• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spoilers New York bail reform not working!

Christopher

Mar 19, 2005
Who knew fucking criminals.....have to stay in jail.

In the three days since New York’s criminal justice reform law took effect, people charged with committing anti-Semitic hate crimes have made headlines because, under the law, judges freed them without bail.

AfricanKing

Formerly 'AfricanKing' ... purposely obtuse
Jul 16, 2017
That sloppy bail reform. If reoffending conditions are not set then what’s the point. In the UK you don’t have to pay for Bail but it’s automatic release unless you commit a serious crime and a Arms length list of restrictions are given.

Reactions: Yoshi

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
Reading the article the law appears to be working just fine.

What isn't working is how it makes politicians look when they say "zero tolerance for hate crimes" and then immediately release people charged with them.

They'll probably put in a carve-out for a select group of charges, just like at least one other state has done.

Reactions: Miku Miku

Teletraan1

May 17, 2012
Canada
It is working just fine. These poor people were just violently expressing their feelings towards Israel foriegn policy. They hold no animosity towards Jewish people when they scream fuck the Jews while attacking them. Plus everyone who has a Twitter account or ever heard a Democrat speak on the issue knows that only white supremacists emboldened by Trump hate the Jews.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
If you stick your fingers in you ears anfmd head in the sand the problem goes away. Instead of dealing with the crime issue NY just decided to let people out with no bail and wow the prison population dropped. NY just solved crime.

Krappadizzle

Oct 4, 2011
Lol, now talking about reforming the reform. These fucking politicians are insanely stupid people. It blows my mind how out of touch our politicians can be.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: Oner

Super Mario

Mario Mario
Nov 12, 2016
We have solved the real problem here though. Criminals with no money have the right to not go to jail. It's very unfair.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
It's like New York City is trying to one-up San Francisco at who's the worse city.
It's a tough field, what with Portland, Seattle, and L.A.

Old time standards are Baltimore, Chicago and Detroit (this city is secretly being gentrified...shh).

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Next step get rid of the police, that will really bring down the crime rate. Would also solve the problem of institutional racism in the criminal justice system.

If there is no criminal justice system there can't be racisim!

<insert black guy pointing to his head thinking GIF>

• Thoughtful
Reactions: hariseldon

gunslikewhoa

Mar 3, 2014

“Since 2020 began, as of Friday at midnight, robberies are up 32.5 percent, car theft is up 61 percent and burglaries are up 18 percent compared to the same time period last year,” The New York Post reported. “And the numbers aren’t fractions either — a total of 233 more robberies have happened this year compared to last, 159 more car thefts and 125 more burglaries, just in the last three weeks.”

“In the first three weeks of this year, we’re seeing significant spikes in crime. So either we forgot how to police New York City, or there’s a correlation,” Shea said. “If you let out individuals that commit a lot of crime, that’s precision policing in reverse and we’re seeing the effects in a very quick time, and that is why we’re so concerned.”

“People say it just took effect, you can’t have consequences already. Take a look at the comp stat,” Shea continued. “We’re seeing it immediately at the same time that you have [state and local jail] populations dropping significantly. Now don’t tell me there’s not a correlation to that.”

“You have to have a situation where dangerous individuals, or individuals that repeatedly commit crimes and victimize people, are kept in,” Shea added. “And if judges don’t have that ability, I think we’re all in trouble, and I don’t think any New Yorker wants that to happen.”

• LOL
Reactions: DunDunDunpachi

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Fake news. How can crime be sky rocketing if no one is sitting in jail? If there are no prisoners there is no crime.

Clearly toxic masculinty WHYTE SUPREMACIST fake news. Only WHYTE people would say crime is sky rocketing when they have no prisoners. Whats next you are going to tell me that antisemetic attacks are on the rise in New York, that they support 3rd term abortions? FAKE NEWS.

• Praise the Sun
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: zeorhymer and Ornlu

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
I love megacities. They are like an infectious disease lab but for the study of ideas and the development of inoculations. Sometimes it leaks out and gives the entire state or the entire country a bout of coronavirus, but in most cases it allows more sensible people to observe from a distance and to vote accordingly.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
How racist of people not wanting to be robbed while taking the subway. The nerve of some people. Crackers need to learn and just accept that they are racist for complaining when they are robbed or assaulted.

Reactions: SLoWMoTIoN

The Pleasure

Jan 8, 2019
Yay for casual racism?
first guys name was Jake. The other guys name was Jordan. I believe he was Canadian.

You gotta keep up with your Beavis and butthead brah. How am I supposed to make old fashioned jokes from mtvs glory days if you ruin them? This is why sixteen and pregnant got multiple seasons.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: infinitys_7th