• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Yooka-Laylee screenshots and info; Toybox coming for backers in July

udivision

That design... uh.. wow. It's obvious what they wanted to do but the execution is remarkably terrible.

They should (literally) go back the drawing board and use the first sketch as inspiration again, but follow it a little more closely maybe?

Samemind

Looking at it some more, i have to agree that rather than chin tentacles, the core problem is that her face is too human-like, which is leading to some uncanny valley shiz.

That design... uh.. wow. It's obvious what they wanted to do but the execution is remarkably terrible.

They should (literally) go back the drawing board and use the first sketch as inspiration again, but follow it a little more closely maybe?

AGHHH. I didn't want to say it myself, but there it is.
The majority of the character designs I've seen for this game have been great, but this one is... a bit off to me. =/

Anth0ny

Ed Bryan tweeted out the character he designed. (Dr. Puzz) and a couple of his illustrations

uV89xyb.jpg

tHLUew0.jpg

Xn51Ogo.jpg

I don't hate the design, but she went from cute to creepy in the transition from 2d to 3d. Wish the final version was a bit more cute lol

Looks literally two generations apart lmao. MN9 looks like a PS2 game rendered in PCSX2.
Pretty rough, yeah.

Don't really care what the reasons were for MN9 turning out like it did (engine they decided to use, going 2.5D vs. full 2D, 60fps vs. 30fps, focusing on 360/PS3 generation, etc) it just turned out bad both in raw graphics and artistically. It's like Splosion Man but without any of the charm.

Hopefully Yooka Laylee won't shit the bed when it comes to performance. It looks really good, but nothing that should destroy any current consoles including the Wii U.

So if some nameless fool idiot didn't back the Kickstarter for this when they should have, how do they go.. about getting it? Just wait till it's done and out on whatever platform we pick?

A-V-B

I don't hate the design, but she went from cute to creepy in the transition from 2d to 3d. Wish the final version was a bit more cute lol

You know what she kind of reminds me of, in the face section? A little bit? And this is not a slam on the devs at Playtonic because I know they're very talented folks.

latest

Only difference is this one hits the uncanny valley on purpose to creep you out.

So maybe the model could use another pass to more accurately represent the sketch? I dunno.

Astral Dog

So if some nameless fool idiot didn't back the Kickstarter for this when they should have, how do they go.. about getting it? Just wait till it's done and out on whatever platform we pick?
Yes, but i think paypal could be an option.at least was with Bloodstained

Dehumanize the face and give 'er some good ol' googly eyes. That'll do it.
Oh, and no tentacle beard. It's... weird.

EDIT: Oh God. I figured out exactly what it is about her that bothers me.
She looks like a goddamn Cabbage Patch Kid.

At the risk of being the asshole backseat character designer (you know the guy):
Dehumanized the face, subtracted the chintacles, and simplified (I suppose?) the four arms by wrapping the lower two around the upper. All this said and done, there may be a very good reason for her design that we haven't seen yet. Either way, still totally excited.

Sponge

Banned
I like the yellow skull shirt she has. It feels to me like a small nod to Mumbo. I don't exactly understand why she has tentacles under her head though.

Anarky

Banned
Dehumanize the face and give 'er some good ol' googly eyes. That'll do it.
Oh, and no tentacle beard. It's... weird.

EDIT: Oh God. I figured out exactly what it is about her that bothers me.
She looks like a goddamn Cabbage Patch Kid.

Oh shit you're right. That cabbage patch kid look is putting me off big time.

Samemind

At the risk of being the asshole backseat character designer (you know the guy):

Dehumanized the face, subtracted the chintacles, and simplified (I suppose?) the four arms by wrapping the lower two around the upper. All this said and done, there may be a very good reason for her design that we haven't seen yet. Either way, still totally excited.

I like this!

Here's a small experiment I did

Well, this is a pixar character at this point.

Cuuuute. I love how you took her bottom set of tentacles and wrapped them around her arm... tentacles. The eyes also fix one of the main issues I have with her actual design.

And at the risk of being the OTHER asshole backseat character designer, I decided to do my own take on how I would've gone with Dr. Puzz's look:

Priorities; got rid of the weird tentacle beard, and instead gave her "hair" as the tentacles from her weird jellyfish cap thing. Also removed her nose entirely, because an aquatic character like her looks bizarre with one. Other than that, I left her bottom portion intact, because I quite like how it looks. :)

PSqueak

Banned
Y'all people are crazy, Dr. Puzz is beautiful just the way she is, yer all sounding like all those loons who want to reduce Laylee's wonderfully bulbous nose~

That said, the fan designs are cute on their own, but fuck them, i like Dr. Puzz the way she is, she looks like a cute scientist suffered a cute but horrifying mutation!

Instro

+1 for that design. Nice work.

KrawlMan

And at the risk of being the OTHER asshole backseat character designer, I decided to do my own take on how I would've gone with Dr. Puzz's look:

Priorities; got rid of the weird tentacle beard, and instead gave her "hair" as the tentacles from her weird jellyfish cap thing. Also removed her nose entirely, because an aquatic character like her looks bizarre with one. Other than that, I left her bottom portion intact, because I quite like how it looks. :)

Both far superior. I really don't like much about the current design :(

I'm so excited for this. I'll agree a few character designs need a tad more work but it's still got that 90's Rare charm in spades, and I'm definitely digging Capital B as the Big Bad.

Really glad I backed so much into this.

A-V-B

Cuuuute. I love how you took her bottom set of tentacles and wrapped them around her arm... tentacles. The eyes also fix one of the main issues I have with her actual design.

Ooh, hey, that's pretty damn solid. It's more developed yet retains the charm of the "napkin sketch." I like it!

And the first fan redesign looks like Ponyo. Made me laugh, in a good way.

Y'all people are crazy, Dr. Puzz is beautiful just the way she is, yer all sounding like all those loons who want to reduce Laylee's wonderfully bulbous nose~

That said, the fan designs are cute on their own, but fuck them, i like Dr. Puzz the way she is, she looks like a cute scientist suffered a cute but horrifying mutation!

My avatar Laylee is best Laylee

Deadbeat

Banned

Now that is better. I like it.

Espio

Not sure if it was explained properly, but Dr. Puzz is in charge of Yooka's transformation machine, so the idea behind her design is that she's had a small 'accident' during her experiments :)

Needless to say she looks at her best animated in-game.

Sponge

Banned
Not sure if it was explained properly, but Dr. Puzz is in charge of Yooka's transformation machine, so the idea behind her design is that she's had a small 'accident' during her experiments :)

Knowing this helps her design make a lot more sense to me now. Looking forward to see her animated!

This small piece of information justifies the design a lot more for me, lol.

Big Nikus

If the game turns out as good as it seems to be I could see microsoft hiring them to do a new Banjo or Conker.

I sure hope not. They created Playtonic in order to not find themselves in this situation ever again, and to have a complete controle over what they create. They want to create games in differente genres that share the same universe, and I hope they stick to it.
I'd be down for a new Banjo from today's Rare though. And if it disappoints I wouldn't be too mad since we've got Playtonic now.

Kinsei

Banned
If the game turns out as good as it seems to be I could see microsoft hiring them to do a new Banjo or Conker.

Based on what they've said I don;t think Playtonic would really want to work with another companies IP so soon. I think they'll want to flesh on the PGU* first.

*PGU stands for Playtonic Gaming Universe

wrowa

Why would Microsoft want that? These guys - and the current Rare as well - could have done that when they still worked for the company, but there's just no interest at Microsoft for this kind of game. I don't see why that would have drastically changed.

If Yooka-Laylee is successful, I also don't see what Playtonic would have to gain from that partnership. They've created their very own baby, there's no reason anymore to revisit Banjo and to limit Playtonic's work on Microsoft platforms.

Top Bottom