versions information but also incorporate some of the better looking previous media that made it look super cool to play (again such as Node's play session) since the new media really don't do it in any favors with that (again) shitty frame rate they're in for whatever reason.

I'm not going to discuss AAA classification after this post, because the game has better discussion points itself.

But theres no concrete definition for AAA, never has been. Ive seen dozens of threads were a game is argued to death over where it fits for years. AA, AA.5, AAA. Is it big budget, big dev team size, all of the above, or "polish" which isn't defined either. Then you have people that pick and choose.

Wiki:
AAA is an informal classification used for video games produced and distributed by a mid-sized or major publisher, typically having higher development and marketing
budgets.

informal, typically, mid or large publisher. Nothing concrete there. I hate to use wiki but really what else is there. There was a thread of about Anthem really being AAA because of its scores, so now that's being pushed into the convo too.

Theres no defining metric on budget or size, the devs previous work etc. In my opinion, an 15 hour vr game of this scale on several platforms is AAA.

But the lecture is a bit bizarre, just imagine it as AA in the title if it makes you feel better instead of trying to reroute people to your pcvr thread in a weird way. You mentioned it twice. You don't have any sort of special ruler for AAA because you post alot about VR. I've watched the gameplay demo and I disagree with your assertions, other than the lag bits, but its unfinished.

Last edited:

Alexios

I'm not going to discuss AAA classification after this post, because the game has better discussion points itself.

But theres no concrete definition for AAA, never has been. Ive seen dozens of threads were a game is argued to death over where it fits for years. AA, AA.5, AAA. Is it big budget, big dev team size, all of the above, or "polish" which isn't defined either. Then you have people that pick and choose.

Wiki:
AAA is an informal classification used for video games produced and distributed by a mid-sized or major publisher, typically having higher development and marketing
budgets.

informal, typically, mid or large publisher. Nothing concrete there. I hate to use wiki but really what else is there. There was a thread of about Anthem really being AAA because of its scores, so now that's being pushed into the convo too.

Theres no defining metric on budget or size, the devs previous work etc. In my opinion, an 15 hour vr game of this scale on several platforms is AAA.

But the lecture is a bit bizarre, just imagine it as AA in the title if it makes you feel better instead of trying to reroute people to your pcvr thread in a weird way. You mentioned it twice. You don't have any sort of special ruler for AAA because you post alot about VR. I've watched the gameplay demo and I disagree with your assertions, other than the lag bits, but its unfinished.
Lol. So what, I should repost all the same things I posted in the PC VR thread like this trailer but also the game's new preorder page and the 5 minute IGN video paired with it or make a new thread like this about all of it separately maybe because referring to that thread is too much for you?

Sorry I hurt your feelings by calling a small game from a small dev that will be sold for cheap not AAA if it's so important to you that things are classified as such I guess. Where do you see wikipedia's "higher dev and marketing budget" here? Higher than a one man indie project I guess, sure, lol?

Of course I'm not an authority and didn't claim so, neither are you yet you derailed your own thread by trying to make this out as AAA and now it's other people's fault that your opinion goes against commonly accepted and demonstrated on GAF over the years qualifications like your own wiki link.

Last edited:

Romulus

Lol. So what, I should repost all the same things I posted in the PC VR thread like this trailer but also the game's new preorder page and the 5 minute IGN video paired with it or make a new thread like this about all of it separately maybe because referring to that thread is too much for you?

Sorry I hurt your feelings by calling a small game from a small dev that will be sold for cheap not AAA if it's so important to you that things are classified as such I guess. Where do you see wikipedia's "higher dev and marketing budget" here? Higher than a one man indie project I guess, sure, lol?

Lol, chill. Just post a link to your pcvr thread to save time next time instead of the backdoor approach. :)

The Skydance Interactive developed title is actually a full blown AAA game without being gimmicky, which might be the entire selling point.

I can post more links, it's not some far off assertion like you want it to be.

Last edited:

Alexios

Well if jack of all controllers said so, it must be true! Maybe someone is questioned for similar statements elsewhere and he'll link your thread as proof he's right, lol! I never said you're the first with clickbait claims about this or any other game for that to be an argument. I'm chill, feel free to make new threads about anything I post in the PC VR thread, no problems, I'm happy when more people see cool VR games, if only they saw the games and not only partial information and clickbait titles that derail them before they start and set wrong expectations, but oh well. The only reason I do contain my posts there is because it's clear outside huge announcements like Alyx there's not enough interest to even maintain one, never mind separate per topic threads here, but I never told anyone not to post, it's just my personal take, so, those are good drugs or whatever it is you're on.

Last edited:
I hate the narrator's voice.

Also doesn't really look like a triple A game to me, the largest "horde" from the final seconds of the trailer is only about 20 zombies, graphics also look really mediocre.
You never really fight more than 10 enemies at a time in BOTW.

Therefore, BOTW is not a AAA game using your logic.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
You never really fight more than 10 enemies at a time in BOTW.

Therefore, BOTW is not a AAA game using your logic.
I was talking about the genre. I definitely expect zombie hordes in a Walking Dead game considering they were massive in the source material. It's hard to move on to this game from something like Days Gone where you had proper zombie hordes.

I was talking about the genre. I definitely expect zombie hordes in a Walking Dead game considering they were massive in the source material. It's hard to move on to this game from something like Days Gone where you had proper zombie hordes.
Doesn't matter. Zombie horde size is not what determines if a game with zombies in it is AAA.

The reason you don't see hundreds of zombies is because of how taxing it is in VR, especially if everything has a physically-based approach.

Last edited:

Alexios

Doesn't matter. Zombie horde size is not what determines if a game with zombies in it is AAA.

The reason you don't see hundreds of zombies is because of how taxing it is in VR, especially if everything has a physically-based approach.
Or because they didn't wanna make a L4D-like and instead something more up close and personal for each kill or threat (again, people need to watch Node's play session even if it was essentially sponsored content and they're uber shills, this new footage just sucks ass in comparison to a live play). Game isn't AAA, just saying.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member

Again, I've never said that zombie hordes = AAA zombie game. I meant that it doesn't look like a triple A game in general. It's not just about the hordes, it's about the overall feel. Graphics, animations, environments... everything about this screams budget product.

Romulus

Rated as a "buy."

UploadVR and Road to VR gave it 4/5 I believe. SixAxis 9/10. I saw a 7.5 too but that's all I've seen.

Top Bottom