• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Warhawk Boosterpack "Operation Fallen Star" in August!

Trevelyan

Banned
MoonsaultSlayer said:
Umm.. when did that happen? I remember ALL meant it changed from a dropship game to an APC game but never with both in the same round. If you can confirm that... I'd believe you but I'm doubting that happened...
Hmm, I may be wrong, but I could've sworn I played a few games with APCs and dropships. Guess I'll jump back online and see if I'm going crazy or not. :lol

Trevelyan said:
Hmm, I may be wrong, but I could've sworn I played a few games with APCs and dropships. Guess I'll jump back online and see if I'm going crazy or not. :lol

Nope, you must be thinking of servers that support both vehicles. In a single match, it's either the APC or dropship, it's never both.

Foil

I love the continued support as somebody who plays this game a couple times a week. However, they need to atleast make Omega Dawn free and roll it into all the main servers once this booster comes out. The community splintering is hurting this product. It'll be even worse once a bunch of other online games come out and start taking more people away from Warhawk. There should be only one pay booster at a time, and when something new comes out the old ones should become free (and required) for all players and official servers.

Oh, and I still think pilots should be able to exit the Warhawks anytime they want and use a parachute. Atleast that way the passenger in my Warhawk can jump out when he realises he made a horrible mistake hitching a ride with me.

____

Foil said:
At least that way the passenger in my Warhawk can jump out when he realises he made a horrible mistake hitching a ride with me.

hilarity :lol

EVERY time it happens, I bust out laughing

GodofWine said:
Oh god, If I can snipe from a jet pack...oh my.

Oh wait..If I can jet pack and land on top of a flying dropship and attach landmines and fly away right before they go boom....oooohhhhh

No more G.I. Joe movie for you! :lol

I'm wondering if you'll be able to use weapons while using the jetpack?

Either way looks interesting. And I hope you can snipe the fuel tank for big explosions. :D

Loudninja

Warhawk v1.5 Update “Free Never Gets old!”

lots of new things in this update:

Custom In-Game Music
XMB Trophies
Training Tutorials
Retract Clan Invites
New Paint Schemes & Insignias
GGL Ceremonial Blades
“Rookie” Server Color-Coding

Parachutes or jet pack?!?
Last hint…and this is an easy one:

With one of these equipped, a soldier can escape quickly…even bail out if needed!

also about the booster:
Some of you may have read some rumors about our next Booster Pack…I can neither confirm nor deny anything…at least for right now :) Keep your eyes peeled for an update here on the blog and the media coverage at Leipzig which is right around the corner!!!

Click the link for more info about these new things.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/08/11/warhawk-v15-update-“free-never-gets-old”/#more-1120

tribal24

Banned
i seriously need to start playing this, i think the olny thing holding me back is buying the 2nd map pack. well i guess ill buy the other mappack when the newer expansion comes

Is it easy to get into this game? Is it an active community that doesn't shun n00bs? I keep hearing how awesome this game is online, but I am afraid to jump into it so long after release. I would like to try it out though. Is there a demo?

Loudninja

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Is it easy to get into this game? Is it an active community that doesn't shun n00bs? I keep hearing how awesome this game is online, but I am afraid to jump into it so long after release. I would like to try it out though. Is there a demo?

You be find, just use the new Training Tutorials, when they come out.

Kazenone

tribal24 said:
i seriously need to start playing this, i think the olny thing holding me back is buying the 2nd map pack. well i guess ill buy the other mappack when the newer expansion comes

Which one do you have? Broken Mirror was a lot better than Omega Dawn in my opinion so get it if you don't have it.

And I really hope that hint is something related to the passenger seat in the Warhawk/Nemesis.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So parachutes/jetpacks confirmed for the next paid pack. Maybe just a quick booster backpack to prevent controlled flight (mega jump sort of), and to slow you down on descent from a Warhawk.

maxax

SuperEnemyCrab said:
I'm in the same boat. I only like a few online shooters, TF2 (on PC) being one of them. I just don't know what to expect of Warhawk or if I would like it. Any single player experience the game can be compared to?

Another question: Is the game region locked? If yes, does it depend on PS3/PSN region or the version of the game? Trophies and Jetpacks make this game sound really interesting. :)

Kazenone said:
Which one do you have? Broken Mirror was a lot better than Omega Dawn in my opinion so get it if you don't have it.

And I really hope that hint is something related to the passenger seat in the Warhawk/Nemesis.

He confirms that the accurate trophy list was indeed leaked. That means jetpacks are coming. He also dropped the bomb that whatever the new "thing" is for Operation: Fallen Star, it can be used to bail out of a Warhawk in. Seems to me like you'll be able to eject yourself out of a Warhawk and use the jetpack to not fall to your death.

For those of you considering it; the game has a steep learning curve, but is ultimately very rewarding once you can get the hang of the different vehicles and playstyles. As Dylan's said, they're adding tutorials in v1.5 to help new players with those growing pains. I've tried forever to compare Warhawk to something, and all I can come up with is Battlefield + Any air combat game + awesome. This is a seriously solid title and is extremely fun to play. Whenever my friends are over, most of our playtime is devoted to splitscreen online Warhawk action, another feature that far too many PS3 games lack.

As far as I know it's not region locked, and everyone in the world plays together.

maxax

Pai Pai Master said:
He confirms that the accurate trophy list was indeed leaked. That means jetpacks are coming. He also dropped the bomb that whatever the new "thing" is for Operation: Fallen Star, it can be used to bail out of a Warhawk in. Seems to me like you'll be able to eject yourself out of a Warhawk and use the jetpack to not fall to your death.

For those of you considering it; the game has a steep learning curve, but is ultimately very rewarding once you can get the hang of the different vehicles and playstyles. As Dylan's said, they're adding tutorials in v1.5 to help new players with those growing pains. I've tried forever to compare Warhawk to something, and all I can come up with is Battlefield + Any air combat game + awesome. This is a seriously solid title and is extremely fun to play. Whenever my friends are over, most of our playtime is devoted to splitscreen online Warhawk action, another feature that far too many PS3 games lack.

As far as I know it's not region locked, and everyone in the world plays together.
That almost seals the deal, thanks for all the information. :) If I buy the game on my US account of my PS3, will I be able to play it on my main (EU) account? I heard conlicting information about that.

maxax said:
That almost seals the deal, thanks for all the information. :) If I buy the game on my US account of my PS3, will I be able to play it on my main (EU) account? I heard conlicting information about that.

Can't answer that one personally. Maybe someone around here has done that.

maxax

Pai Pai Master said:
Can't answer that one personally. Maybe someone around here has done that.
I just did reasearch myself, and it seems it's not possible. So I guess I'll get the disc version then. :)

maxax said:

I was certain the answer to this was no, I had accidentally tried to start up Warhawk on my US account a couple of times and got an error message. However, I just tried and goddamn, it works. Is it possible... I mean, is it even conceivable that in one of the recent patches they've made Warhawk... shareable?

maxax

freethought said:
I was certain the answer to this was no, I had accidentally tried to start up Warhawk on my US account a couple of times and got an error message. However, I just tried and goddamn, it works. Is it possible... I mean, is it even conceivable that in one of the recent patches they've made Warhawk... shareable?
Was it a long time since you last played it? I read that you CAN use it on another account, but you can only "change" the account every 7 days or something similar.

Some confirmation would be nice, because now I am confused.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
maxax said:
I just did reasearch myself, and it seems it's not possible. So I guess I'll get the disc version then. :)
The info you read is old. Hardly anybody noticed, but they changed the DRM around the time FW 2.4 was released. Originally the PSN version was locked to one PSN account for 24 hours after running it. The new DRM gets rid of that and allows any PSN account on your system to run it as long as you have the owner's PSN account log in info saved to the system.

You can play the game on your EU account if you buy it from the US store as long as your US account has its login info saved to the system.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Pai Pai Master said:
So cool. I have a serious mancrush for Jobe.

I wonder if they're giving us the ability to actually bail out and freefall from a Warhawk with this update or if the jetpacks are kind of "always on" once you bail out. I hope freefalling is an option.

maxax

Killthee said:
The info you read is old. Hardly anybody noticed, but they changed the DRM around the time FW 2.4 was released. Originally the PSN version was locked to one PSN account for 24 hours after running it. The new DRM gets rid of that and allows any PSN account on your system to run it as long as you have the owner's PSN account log in info saved to the system.

You can play the game on your EU account if you buy it from the US store as long as your US account has its login info saved to the system.
Great. :) Now one last confirmation, since you seem to be in the know :lol The game is definitely not region locked? If I buy the US version, I can play against any one, especially mainland europe? Does the server browser have options to filter for region or ping?
Sorry for all the questions but I'd hate for this purchase to be a waste.

Killthee

maxax said:
Great. :) Now one last confirmation, since you seem to be in the know :lol The game is definitely not region locked? If I buy the US version, I can play against any one, especially mainland europe? Does the server browser have options to filter for region or ping?
Not region locked. Don't quite remember the filter options but I'm sure there was a ping option and region one (might have been game region or ww). Give me a sec, I'll check the filter options.

maxax said:

It's not region locked and you can filter by ping. Go go go!

edit: beaten

Killthee

The Ping filter options is Ping <= 50, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, or All

The Region filter is "My Region" I assume that's the game region or All, i.e. WW

There's also a Language filter that's either All or My Language

I hope jetpackers cant grab the flag,that could break the game. also, you can get the two booster packs bundled pretty cheap...it would be awesome if they added the third pack for the same price

Zen

Banned
Warhawk probably has a steeper learnign curve than MGO, that being said, I enjoyed my time with it in the beta. How active is the community? Are they splintered because of all the booster packs? Any plans to make the older packs free?

Thanks for the info all, but I think I am going to pass on this one. I just don't have the time it sounds like this game needs to get over the learning curve. Is a warhawk 2 assumed to be coming or planned?

Jim

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Thanks for the info all, but I think I am going to pass on this one. I just don't have the time it sounds like this game needs to get over the learning curve. Is a warhawk 2 assumed to be coming or planned?

Training missions + rookie rooms should be enough for anyone to get into it. It's not an intimidating game to just jump in to, AT ALL. That's what I love about it.

Jim said:
Training missions + rookie rooms should be enough for anyone to get into it. It's not an intimidating game to just jump in to, AT ALL. That's what I love about it.
I beg to differ :p I mean on the ground it's ok but I can't shoot down any Warhawks in dogfights. :p

Kittonwy

Banned
Warhawk is THE example on how to do an online experience in terms of continual developer support. Jobe and his team should be commended, so awesome.
gladtomeetya.gif

Jim said:

Oh they have specific servers/games setup for rookies? Hmmm thats interesting. I really do want to get into it, a buddy of mine keeps saying its the best online game he's ever played.

I have a few other questions if someone wouldn't mind answering. What is the max player count? Can you join mid-game? Do you "level up" at all? How long is a typical match?

maxax

Killthee said:
The Ping filter options is Ping <= 50, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, or All

The Region filter is "My Region" I assume that's the game region or All, i.e. WW

There's also a Language filter that's either All or My Language
Sounds good. :) I guess I'll wait for the patch and then buy it off PSN.

NekoFever

They definitely need to do something with the old booster packs to get people playing them. I almost regret buying them because there are so few servers that run them, and I don't think anyone would complain at this point if they just made the first one free. Still, I doubt it'll happen when Sony is no doubt expecting a big influx of people buying them for trophy-whoring purposes once 1.5 hits.

Killthee

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Oh they have specific servers/games setup for rookies? Hmmm thats interesting. I really do want to get into it, a buddy of mine keeps saying its the best online game he's ever played.

I have a few other questions if someone wouldn't mind answering. What is the max player count? Can you join mid-game? Do you "level up" at all? How long is a typical match?
You can limit the people who join a server by rank.

Max player count is 32. You can join mid game and you can do split screen mid game if the server allows it. You "level up" via ranks. A rank requires you to have a certain number of points and a certain type of badge. You unlock new gear and Warhawk paint schemes when you rank up. There's no typical match in Warhawk.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
ANOTHER ONE :lol ?

Incognito are GODS! Hopefully this will have trophies too!

Killthee

Seiken said:
ANOTHER ONE :lol ?

Incognito are GODS! Hopefully this will have trophies too!
The Trophy patch is already confirmed to have 4 trophies tied to this booster pack (The booster pack trophies aren't required for the Platinum Trophy).

Top Bottom