• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xbox Team Forms to Push Kinect

Synth

I just don't want to use anything but a controller. No goggles no jumping up and down no sticks. Just a controller.

Then do that?... I don't see why people want everything they're not interested in to not exist for everyone else.

DodgerSan

They must have data we don't to think this is a good idea. Because from every visible metric we have, the Market has spoken out resoundingly against the Kinect.

Alx

They must have data we don't to think this is a good idea. Because from every visible metric we have, the Market has spoken out resoundingly against the Kinect.

The market has mostly spoken for a cheaper console, which is no big surprise anyway. Same thing happened for the PS3 (except it didn't have a solution to cut the costs that fast). It doesn't mean there's no demand for Kinect features.

DodgerSan

The market has mostly spoken for a cheaper console, which is no big surprise anyway. Same thing happened for the PS3 (except it didn't have a solution to cut the costs that fast). It doesn't mean there's no demand for Kinect features.

No demand is not the same as disinterest. I'm sure you're right, there will be a certain section of the audience who loves Kinect. But the general apathy on 360 and the initial slow sales of the mandatory kinect bundle suggest that demand is low. I know plenty of people who had ZERO interest in the XB 1 that subsequently picked it up when they didn't have to get the camera, which they neither wanted or needed. Price is obviously a factor, but I don't think its the only one. Like I said, they must know something we don't.

Fitts

dead.png

Didn't they just free up some CPU space that was dedicated to Kinect though?

Exactly what I was thinking. One step forward, two steps back.

Synth

I do believe I was speaking on my own behalf and not some imaginary scenario you seem to have concocted.

Okay sure, I apologise for that. I admittedly added additional meaning to your post, assuming it had more of a point besides "I don't like thing". I guess I'm just surprised that you'd even bother to enter and post it seeing as this is a new team (so not deducting from anything that'd concern you in the past), creating something that you clearly have no interest in, regardless of what it actually turns out to be. I just tend to ignore threads with that sort of combination exist completely.

No demand is not the same as disinterest. I'm sure you're right, there will be a certain section of the audience who loves Kinect. But the general apathy on 360 and the initial slow sales of the mandatory kinect bundle suggest that demand is low. I know plenty of people who had ZERO interest in the XB 1 that subsequently picked it up when they didn't have to get the camera, which they neither wanted or needed. Price is obviously a factor, but I don't think its the only one. Like I said, they must know something we don't.

Price seems like the main factor for what you're describing actually, unless your friends would have selected a Kinectless XB1 over one with the Kinect at the same price. If not, the only real factor is at what price differential it stops being something they'd take as a bundle.

Didn't they just free up some CPU space that was dedicated to Kinect though?

They freed up resources for anything that doesn't use the Kinect. So a newly developed Kinect game won't benefit (it'd just be the same as before), whilst a new Halo does. The only reason I can imagine the reserve was in place in the first place is because they wanted to avoid studios weighing up the cost of resources versus the benefits of adding optional Kinect functionality. It's a change that would have made sense even if the Kinect was still in every box imo.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I actually don't mind MS putting resources into Kinect. I agree that its appeal is limited for gaming, but I love it for the utility features (voice commands, video chat, etc.). I'm hoping they continue to improve on the voice commands and eventually get Cortana functionality on the XB1.

Pretty much my feelings on the matter. I've been a dyed-in-the-wool skeptic of Kinect's viability as a gaming interface since day #1. Basically because its a lossy kind of system that really stands against the need for precision and reliability that is basically paramount for gaming input.

However, on a system/OS-level where it can provide additional/supplementary input, particularly on non time-critical functions its definitely got some value.

The key thing I guess is that as an in-game interface, limited conditions for practical use is not the same deal as no use whatsoever. Meaning that even if it won't be the "game-changing" revolution MS initially hyped it as, its still worthy of further exploration even if its going to be for corner-case applications.

BWJinxing

Where was this team during matrick era?

If MS wants to spend money on kinect, well fine. Personally, I feel they be better off with VR and things with physical feedback. Kinect can never give that physical feedback, least in its current state. VR will eventually get better that. Which is why i can't get into it, there's no tactile feel.

If they plan to continue it being a sensor bar with trick features, I think its a better fit outside of gaming realm. That's what this armchair general would do.

Alx

If they plan to continue it being a sensor bar with trick features, I think its a better fit outside of gaming realm. That's what this armchair general would do.

And that's what MS has been doing with kinect2 since the beginning, for better or worse : they mostly insisted on its uses as a generic interface, even added an IR blaster in it to control other devices in the room, while having a relatively low focus on motion games (which for some reason made the kinect haters hate it even more).
I said it from the beginning of kinect1, but it is much more than a gaming peripheral, it's a whole interface. It is your console's eyes, ears and now hands ; for a piece of electronics to be smart you have to let it perceive its environment. What makes a smartphone so smart is in great part the inertial sensors, GPS and camera. Without those, it's just an iPod, which nobody calls "smart".

KingJ2002

Meh...

Spit ballers for a final attempt to save the device before they can big budget projects for it it all together.

_Ryo_

I really don't understand their frame of mind anymore.

The market rejects the kinect
and microsoft doubles down on it.

why?

I really don't understand their frame of mind anymore.

The market rejects the kinect
and microsoft doubles down on it.

why?

Did the market reject Kinect or the initial X1 offering due to the negative press that was surrounding the console at the time?

Let's not forget that Kinect 1.0 sold quite well, almost better than anyone anticipated, so maybe that's why they are doubling down or at least keeping some support going in the background?

Zedox

I can't wait to see what they got going and bring more things to the future. I don't care what anyone says but I like the Kinect. Maybe not for gaming as no one has really made a great game with it yet as revolutionary as Mario 64 but just for a home automation standpoint, it's the future (can't wait to see Windows 10 apps on XB1, that's the trojan horse for Kinect imo).

??? Navigation has been much easer with Kinect for me. I can quickly navigate wherever I want to go with Kinect. Much quicker than without it on the Xbox One and quicker than I can navigate on my PS4 with the controller. Kinect is the one thing I use everytime my Xbox Ones are on. Plus i use Kinect to turn them on and off.

My experience has been the opposite.Yeah there are a few things that are quicker to get to on the Xbox One with Kinect than the controller (assuming the kinect is willing to work)but thats only because the os was built that way. Its hard to find certain setting with the controller but thats is nothing that a UI adjustment wouldn't fix and I'm sure that will happen soon. Still, with the kinect, its frustrating to repeat saying the same thing over and over or waving arms around in hopes that it will pick up what I want it to do. Worse is when it decided that to work went I didn't want to. My daughter sits next to me to watch me play a game. The kinect decides it needs to log me off, log her on, and my save gets corrupted and I lose all my progress in Valiant Hearts.
I'm fairly sure I never want a kinect plugged into my Xbox one again.

Top Bottom