• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Wii exclusive: Indianapolis 500 Legends ( Racer )

Bildi

sphinx said:
to all people with negative comments: how can we be so sure this game is going to suck or look badly??
It's a safe position to assume the game will suck. If by some miracle it is awesome (and it will indeed be a miracle) then that is a pleasant surprise.

When it comes to games, pessimism avoids disappointment.

sphinx said:
you know, I miss the days when I was an uninformed gamer, I'd go to the video game store and buy a game on impulse based on genre and box art alone. I'd go home, play it, get an "o.k" experience and be satisifed.
The first and last time I bought a game based on boxart was when I bought Airwolf with my NES. I learnt my lesson within the first five minutes of turning on my first ever console.

I cannot see how buying based on boxart could possibly yield an "OK" experience on average.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
sphinx said:
to all people with negative comments: how can we be so sure this game is going to suck or look badly??

you know, I miss the days when I was an uninformed gamer, I'd go to the video game store and buy a game on impulse based on genre and box art alone. I'd go home, play it, get an "o.k" experience and be satisifed.

these days what with forums, IGNs, and gamespot's reviews, it's so hard to give any unproven game a chance... I really wish it wasn't like that.

even if we had screens from the game, pics not always reflect the actual state of a game but seeing them in a forum would make me say " looks like crap " and lose all interest.......<_>
Because we'd rather spend our money on something better?

Maybe they'll throw in some more modern cars as unlockables, for the speed kick:
Wikipedia-listed pole qualifying speeds said:
1961: 147.5 MPH
1971: 178.7 MPH
2007: 225.8 MPH
and they've been averaging over 210 in qual since the 80s. When did Indy cars start tacking on and coming to grips with wings, late-late-60s, early 70s like F1 cars?

Hopefully this isn't just licensed shovelware, because it could be pretty cool if the devs took the subject matter seriously.

BuG

Kbsmoker said:
oh.

i saw Grand Prix Challenge on there and i loved that f1 game. But then i saw they just did a little art for this game. Never heard of the other games they did....
Never heard of Torus but Melbourne House rocked. Le Mans 24 Hours was awesomeo.

I can't wait to play this with my wheel:

wii_wheel.jpg

Looks a bit better than Gran Prix Legends, a PC game that covers that same timeframe and material with near-flawless accuracy in its simulation (god bless you Papyrus).

Oh, that game came out in 1998. :lol

StevieP

Banned
The Innocent X said:
Well, at least they aren`t bullshots.

I don't remember the Wii being able to render 1024x768 (strangely, a PC resolution). I'd take those shots with a grain of salt.

StevieP

Banned
CrushDance said:
:lol

My goodness. Come on devs! Try!

To be fair, they could be using a PC-based engine to make the game (i.e. start it on PC, then port it to Wii) or something along those lines. But I'm still in doubt as to whether those are screens from this game (even if it does look like an upscaled late PS2 title). Certainly, by their resolution, they aren't from a Wii.

ram

wow - that looks even worse than the old brain in a jar / codemasters indy game on ps2, xbox, pc...

like many said before - torus games = shovelware.

camineet

Banned
a Wii Indianapolis 500 racer should look bright and colorful, like SEGA's Indy 500 from 1995.

see my post on the first page.

:(

Burai

shitonmychest57
Looks alright to me.

Remember that they'll need to have 33 cars on track at the same time and keep the framerate constant, so it was never going to look that awesome. Oval racers never do due to that reason.

The most important thing is how the cars handle and how they implement running in traffic. The braindead AI in Codemasters' Indy 500 games was infuriating as were the appalling spotters. *SMASH* ... ... ... ... "Car low". Yeah, thanks for that.

I'm keeping an open mind over this one.

BatiGOOOOOOL said:
Hahaha, the cars look like toys. Really, really shitty toys.

:lol

Burai said:
Looks alright to me.

Remember that they'll need to have 33 cars on track at the same time and keep the framerate constant, so it was never going to look that awesome. Oval racers never do due to that reason.

The most important thing is how the cars handle and how they implement running in traffic.

Stop.

Hey Capcom how a about Auto Modellista sequel? Seeing as you've made all that money and it would be an easy port from GameCube.

We promise to buy it this time.

I don't want this game.

1-D_FTW

camineet said:
a Wii Indianapolis 500 racer should look bright and colorful, like SEGA's Indy 500 from 1995.

see my post on the first page.

:(

You wouldn't think it would be that hard, would you?

*looks at the pics recently posted* *Shakes head*

Haunted

Bildi said:
I beg to differ:

I demand you retract your statement Sir Rice!
:lol It was good, really!

Well, this one... not so much - looks like a cookie-cutter shovelware racer. meh.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Fragamemnon said:
Looks a bit better than Gran Prix Legends, a PC game that covers that same timeframe and material with near-flawless accuracy in its simulation (god bless you Papyrus).

Oh, that game came out in 1998. :lol

Well done! :lol I loved all those old Papyrus racers actually.

Burai said:
Looks alright to me.

F-Zero GX manages it pretty well.

hyonoid

indianapolis-500-legends-20070524014803357.jpg

indianapolis-500-legends-20070524014759560.jpg

indianapolis-500-legends-20070524014940150.jpg

indianapolis-500-legends-20070524014939400.jpg

indianapolis-500-legends-20070524014938650.jpg

indianapolis-500-legends-20070524014937681.jpg

indianapolis-500-legends-20070524014807638.jpg

indianapolis-500-legends-20070524014806701.jpg

indianapolis-500-legends-20070524014805623.jpg

indianapolis-500-legends-20070524014804763.jpg

indianapolis-500-legends-20070524014803966.jpg

alborghetti21zj.gif
cry1.gif

http://wii.ign.com/articles/791/791635p1.html

Oh Uh... This is important:

On the visual front, the Indianapolis 500 Legends is showing off graphical presentation about on par with other titles on Wii thus far. The line of sight is already something that the developer has put some serious time into, as the game is only half complete and already has very little pop-in that we could notice. No effects are currently in the game though, so we're essentially driving dry aside from track, skybox, cars, and landscape. What's there has a solid core look, and with some of the improvements that are to be implemented later (such as white-lined tires to tell you when to pit based on loss of rubber) there's a definite attention to detail that race fans will love.

From the time we had with the game this week it's apparent that Indy 500 Legends is out to truly deliver a historic and entertaining racing experience. With the game being as early as it is we obviously can't pass any final judgment yet, but it's one you'll definitely want to keep following. Driving is already as solid (if not better) than other Wii titles, and it's a matter of getting the new Torus physics engine fine-tuned to deliver real and engaging crashes and in-game driving physics - something that is still in its early stages. Our playthrough was very positive thus far, though we definitely want to see more attention given to general presentation, including 480p and 16:9 support, as well as the on-course smoke and effects Destineer has been talking about. The control is there, and that's a huge first step for a product that still has plenty of time. Now it's about adding in the challenges, shaping up the A.I., and making the game look as good as it feels.

i see, sounds like he had fun with the game. this game is just a victim of being shown too early and fanboys pouncing on it.

dyack vindicated?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
JoshuaJSlone said:
F-Zero GX manages it pretty well.
F-Zero GX also has incredibly simple vehicle models (more so than this) and fairly sparse backdrops. Its art direction allows it to rise above the pack, however.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
dark10x said:
F-Zero GX also has incredibly simple vehicle models (more so than this) and fairly sparse backdrops. Its art direction allows it to rise above the pack, however.

why must you remind me that I probably won't get a wii version of that excellent game?

After excite truck I have a feeling that the control for f-zero would be kick ass on the wii.

Top Bottom