• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xbox research survey asks players if they have fate in 343 industries and still playing Halo Infinite

Deerock71

Faith GIF by George Michael

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This is great news, Microsoft are building a case for something drastic and what needs to happen for the good of the franchise.

This will (hopefully) give Microsoft the data to present to 343i that they have driven the franchise into the ground in public opinion and that their feelings aren't just internal. The fan base feels the same.

GG Microsoft I'm filling it out now.

Look, I'm critical of 343. They deserve alot of the criticism that is going their way. The budget for Halo Infinite was close to 1 billion I heard. They were given free range. They had a very large workforce of close to 500 people. On top of that they used three support studios in Certain Affinity, Sperasoft and Skybox Labs.
That is a massive amount of resources.
They had six years to develop the game.
Those six years with over 750 employees and nearly a billions dollars delivered one campaign game and a half assed multiplayer game.
That's truly unacceptable.

On the pro side, Halo Infinate campaign was a very good game. It's the best Halo since Bungie stopped making it. They delivered on that front.

On the negative side the multiplayer was a disaster.
The amount of time that they lost by changing engines half way through was crazy.
The engine they did create was sub standard and they would have been better off to use another engine like Unreal.

However, Microsoft has recognised all of this. First 343 embarrassed them with the initial showing of the game and the whole Craig meme.
They then missed the console launch and left MS with no first party game to accompany the console. They even had all the promotional stuff tailored around it.
On top of that MS know just how much money they would had lost on that game, and just how the reputation of Halo has diminished.

MS have gone through the studio with a broom, cleaned out alot of the dead wood and I have no doubt that things will improve from here on out.

The good thing now is that Halo, while it's important for Xbox, it no longer needs to hold the console on its shoulders anymore.
MS now has equal IP like Doom, Gears, Wolfenstien, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Starfield and hopefully Call of Duty. This means that 343 can now take their time and reboot the Series.

kiphalfton

This is great news, Microsoft are building a case for something drastic and what needs to happen for the good of the franchise.

This will (hopefully) give Microsoft the data to present to 343i that they have driven the franchise into the ground in public opinion and that their feelings aren't just internal. The fan base feels the same.

Hopefully being the key word.

Somehow, some way though, nothing will come of it.

I mean ffs you're putting faith in the general public after all

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
what if the players say no faith?

343 industry is going to be support studio!!!???

Graciaus

343 is the worst developer who continues to get work. Have never put out a good game and ruined a once great franchise. Do you really need a survey to learn this? You could argue they would never be as good as Bungie but they didn't even try to mimic they went the complete opposite direction.

bitbydeath

343 is the worst developer who continues to get work. Have never put out a good game and ruined a once great franchise. Do you really need a survey to learn this? You could argue they would never be as good as Bungie but they didn't even try to mimic they went the complete opposite direction.
The survey means MS can save face by putting the decision they may have/not already made back on the fans.

ZehDon

Gold Member

They fired the CEO, they re-located the Head of Transmedia, they gutted the leadership team, they gutted the development team leads, they dropped more than a few from the development teams, and they cancelled all talks of anything other than multiplayer for Halo moving forward.

Microsoft already did something drastic, because 343i themselves built an airtight case that they shouldn't be in charge of anything. Now they go radio silent and hope that the Battle Royale mode saves Infinite's multiplayer.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
They sometimes have weird surveys like buy back games for 10%, so i would take it with a grain of salt.

But Halo could use the God of War treatment. Of course i don't mean that literally. Some kind of Halo RPG by Obsidian or Bethesda could be nice.

I'm going to take it a step further : Halo and its formula, as it stands right now it just isn't viable anymore, people have been moving on to other "mega" FPS franchises like COD etc for years now, it needs to be shaped/rebuilt into something else completely, just like you said, maybe an RPG or a 3rd person action/action-adventure game, maybe it sounds like sacrilege to turn a once mega FPS franchise into something else completely but...it hasn't being going well for them (MS) since Halo 4, Infinite has been their 3rd strike and they just can't continue like this...

Thinking about it, a 3rd person Halo wouldn't be so strange since it always featured a TPS camera (driving/flying/holding heavy weapons) and it always worked well, add an actual good story where MC doesn't talk to his hand every other cutscene (Infinite), an improved melee system, some minor platforming and exploration, diverse looking biomes/levels (Halo 4 wasn't bad regarding this, Infinite on the other hand sucked) and maybe, just maybe, things will work out better next time.

Just my opinion of course ...

anthony2690

Banned
The budget for Halo Infinite was close to 1 billion I heard.

Going to need a source to laugh at, especially as you believe this...

Edit: in the survey is there any mention of mtx prices? (This is my main gripe with the game other than slow content rollout & no traditional progression system currently in the game) £8 for an outfit/armour set that popular games like fortnite have normalised is crazy to me, as I remember the outrage for 89p outfits in gears judgment back in the day.

Last edited:
The survey is probably an excuse for the boss to close the studio as in: look, nobody likes you, we’re closing you down.

Which honestly is a weak strategy I would say. You should put away the studio from a position of strength and say they close down because they’re simply not producing results. Having a public survey like this sounds more like an old fashioned witch hunt and to me it doesn’t give a good feeling about MS.

supernova8

Banned
I mean Halo and Gears of War were mega hits for the Xbox then 360. Just can't rely on that for the entirety. Not to mention online competition is so much greater now.
The studios handling Halo and Gears are effectively surrogate mothers. I think that's part of the problem.

Both franchises look like they're almost frozen in time in terms of game mechanics. Nothing wrong with the franchises per se, they're just in the wrong hands (not sure what the rights are, though).
Compare that to God of War on PS4 versus everything that came before it, or the massive upgrade from Uncharted 3 to Uncharted 4. It's not even remotely close.

Last edited:

BlackTron

MS have gone through the studio with a broom, cleaned out alot of the dead wood and I have no doubt that things will improve from here on out.

The good thing now is that Halo, while it's important for Xbox, it no longer needs to hold the console on its shoulders anymore.
MS now has equal IP like Doom, Gears, Wolfenstien, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Starfield and hopefully Call of Duty. This means that 343 can now take their time and reboot the Series.

I like this take. Sometimes you need a true disaster for things to change. Because MS is so conservative and can tank so many hits, even botching the MCC wasn't enough.

It can be a good thing. The aimless Wii U debacle resulted in Switch. Sometimes you gotta hit rock bottom first.

kuncol02

Banned
I like this take. Sometimes you need a true disaster for things to change. Because MS is so conservative and can tank so many hits, even botching the MCC wasn't enough.

It can be a good thing. The aimless Wii U debacle resulted in Switch. Sometimes you gotta hit rock bottom first.
They already fired basically whole leadership of 343.

Spaceman292

Banned
Look, I'm critical of 343. They deserve alot of the criticism that is going their way. The budget for Halo Infinite was close to 1 billion I heard. They were given free range. They had a very large workforce of close to 500 people. On top of that they used three support studios in Certain Affinity, Sperasoft and Skybox Labs.
That is a massive amount of resources.
They had six years to develop the game.
Those six years with over 750 employees and nearly a billions dollars delivered one campaign game and a half assed multiplayer game.
That's truly unacceptable.

On the pro side, Halo Infinate campaign was a very good game. It's the best Halo since Bungie stopped making it. They delivered on that front.

On the negative side the multiplayer was a disaster.
The amount of time that they lost by changing engines half way through was crazy.
The engine they did create was sub standard and they would have been better off to use another engine like Unreal.

However, Microsoft has recognised all of this. First 343 embarrassed them with the initial showing of the game and the whole Craig meme.
They then missed the console launch and left MS with no first party game to accompany the console. They even had all the promotional stuff tailored around it.
On top of that MS know just how much money they would had lost on that game, and just how the reputation of Halo has diminished.

tbh Gears and Wolfenstein are nosediving too. Elder Scrolls is taking so long to make that it's barely worth thinking about right now, and the next Fallout will take even longer than that.

Why are Microsoft polling the public like this on an internal decision? Surely the fate of a big studio shouldn't hinge on some randos' opinions?

Well, a cross-section of Xbox gamers, who are the target market for past and future Halo games, are not just some randos.

They are precisely the only stakeholders whose opinions matter on the state of the Halo franchise and the remaining hope (or lack thereof) for its future in the hands of 343i.

I actually, agree that this is in poor taste, but I can totally see the logic and value of them polling this group.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Im torn about what to answer.

My favorite Halo so far is 4, which is made by 343 industries.

After only need to complete Halo Infinite, I can see why people are upset over 343 Industries, as in my opinion they make good gameplay, but shitty stories.

Playing with a controller, I gotta be honest that Halo 5 Guardian felt best, and I really do like the art style they used in this. But my god that fucking story. The plot was dragged faaarr to long, and wasnt really interesting.
I mean
The twist with Cortana was kinda cool, even though it could be seen a mile away. Shes trying to do something for the greater good, but end up being... kinda evil? I think its in a grey aera, up to the player what to think.
While I think the idea for the story is cool, it was very poorly made in the final product

Giving all the shit on the net 343 Industries, I was actually kinda surprised over they didnt make Halo reach, and Halo: ODST, as I think these are the weakest games in the series. I really love the characters in ODST, but I think the campaign is as and boring.

I only started on Halo Infinite, and so far I am having fun. I am pretty confused, as I dont understand why the brutes now are the main enemies, or the leader or what you wanna call them. Its like, going from 5 to Infinite, its like theres a gap of story missing.

Probably because I need to complete the Halo Wars games? Which sucks if thats the case, as I am not really intro RTS games.

From what I see with Halo Infinite, is the campaign is fun, but the multiplayer is straight up trash.
Not in the sense of its bad, but because they are releasing a GaaS game with literally nothing in it. I love online, I like Halo, and I played Halo Infinite online for like one or two months. But running the same handful of maps just wasnt exciting. It was waaay to barebone as release, and in that area you either make it or break it. The momentum is in the beginning, and if you fail that, then you are fucked.

There are some games that made a return despite being shit, like ESO and FFXIV, but the list can be shown on one hand, versus all the other that have failed.

If you fuck a massive franchise up like Halo up in an online game, then you are seriously a bunch of craigs.

343 Industries should get some story writers instead of the janitor, and get someone who actually understands to make a online GaaS.

Last edited:

Gtafans93

I want halo to go gritty and violent again. The halo series really showed what the covenant and there weapons can do to humans and what human weapons can do to covenant. I'd love to see them reboot back to the flood days of insanity and violence

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
The up side is no one will care if Call of Duty dies after it goes Xbox exclusive anyways
Agreed.

Call of Duty is a niche-indie franchise that never has hit the charts.

It's such a niche franchise that it's weird Sony does everything to keep it on their platform.
Like what are Sony thinking? They earn nothing on the game so why keep it. No one cares about it.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Is it because people aren't into 343 they they aren't asking basic validity questions? Like okay the first question is obvious and benign, but the second is so specific and tailored not to how a professional would ask this on a survey, but what a current player who doesn't know about survey design would think a professional survey designer would ask this question.

. . .also the second question has no punctuation and the "NA" response is is different formatting.

Top Bottom