• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Wii U Firmware (12/04/2012)

impact

Banned
Ugh, updated last night it took an hour to download and 15 minuites to install, why is this so fucking slow? Everything in the OS is still slow as hell. 20 seconds to load into the settings menu, and about 20 seconds to bounce back out to the home screen, this is just pathetic.

Had my system hardlock 3 times in ~2 hours playing NSMBU. Prior to this, I hadn't had a single lockup. SMH!
You think an hour was long? Hahahaha

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Ugh, updated last night it took an hour to download and 15 minuites to install, why is this so fucking slow? Everything in the OS is still slow as hell. 20 seconds to load into the settings menu, and about 20 seconds to bounce back out to the home screen, this is just pathetic.

Had my system hardlock 3 times in ~2 hours playing NSMBU. Prior to this, I hadn't had a single lockup. SMH!

4 hours. It took me 4 hours to download.

With all seriousness and without wanting to troll, it's easier to have a stable network for a one year old console who doesn't sell compared to a one month old console during its launch hype.

haha. in all seriousness, it's a good point but I do think that nintendo should hve foreseen this and gone with a more reliable or suitable company to host their online servers / infrastructure.

I don't mind updates, I understand their purpose, what really irks me is the download speed and how bloody slow it is.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
Man, I don't know if I'm just downloading at the right time or what but the initial system update download took about an hour and this one took about half an hour.

Berg

took 30 mins to download / 5 to install
suburbs of columbus ohio/ ATT Uverse/ 6mbps
must have gotten one of the good wiiU's.

Ridley327

My experience with the system post-update is that loading apps and games is considerably faster, but exiting them takes around the same amount of time as it did before. I still have no idea why it takes more than a second to access system settings, but hey, they improved it on my end.

Mardak

I still have no idea why it takes more than a second to access system settings, but hey, they improved it on my end.
How long does it take for you? I was measuring this time to load settings and the time to return to the Wii U menu both before and after the update. I believe they were consistently 17 seconds and 19 seconds to go in and out both before and after the update, so no change.

The_Lump

Banned
Brand new WiiU, fresh out of the box today. Been downloading for 45 mins now. Seems at about 85% now.

In Channel Islands, 16MB broadband (although it's only showing as 10 recently...). I'm basically right on top of an exchange too.

Stealth Edit! Just changed to "Error: Cannot connect to server" Eeek! I pressed ok and clicked system update and its continuing from 85%. Phew! Actually soiled myself slightly right there....

Edit 2: Update! Finished download in 55mins, now updating. 27% after about a minute

gururoji

Really amazed (and a little worried) at the discrepancy of experiences.

Probably took me about an hour to d/l, maybe 15-20 minutes to install. Had no hard locks before, no hard locks since. Posting to Miiverse from within NSMBU is far faster for me now. I feel fortunate...got my fingers crossed.

Marbles

Took me about 1 1/2 hours to download and install the update. Not too bad considering I only have a crappy 1.1Mb connection.

I did notice a speed increase when switching between options in the UI.

thomaser

Opening up the main menu (Wara Wara) is much, much faster for me after the update. Opening Miiverse is also faster, and exiting from one of the Home Menu programs and back to a game are almost instant now.

Strange how everyone have different experiences with these updates. I have a PAL console. Seems to me that players from Europe have generally had fewer problems than the US players.

The only thing that doesn't always work for me is starting up the console with the power button on the gamepad. Sometimes the pad won't find the console, so I have to power up with the power button on the console itself.

The_Lump

Banned
Update took 10 mins to install (fresh WiiU, received today)

No problems so far, absolutely loving it! In all honesty, apps (Lovefilm, Netflix, shop) aren't loading any slower than my ps3...

Settings menu is pretty slow though. About 15 seconds before update, more like 12 secs now so a marginal improvement but still too slow.

NL update has taken 5 mins, although annoyingly said 11 seconds remaining the entire time....

Now finishing setting up and mooching about on the GamePad whilst we watch Lovefilm (via PS3) on the Tv! Yaytimes!

I am sure the 3DS downloads even when the system is asleep and closed, is that right? I opened mine today and it said its updated and needed a restart. Wish Wii U would do that, like PS+. Maybe it will come..

Portugeezer

haha. in all seriousness, it's a good point but I do think that nintendo should hve foreseen this and gone with a more reliable or suitable company to host their online servers / infrastructure.

I don't mind updates, I understand their purpose, what really irks me is the download speed and how bloody slow it is.

We always say this, yet 90% of the time the big companies fuck up at the beginning. New big online games have server problems early on and we say they should have expected this.

Did they or didn't they? I don't know if there is an excuse anymore.

I am sure the 3DS downloads even when the system is asleep and closed, is that right? I opened mine today and it said its updated and needed a restart. Wish Wii U would do that, like PS+. Maybe it will come..

I believe so. But I think it has to be on the charger.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
We always say this, yet 90% of the time the big companies fuck up at the beginning. New big online games have server problems early on and we say they should have expected this.

Did they or didn't they? I don't know if there is an excuse anymore.

It's so expected that online launches of major services will go down and go wrong, that people were stunned and amazed en mass when Guild Wars 2 launched and pretty much worked.

So... as far as I can tell, everybody fucks up online service/gaming launches to some degree. Don't forget what happened with Call of Duty Elite when it launched. Or most other such projects you could list.

radcliff

Took about 15 - 20 minutes total to download and install. I was shocked at how fast it went based on some horror stories here. I do not notice much difference in loading applications, though. I'm not saying loading times haven't been improved, but just not to the point that I really took notice.

Great I'm now being throttled by my shitty ISP most likely due to the god knows how many gigs of downloads to my Wii u over the last few days, not really Nintendo's fault I just need a better ISP

Finally got the 2nd patch. Some notes:

- Loading Miiverse is MUCH faster, I would say almost 50% speed increase
- Quitting Miiverse and going back to OS is instant.

But there's more...

My Wii U now connects to my router without having to go through the manual setup bollocks, hurrah. Clearly a bug that they have fixed in the latest update.

Loading in and out of other applications is still slow though.

Small, frustrating steps from Nintendo, but steps none the less.

The_Lump

Banned
Ok. This question had been asked a few times, so here's the answer:

New WiiUs (ie those bought since 2nd update) only require one update. (duh!) So now you know.

Game updates for me have taken no more than 5 mins. NSMBU took 2mins, ZombiU took 2mins, NL took 5.

All are f**king awesome games too :)

I restarted my connection before I did the update and it still took something like six or so hours. Still waiting for an update to not take that long. I'm in Denver by the way. I don't understand it because my PS3 can download an update in like 5-10 minutes...it downloads games as big as the Wii U update in under twenty minutes at most...=(

For some reason, the update never starts automatically for me when I turned on my Wii U after hearing it was up. I have to manually start it and play stare at the screen all day game.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Took me about 25 minutes to download last night. Optimum Cable in Suburbia, NJ. Oh, and this was wired, which is supposed to be kind of gimped. The first update definitely took me longer.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Quite cool that is auto started when I turned the system on today. I'm guessing it took about 30mins to do, I didn't really time it and I was playing around in Miiverse and Nintendoland throughout most it.

Queues on YT (via the browser) seem to be working better now though they still don't autoplay.

impact

Banned
I restarted my connection before I did the update and it still took something like six or so hours. Still waiting for an update to not take that long. I'm in Denver by the way. I don't understand it because my PS3 can download an update in like 5-10 minutes...it downloads games as big as the Wii U update in under twenty minutes at most...=(

For some reason, the update never starts automatically for me when I turned on my Wii U after hearing it was up. I have to manually start it and play stare at the screen all day game.

Took me an hour and a half to download NFS MW (4+GB iirc) on PSN. It took me double that to download NSMBU off NiN (I'm going to take a guess and say it's 1-2GB)

I really have no idea what people are doing to their system to not download so damn slow. This thing is slower than my phone.

netBuff

Wouldn't OVERSCAN be a TV problem? I have tried the WIIu on two tvs, and nothing is cut off.

It's certainly a TV problem (because many TVs are terrible and don't allow people to disable overscan), but something Nintendo should have accounted for: They are aware of the problem, as the various overscan settings in different apps show (and they even default to different standard settings - overscan safe for the internet browser, no overscan for the eShop).

CLEEK

I'm right in thinking that neither the PS3 or 360 have OS level overscan options though?

I know of loads of PS3 games that have image scaling options within them.

Over-scan isn't a Wii U issue, as if you have a shitty TV that does it, it will effect every single thing hooked up to it. Consoles, DVD players, BD players etc.

AzaK

It's not. I'm freezing on Black Ops.

I was meaning specifically for him.

It's certainly a TV problem (because many TVs are terrible and don't allow people to disable overscan), but something Nintendo should have accounted for: They are aware of the problem, as the various overscan settings in different apps show (and they even default to different standard settings - overscan safe for the internet browser, no overscan for the eShop).
Yeah it shows how disjoint teams likely made the software. The fact MiiVerse allows overscan adjustment but other places don't is just bizarre.

netBuff

I'm right in thinking that neither the PS3 or 360 have OS level overscan options though?

I know of loads of PS3 games that have image scaling options within them.

Over-scan isn't a Wii U issue, as if you have a shitty TV that does it, it will effect every single thing hooked up to it. Consoles, DVD players, BD players etc.

That's not an excuse.

Overscan wasn't something that was user adjustable in most TVs in 2005/2006 - a few models hid the setting in service menus that were only meant to be accessible to service technicians. That's why the 360/PS3 interfaces are all designed to be "overscan safe", something the Wii U OS isn't.

My TV doesn't cut of the edges of the picture (= overscan), but that doesn't excuse the fact that Nintendo didn't account for overscan in all apps. Ideally, there would be a single system settings in regards to overscan that allows for a simple set up.

This is just another example of the Wii U's OS being extremely incoherent, with different design philosophies at work and redundant settings with opposite defaults at multiple places.

Yeah it shows how disjoint teams likely made the software. The fact MiiVerse allows overscan adjustment but other places don't is just bizarre.

This.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Overscan wasn't something that was user adjustable in most TVs in 2005/2006 - a few models hid the setting in service menus that were only meant to be accessible to service technicians.

Would it be worth looking at this on my TV or just leaving it for now. Haven't really had too much of a problem with the cutoff.

netBuff

Would it be worth looking at this on my TV or just leaving it for now. Haven't really had too much of a problem with the cutoff.

Having overscan on is reducing your console's image quality by doing additional image interpolation - basically, the game is upscaled from its rendering resolution to 1080p by the Wii U, and then again to accommodate for the overscan by your TV.

I think it's always worthwhile pursuing to disable overscan - a sharper picture and slightly wider field of view are certainly benefiting console games.

Medalion

Banned
I've encountered my first unusual occurence since the firmware upgrade

After playing Sonic All Stars Racing, exited the software, and tried to turn off the system...

My system is frozen as though it is "on", the gamepad shows the menu but my TV is receiving no tv signal and my system refuses to turn off

Nintendo...what are you guys doing?!?!

Thoraxes

took 30 mins to download / 5 to install
suburbs of columbus ohio/ ATT Uverse/ 6mbps
must have gotten one of the good wiiU's.

Me too. I am in the suburbs of Chicago.

it finally downloaded. I decided to leave it on overnight and hope for the best and when I woke up the console was off. turned it on and the update had downloaded and installed, no idea how long it took, but before I went to sleep, the timer read 3hrs, 54mins.

terrible service from nintendo. to contrast, I received my ps vita today, turned it on and found my network within minutes and downloaded its various updates within 15 minutes. a quick check through the menu showed it was using my full connection, the problem with nintendo updated definitely lies in their servers / infrastructure.

I had a 3DS update last night and it downloaded and installed in like, ~20 seconds.

I had a 3DS update last night and it downloaded and installed in like, ~20 seconds.

I have a 3ds also, it's one of the reasons I decided to buy a wii u. their online on the 3ds is great, very responsive, fast and no other issues. then again, I did buy the 3ds earlier this year, I've read that the early days of the 3ds were a lot like what we're experiencing with the wii u. I hope that's true, but I also hope they would have learnt from that experience and made sure the same didn't happen on the wii u.

MS also had to learn the hard way that investment in server infrastructure is money well spent. Halo 3 launch was a desaster in that regard. I still shudder at the thought that I actually played that abomination they gave out as a free download for compensation. What a terrible terrible game that one was. First no XBL over christmas, then they punish you with that turd...

Okay, this update has had a couple days to sit and I've got some more results...

Bitch still be crashin'!

No improvements at all to the amount or frequency games like Assassin's Creed 3 crashes, and it seems to be just as random as ever. This coupled with the fact that these "speed improvements" some people are claiming are inconsistent at best, and complete placebos at worst... I can only assume (and hope) this patch was really just a front to pre-install TVii... at least I sure hope in a week or two I'm not downloading another 500-900MB patch again.

tkscz

How come I don't seem to be experiencing this slow eshop and Miiverse everyone else is? Or is this a relative thing?

How come I don't seem to be experiencing this slow eshop and Miiverse everyone else is? Or is this a relative thing?

Easy enough to find out. Grab a stop watch and time from when you press the miiverse button till when it's fully loaded (pictures and all) if it's taking between 12-20 seconds, you're experiencing the same "horrible" load times and it just doesn't effect you.

No more IPs from your DHCP server? Or have you used the same IP in manual settings?

I just tried auto connect to my router. Strangely, it connects to my router upstairs fine, but the one downstairs it does not (through powerline). Everything else connecting fine this morning. Very odd. I have planty of IP addresses free, there are literally hundreds, right?

Might try a full manual input connection to it, but it's very weird - has to be total coincidence, right? :)

tkscz

Easy enough to find out. Grab a stop watch and time from when you press the miiverse button till when it's fully loaded (pictures and all) if it's taking between 12-20 seconds, you're experiencing the same "horrible" load times and it just doesn't effect you.

1148_1253230725640.jpg

I'm sitting here, thinking you guys are waiting a few minutes, but seconds? Not even half a minute. No wonder I never notice it go slow. That isn't slow. You want slow? Deal with my old android phone. Damn thing took 2 and a half minutes to load up one PDF file, that's slow. This, in my eye, is quite fast.

But to answer your question, it took about 15 - 16 seconds to fully load.

Top Bottom