• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xbox Series S owner. Help me with some recommendations

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
No need to wait sales, it's only 10 bucks ;)

Guardian Heroes is currently at 2 dollars FFS !
Yeah, it's pretty great having access to so many older games. I picked up Radiant Silvergun on sale a few weeks back. And most games have a substantial performance boost.

They really need to get Otogi 1 and 2 up on there, and a few others I'm missing still.

SkylineRKR

I bought Orta last spring on S. I did my part. It looks ridiculously good.

I've been looking at these because the X is not possible to find in the UK for some reason.

Is the performance on the S any better than the One X or would it just be a sidegrade rather than an upgrade.

Its absolutely an upgrade.

The only downside is that unupgraded games take the One S profile rather than the One X so they're lower res but usually faster loading etc. If a game is upgraded, its leagues better on S. At times not higher resolution, but always higher framerate, massively reduced load times.

The Series S can do One X resolutions with better perf. Gears 5 for example averages the same 1440p res but drops no frame on SS, loads about 4 times faster as well. MP at 120 feels good.

Last edited:
Gamepass - allows you to sample all sorts of different genres.

Souls Like - Code Vein, Remnant from the Ashes, The Surge 2
Elder Scrolls Games
I found ReCore to be quite entertaining. Bit of platforming and shooting.
Hollowknight is a great metroidvania.
Psychonauts 2
Then there's the Halo's which are fun.
Various racing games.

Just depends on personal taste. I got a Series S too. Mainly to keep me content until the Series X and PS5 are easier to find. Honestly the Series S has been awesome. Runs quiet. Graphics are good enough for me.

Chukhopops

So nothing that actually released this year then.
Even if you take those weird « must never have been released on any platform before » rules then you still have some. But I’m sure you’d add some new rules so let’s agree your expectations cannot be met :lollipop_sleeping:.

Last edited:

Huggers

My last post in this thread got deleted because it was seen as 'bait'. It was completely innocent. Talking about how I'd forgotten about Panzer Dragoon and how much I'm enjoying Forza Horizon 4. I'm confused! Is this an error?

Riky

$MSFT
A1
My last post in this thread got deleted because it was seen as 'bait'. It was completely innocent. Talking about how I'd forgotten about Panzer Dragoon and how much I'm enjoying Forza Horizon 4. I'm confused! Is this an error?

I read that post, don't see why it would be deleted, very strange.

The trolls posts got deleted, might be yours got caught up in that by accident.

Last edited:

Concern

Store return

Dancing Pallbearers GIF by Jason Clarke

Trolls just can't control themselves

Huggers

A1

I read that post, don't see why it would be deleted, very strange.

The trolls posts got deleted, might be yours got caught up in that by accident.

Ah okay. I've been a member for ages but don't post often, I thought maybe I'd inadvertently said something out of turn!

Aion002

First of all, get ZoE collection is on games with gold from this month.

Also I just want to add that if you enjoy Splinter Cell you can buy the whole series on the Xbox store. They actually look good on it, specially Conviction and Blacklist.

There's a great selection of cool indie games from the 360 era like: Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet.

And if you enjoy JRPGs: Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery are the 3 big exclusive ones from the 360.

Now about new games, complementing what others have added: all ubisoft games that were patched for the Series looks great. For Honor is on game pass and is really good looking.

There's also Dirt 5, that while a little boring, it looks amazing.

Hellblade is really "next gen" graphically after the patch and Yakuza 7 is pretty.

Last edited:

Huggers

One of the mods is a huge fan of Lair and gets really prickly whenever other dragons are mentioned on here.

Ha! I remember buying that and Heavenly Sword in the early PS3 days. Both had iffy frame rates, both had iffy motion controls.... Loved both if I'm honest

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
don't have a Xbox but Ori would be my first point of call if i did.

I think it's one of the best games out there + there is a sequel.

Alebrije

I've been looking at these because the X is not possible to find in the UK for some reason.

Is the performance on the S any better than the One X or would it just be a sidegrade rather than an upgrade.
Get the One X only if resolution is priority for you , also if its cheaper and plan to play games from 2021 to before.

S will be fine for some time but as soon as you can get an X. the size of SSD on S is a joke so if you want to have digital games will be forced to get an expensive external one.

Honestly I would wait until get an X but if the hunger is big...get an S over One X.

I have a One X and do not see the need to move to S because I like resolution and 30 fps is fine, also ray tracing on consoles is a joke , specially on S.

I

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Get the One X only if resolution is priority for you , also if its cheaper and plan to play games from 2021 to before.

S will be fine for some time but as soon as you can get an X. the size of SSD on S is a joke so if you want to have digital games will be forced to get an expensive external one.

Honestly I would wait until get an X but if the hunger is big...get an S over One X.

I have a One X and do not see the need to move to S because I like resolution and 30 fps is fine, also ray tracing on consoles is a joke , specially on S.

I

I think this answer could also depend on his TV resolution and screen size/seating distance. If a person is 15 feet away from a 55" 4K tv, he can only see 1080p, or a smaller TV, or a 1080p TV, they might benefit more from increased framerates and much faster loading time on the S.
In addition going forward there may be games out on the S that just aren't released at all on the one X.

Top Bottom