• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

New York judge rules Trump must turn over tax returns for hush money investigation

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
President Donald Trump lost his bid Monday to shield his tax returns from the Manhattan District Attorney's office, which subpoenaed them as part of an investigation into "hush payments" to Stormy Daniels and Karen McDougal. In a 75-page decision Judge Victor Marrero said he could not endorse "such a categorical and limitless assertion of presidential immunity from judicial process as being countenanced by the nation's constitutional plan." Trump had argued he was immune from any criminal proceeding while in office. The judge said the president was entitled to no such "protective shield."

"The notion of federal supremacy and presidential immunity from judicial process that the president here invokes, unqualified and boundless in its reach as described above, cuts across the grain of these constitutional precedents," Marrero wrote. The judge dismissed the president's lawsuit that was meant to stop the subpoena from being enforced.

President Trump's legal team filed an immediate notice of appeal to the 2nd Circuit. The Manhattan DA's office declined to comment to ABC News.

EDIT: As expected the 2nd circuit has ordered a temporary stay on the subpoena

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
Bold flex by the lawyers, but I did not see that argument holding.
Yeah thats my main takeaway from this. I don't really expect anything major to come out of his returns, but I do think that the judge laying down that kind of precedent is important going forward. No president should be off limits like that.

Cravis

Gold Member
Aug 18, 2006
“Setting precedent” on something like this is so stupid. By the time we are done the form to run for President will have all these caveats and releases to sign. What’s next?

Make sure you bring in all your vaccination paperwork to prove to the people that you are current on all your shots.

Authorize release of your last 10 years tax returns.

Need copy of your drivers license front and back.

Both a fecal, urine, and semen sample.

Original college transcripts.

😆

Hotspurr

Jan 27, 2018
Every US president has done this. Why is Trump being a weasel? Reminds me of Hillary and her weasley email server. It's like you can't have non shit people in office, because anyone with a brain probably goes into more meaningful careers. Canada elected a drama teacher / ski instructor who used to run around wearing blackface and now tells everyone how much of a progressive feminist he is while dancing in ethnic garb.

Panda1

Jan 12, 2010
PMSL !!!!! I love how desperate the DNC is and the media!!! I love how Nobody Important posted this ! and love how this will mean fuck all !

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
Every US president has done this. Why is Trump being a weasel? Reminds me of Hillary and her weasley email server. It's like you can't have non shit people in office, because anyone with a brain probably goes into more meaningful careers. Canada elected a drama teacher / ski instructor who used to run around wearing blackface and now tells everyone how much of a progressive feminist he is while dancing in ethnic garb.
It's not required and has only been done since 1976. Voters didn't seem to care since he won without releasing them.

Last edited:

SurprisedPikachu

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2014
Earth
Didn't the US Supreme Court 2nd Circuit slap this down or was that some other lawsuit about trying to force him to release his taxes. Rachel Madcow ran a story about how he got ahold of Trumps tax returns from like a decade ago and was shocked to find that that he... paid his taxes... and it was a lot.. and that it was from a decade or something ago.

• LOL
Reactions: oatmeal and Oner

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
Didn't the US Supreme Court 2nd Circuit slap this down or was that some other lawsuit about trying to force him to release his taxes. Rachel Madcow ran a story about how he got ahold of Trumps tax returns from like a decade ago and was shocked to find that that he... paid his taxes... and it was a lot.. and that it was from a decade or something ago.
There are two cases:
1) This one to release his returns to congress due to the Stormy Daniels/Karen McDougal payments.
2) The one in California that would require him to release his tax returns if he wanted to be on the ballot in CA in 2020.

#2 was shot down because it goes against the constitution. #1 is still in the air. Trump says they have no actual reason for wanting his returns other then harassment. Democrats say they need the returns for reasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: A Regular Guy

CatLady

Jun 12, 2018
i don’t think Trump would have ever run if there was something that bad in his tax returns
i think he is just setting up people for another big nothing burger
I don't know, I doubt he'd fight so hard to avoid revealing them if he didn't have something to hide. He was a businessman and business owner I would not be at all surprised if he took a lot of liberties with writeoffs, deductions etc. I know I certainly would. I like to let our money-grabbing govt have as little of the money I busted my ass for as possible.

SurprisedPikachu

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2014
Earth
I don't know, I doubt he'd fight so hard to avoid revealing them if he didn't have something to hide. He was a businessman and business owner I would not be at all surprised if he took a lot of liberties with writeoffs, deductions etc. I know I certainly would. I like to let our money-grabbing govt have as little of the money I busted my ass for as possible.
Dude, it's a matter of privacy. I don't want people knowing what my tax returns are. Don't pull that fucking "oh, if you don't have anything to hide then what's the big deal?" bull shit. That's how we let the fucking cunts in office pass the Patriot Act so they can spy on American's and shit, that same fucking mentality.

CeroFrio996

privileged little shit
Jun 20, 2019
“Setting precedent” on something like this is so stupid. By the time we are done the form to run for President will have all these caveats and releases to sign. What’s next?

Make sure you bring in all your vaccination paperwork to prove to the people that you are current on all your shots.

Authorize release of your last 10 years tax returns.

Need copy of your drivers license front and back.

Both a fecal, urine, and semen sample.

Original college transcripts.

😆
Aside from the obviously ridiculous things why is it so bad to want to take sure our command in chief is on the level and not using his position for personal gains? For that matter, why shouldn't we hold all officials to that high standard? If they have conflicts of interest the people should be made aware before they vote.

Hotspurr

Jan 27, 2018
It's not required and has only been done since 1976. Voters didn't seem to care since he won without releasing them.
I don't see how these are valid reasons. Transparency is always important, especially for public servants. If there is nothing there, Democrats will just make fools of themselves, and further make him look good. If there is something there, then he will be called out for corruption and people could vote for someone better. As far as the public is concerned, him releasing his taxes is a win win. But I understand if you want to defend him, people here do that regardless of whether it makes sense or not, because reasons ;)

Dec 15, 2011
OK, let's do this again:

Everyone demanding transparency should provide their passport number, bank account details, pin, home address, job title and name of employer.

Transparency is very important.
You have nothing to fear if you have nothing to hide.

No excuses now. Transparency 👏 transparency 👏 transparency 👏.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
I don't see how these are valid reasons.
The first statement I mentioned wasn't meant to be a valid reason. It was to show that not every President has released their tax returns, as you stated. It's only been a thing for the last forty years. I just wanted to point that out.

Transparency is always important, especially for public servants. If there is nothing there, Democrats will just make fools of themselves, and further make him look good. If there is something there, then he will be called out for corruption and people could vote for someone better. As far as the public is concerned, him releasing his taxes is a win win.
I stand by my second statement. If there was something dirty in there the IRS would have found it. I'm sure if they were released and everything was fine and legal the Democrats would find something in there to obsess about. Every little thing has to get a negative spin nowadays.

He only has the voters to answer to. If the voters overall do not care then there is no incentive to put his tax returns out there. I don't see any benefit to him.

But I understand if you want to defend him, people here do that regardless of whether it makes sense or not, because reasons ;)
This is a dumb thing to inject into a conversation. There are plenty of things I disagree with Trump on. Just today I disagreed with his Syria descision. I'm defending the tax return descision because it makes sense to me.

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
I don't see how these are valid reasons. Transparency is always important, especially for public servants. If there is nothing there, Democrats will just make fools of themselves, and further make him look good. If there is something there, then he will be called out for corruption and people could vote for someone better. As far as the public is concerned, him releasing his taxes is a win win. But I understand if you want to defend him, people here do that regardless of whether it makes sense or not, because reasons ;)
I think some people have a tendency to believe that the other, larger, more moderate Democrats (such as myself)or moderate Republicans on this board are defending Trump when nothing could be further from the truth.

We are defending free speech, gun rights, science, rational thought, reasoned debate, legal immigration, actual borders for our country, a press that isn't biased, and privacy rights on a daily basis from people, who have lost their minds because a game show host, is the President of the United States.

Donald Trump is taking the brunt of the lunatics, so in turn we speak up for him, or anyone, that draws the ire of the fringe left, or even establishment left now. This case is an obvious attempt to get a portion, or all of his tax returns released.

Once again, there is no law that states anyone, or even the President of the United States has to release his tax returns. If this is something that needs to be changed, then there are proper channels in doing so.

Good luck.

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
I think some people have a tendency to believe that the other, larger, more moderate Democrats (such as myself)
or moderate Republicans on this board are defending Trump when nothing could be further from the truth.

We are defending free speech, gun rights, science, rational thought, reasoned debate, legal immigration, actual borders for our country, a press that isn't biased, and privacy rights on a daily basis from people, who have lost their minds because a game show host, is the President of the United States.

Donald Trump is taking the brunt of the lunatics, so in turn we speak up for him, or anyone, that draws the ire of the fringe left, or even establishment left now. This case is an obvious attempt to get a portion, or all of his tax returns released.
I literally laughed at loud at this

10/10

Last edited:

Hotspurr

Jan 27, 2018
I literally laughed at loud at this

10/10
People white knighting for Trump is basically why I come to the politics section. Anytime you see any criticism there is a line of sworn defenders screaming "orange man good!!" at the top of their lungs. It's both pathetic and amusing. Kind of reminds me how some men will become self proclaimed feminists and run around defending women's rights by uttering nonesense like the gender gap, or the idiots that scream that gender is a social construct when dealing with all sorts of trans related social issues.

I wish the gaming section was this exciting. :(

CatLady

Jun 12, 2018
Dude, it's a matter of privacy. I don't want people knowing what my tax returns are. Don't pull that fucking "oh, if you don't have anything to hide then what's the big deal?" bull shit. That's how we let the fucking cunts in office pass the Patriot Act so they can spy on American's and shit, that same fucking mentality.
Point taken. I hate when people say "if you don't have anything to hide, you shouldn't mind". I should never have used that same tired excuse for privacy invasion. So let me rephrase. Due to Trump's previous background as a business owner and also based on his personality I suspect he probably has stuff he doesn't want made public. Unless it rises to actual (as in not made up Dem definitions) criminal acts do I care? Not a damn bit.

And on thinking a little deeper on the matter, when I consider the batshit Democrats these days make absolutely anything out to be high crimes that should immediately allow them to remove him from his duly elected office, I can see that as a rational reason to not want to give those drooling lunatics more fodder for their insanity.

Reactions: LMJ

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
People white knighting for Trump is basically why I come to the politics section. Anytime you see any criticism there is a line of sworn defenders screaming "orange man good!!" at the top of their lungs. It's both pathetic and amusing. Kind of reminds me how some men will become self proclaimed feminists and run around defending women's rights by uttering nonesense like the gender gap, or the idiots that scream that gender is a social construct when dealing with all sorts of trans related social issues.

I wish the gaming section was this exciting. :(
This is amazing. It's as if I explained myself, and my post, and neither read it.

I'm starting to figure out why some people are such ardent ideologues.

Lamel

Nov 2, 2009
I think some people have a tendency to believe that the other, larger, more moderate Democrats (such as myself)or moderate Republicans on this board are defending Trump when nothing could be further from the truth.

Once again, there is no law that states anyone, or even the President of the United States has to release his tax returns. If this is something that needs to be changed, then there are proper channels in doing so.

Good luck.
Gamers rise up.

12Goblins

Mar 1, 2017
It has nothing to do with privacy. It has to be with the American people deserving to know where their President's financial interests are aligned.

But I agree with Schattenjäger Schattenjäger that Trump wouldn't have run if his returns had something significantly damning

Patriots7

Jul 15, 2008
I can't wait until we finally get his tax returns.

So he's not as rich as he's led us to believe. Who cares?

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
It has nothing to do with privacy. It has to be with the American people deserving to know where their President's financial interests are aligned.

But I agree with Schattenjäger Schattenjäger that Trump wouldn't have run if his returns had something significantly damning
This crap is laughable. Your party is literally trying to cover up potential corruption regarding Biden and his family as we speak, but you want to talk about where the presidents financial interests are?

No one buys this bullshit that you guys care about decency or transparency. I guarantee the next time a dem wins office, we will never hear this nonsense again. 🙄

Reactions: Oner

Kittehkraken

Jan 14, 2017
I still remember when Rachel Maddow got hold of one of his tax returns. The backfire on live television was legendary.

Reactions: Solomeena

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
This crap is laughable. Your party is literally trying to cover up potential corruption regarding Biden and his family as we speak, but you want to talk about where the presidents financial interests are?

No one buys this bullshit that you guys care about decency or transparency. I guarantee the next time a dem wins office, we will never hear this nonsense again. 🙄
So the potential corruption surrounding Biden matters, but the potential corruption surrounding Trump does not?

How interesting....🤔

Patriots7

Jul 15, 2008

Can you honestly stop regurgitating disproven statements as fact?

But, as someone with no dog in this fight, fine. Let me entertain you. Biden...AND Trump could be corrupt. If that's the case, neither should be president. Warren is likely going to be the Democratic nominee, so I doubt the Democratic party needs to hide Biden's corruption.

Reactions: Nobody_Important
Dec 15, 2011
So the potential corruption surrounding Biden matters, but the potential corruption surrounding Trump does not?

How interesting....🤔
So, you evade the obvious point being made and refuse to engage, but deflect things back to the person that challenged you as if that somehow address the point rather than evading it.

How typical.... :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Can you honestly stop regurgitating disproven statements as fact?
Gee, imagine if people took evidence-free smears and hearsay as fact all the time, simply because it aligned with their predetermined view.
It sounds like you'd have a problem with sort of behaviour.

Would you, by any chance, be interested in buying a bridge?

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Oner

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
I just don't understand why seeing his tax returns is such a big deal. You all have turned into a bunch of birthers, just instead of the birth certificate, you are fixated on tax returns and Russia Ukraine.

12Goblins

Mar 1, 2017

My guy, some important reading for you

But you're right, the left would not care about the divulging of their own candidates tax returns. But the centrists would. Virtue always lies in the mean between two extremes.

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
In a perfect world, Democrats would use this to push for the abolishment of the IRS for not doing a thorough job, since Trump can somehow survive audit after audit with them, but they can't bring up anything damning to put him in prison or levvy heavy fines, much less keep him from being the President.

This short circuits NPC's with TDS into making angry mouth noises.

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
The Pentagon
i don't think any centrists give a fuck what's in trump's wallet

they just wanna take home more money every week and not have the economy tank on them

Reactions: KINGMOKU

crowbrow

Feb 28, 2019
In what mind it fits that a president is not liable to criminal proceedings? Lmao! Trump seems to live in his own little ego-filled weird world sometimes...

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018
This is amazing. It's as if I explained myself, and my post, and neither read it.

I'm starting to figure out why some people are such ardent ideologues.
You explained yourself well; it's incredibly hard to get through to someone whose religious ideology is at odds with your position.

Oct 26, 2018
Who knew wanting to know what people's tax returns were so interesting. For sake of interest, you'd think everyone would we begging to see Warren Buffet's and Bill Gate's taxes for the past 30 years. Never heard one person ask.

So much for privacy.

When was the last time any of you traded tax forms with friends, family, coworkers and randoms online?

Last edited:

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
People white knighting for Trump is basically why I come to the politics section. Anytime you see any criticism there is a line of sworn defenders screaming "orange man good!!" at the top of their lungs. It's both pathetic and amusing.
The reason you see it this way is simply because of the way the issues are framed. For example, "Donald Trump considers pulling out of Syria" turns into "Trump is Putin's puppet." The former lays the groundwork for a civil discussion, the latter for a battle royale with flamethrowers as the weapon of choice.

There's a lot to criticize about Trump and his presidency, but I seldom get the chance to do it because I'm pointing out why Dem/media attack #39,471 isn't the hysteria-inducing event it's made out to be.