• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Yakuza game starring Ichiban Kasuga information to be announced on July 10

Mista

Banned
Yakuza-Ichiban-Kasuga_06-23-19.jpg

More information on the new Yakuza title starring Ichiban Kasuga will be announced on July 10, according to Yakuza series producer Daisuke Sato.

Speaking to Gamebase.com.tw at a launch event for the PlayStation 4 version of Yakuza 5 in Taipei, Sato was asked whether Kazuma Kiryu, the protagonist of the Yakuza series up until the latest entry Yakuza 6: The Song of Life, could appear again in a new title.
“At this time, that is not a question I can answer. On July 10, we will announce the supporting actress for the new title, as well as share the latest information on the new title, so please look forward to it.”

The supporting actress Sato is referring to is the one found to play the role of the protagonist’s partner through the open audition initiative that Sega launched back in Marc

F I N A L L Y !!!!!!!!

YukiOnna

Given they've outright not said "no" in regards to Kiryu's return, I'm sure he'll come back in some capacity in a later game in the main story. Just not this one as it's necessary for the franchise given they're starting with a new protagonist.

CyRuZ

Banned
Yay, more assett reuse. :pie_eyeroll:

I hope they would change the city as well or expand the map. People gone batshit crazy when CoD:MW3 reused one animation. Yet RGG gets a pass for reusing almost everything.

Edit: added MW to be precise. Not CoD3

Last edited:

YukiOnna

I hope they would change the city as well or expand the map. People gone batshit crazy when CoD3 reused one animation. Yet RGG gets a pass for reusing almost everything.
I'm not sure about CoD, but I feel those are vastly different examples. RgG brings in everything (including its mini-games) then adds on to it alongside the narrative portions being entirely new.

Fbh

I hope they would change the city as well or expand the map. People gone batshit crazy when CoD3 reused one animation. Yet RGG gets a pass for reusing almost everything.

Well to be fair COD probably sells more in a day than what most Yakuza games sell in their lifetime. So it's not exactly comparable.

But yeah, as a long time fan I'm getting tired. If this is yet another Kakurocho game I'll probably be skipping it until there's a very big discount/price drop.

And since they updated to the new engine it just seems to be getting worse. We went from Yakuza 5 with 5 playable character and like 5 locations to Yakuza 6 with just Kiryu and 2 locations, now there's judgment which as far as I know is only Kamurocho and then there will be this new game which, let's be honest, is probably going to be Kamurocho too

Last edited:

OldGamer

As long as it's fun, I will play

But yeah, at least add ONE all new city district.

As for Kamurocho being used, it will depend on how much this leans on the prior Yakuza families and their history. But, yeah, it will probably be so it can be released next year.

YukiOnna

I don't mind Kamurocho as long as they keep bringing back classics and adding onto it. It felt refreshing enough when they changed the visual style and engine for me. More locations and playable characters doesn't really equal better so I'm glad they dialed it back. Definitely expecting new locations in this alongside Kamurocho.

CyRuZ

Banned
I'm not sure about CoD, but I feel those are vastly different examples. RgG brings in everything (including its mini-games) then adds on to it alongside the narrative portions being entirely new.
Thx for proving my point. Even the minigames are the same since ever. Karaoke, arcade, fight club, darts, etc.
I wouldn't mind if the games where released for 30-40$/€, as a fullprice game i feel they cheap out.

Edit: and jugdement is imo worse. New IP, yet still the same content. It feel lazy for me.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Thx for proving my point. Even the minigames are the same since ever. Karaoke, arcade, fight club, darts, etc.
I wouldn't mind if the games where released for 30-40$/€, as a fullprice game i feel they cheap out.

Edit: and jugdement is imo worse. New IP, yet still the same content. It feel lazy for me.
I wasn't really disagreeing with you, just saying it depends on how you look at it and what you focus on in RgG and CoD isn't the best example for it. I understand how people may feel fatigue from it, but in my case it's just franchise staples + whatever other new stuff they add each game.

CyRuZ

Banned
One thing i credit them is that they finally added engl. localisation in judgement. Gives me hope that this will probably, let's hope, also gets engl. Vo.

OldGamer

RgG was never really a AAA series though. It was always niche budget title with a decent engine and a little extra polish.

Verdanth

So Nagoshi-san, when can I expect my Yakuza: Dancing All Night, with all the series themes and karaoke songs?

Also, bring back Kiryu.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hurry up and release the rest of the Yakuza games on PC, Sega (yeah, I know it takes time, and they probably will be comming)! I need to catch up and play all these games in order before I can get to this one.

I just started Kiwami. 0 Was one of my favorite game surprises. I had never played a Yakuza game and was shocked how awesome it was. Kiwami is feeling very similar so I imagine they tend to reuse assets a lot but even the start of that game had me laughing. Sega needs to keep them coming.

Verdanth

I just started Kiwami. 0 Was one of my favorite game surprises. I had never played a Yakuza game and was shocked how awesome it was. Kiwami is feeling very similar so I imagine they tend to reuse assets a lot but even the start of that game had me laughing. Sega needs to keep them coming.

The using of similar assets through out the series exists, but it's far from always experiencing the same game over and over again. You always have that same place in all games - Kamurocho - the city always calls for trouble.

But it never gets old, because if you start to be fond with the series, you will also start to be fond with Kamurocho. It always feels good to go back for another amazingly well crafted narrative.

Murr

Probably only 20 years until i can play it on PC!
Seriously love the Yakuza series though. There aren't many open wolrd games out where, that feel unique and fresh.

Considering how good a lot of the side characters are in the series, I have no doubt he will be a great addition. I have faith.

And his haircut is badass.

Last edited:

RavageX

I don't think I like the new guy, but we will see.

Btw, I'm playing 6 right now and it seems to me like the facial animations arent as expressive as they have been. Could just be me though.

Verdanth

I don't think I like the new guy, but we will see.

Btw, I'm playing 6 right now and it seems to me like the facial animations arent as expressive as they have been. Could just be me though.

Nop, you're right. I thought the same.

Facial animation wise Yakuza 6 was kind of a step down for me.

Don't know if they fixed that in Kiwami 2 and Judgement.

One thing i credit them is that they finally added engl. localisation in judgement. Gives me hope that this will probably, let's hope, also gets engl. Vo.

Yeah, I really hope they add an English dub to future Yakuza games as that would give me extra incentive to play them. I really hate subtitles.

xrnzaaas

I know it's way too early to comment on the new character, but I still get the feeling he's got potential only to be in a spinoff game, not in the next mainline entry.

Mista

Banned
I know it's way too early to comment on the new character, but I still get the feeling he's got potential only to be in a spinoff game, not in the next mainline entry.
That’s what I feel too. He might end up badass at the end

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Yakuza represents the linear, spit in your eye, GTA style game, I challenge anyone in this thread to skip out on this game over a main character, not saying Yakuza is the best but we've seen again and again the praise this series gets.

Mista

Banned
Yakuza represents the linear, spit in your eye, GTA style game, I challenge anyone in this thread to skip out on this game over a main character, not saying Yakuza is the best but we've seen again and again the praise this series gets.
Speaking for myself, no way in hell I'm skipping this!

Verdanth

I have a feeling that the next logical step for the series is for them to let you choose what type of yakuza Ichiban is gonna be. From what I read Ichiban is someone that will start from the very low ranks.

Imagine having the chance to become a badass Kuze, a much more skeptical and backstage maestro like Awano, or a justice fighting machine like Kiryu.

That would be pretty dope.

However, not sure if they can handle that, because something like this would ask for multiple ending possibilities, and if this title marks the next wave of titles in the franchise, they could end up screwing the narrative.

Still #InRGGTeamWeTrust

Last edited:
Top Bottom