• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(New York Times) -- "A Year Later, the Same Scene: Long Lines for the Elusive Wii"

Anth

The Gamecube Overproduction disaster is probably to blame. If they wouldn't have made such bad experiences in the past, they probably would have been more bullish and increased production more quickly.

Nevertheless, I think it's not that much of a problem. A mistake yes, but not a critical error, certainly no disaster. People who buy a DSLite instead of a Wii still buy Nintendo products, and people who opt for a 360 or PS3 will probably still buy a Wii next year or so. It's a loss, but nothing they need to particularily care about. They probably don't know what to do with all their money anyway. (Buy EA?)

On the positive side for Nintendo, we still have news of the Wii's rarity, so Americans will probably continue to buy them whenever they see them - for the next two years or so.

donny2112

BlackGoku03 said:
The first six months should be apparent. Nintendo has sold out whatever they put out all year long. Tell me, what else should they be looking for? This is no surprise that the Wii is hot ... this season. Everyone, including Nintendo knew that half a year ago, so why was nothing done to manufacture more Wiis? What's the hold up?

FlightOfHeaven said:
Also, Nintendo should make a giant poster/banner out of JoshuaJSlone's tag + sales chart, and put it up everywhere.

"WE'VE MADE MORE CONSOLES THAN ANYONE EVER IN THEIR FIRST YEAR, AND YOU WANT US TO MAKE DOUBLE THAT?"

>_<

January: 1 million per month
Now: 1.8 million per month

Son of Godzilla said:
I do think that the shortages are artificial, or at least purposeful. One of the biggest questions people have raised about the Wii is exactly what kind of lifespan we can expect from the thing. It'll be much harder for it to fizzle out if the demand is kept high for years on end.

johnsmith said:
Anybody who is still saying they're generating artificial shortages needs to be shot for pure stupidity.

HAL_Laboratory said:
Jesus man, these people are idiots. It's not that hard to find a Wii. They make it sound like they're looking for a ghost orchid.

+5 for anyone who gets that last reference.

I'm done with fish.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
johnsmith said:
God damn it. Anybody who is still saying they're generating artificial shortages needs to be shot for pure stupidity.
Believe it or not, that's actually the new policy for alot of the retailers:

new_policy.jpg

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Gahiggidy said:
Believe it or not, that's actually the new policy for alot of the retailers:

new_policy.jpg
^^^
Not funny? :(

it still amazes me. i understand this has more to do with production issues .... but it's still pretty mind blowing how nintendo turned the tables

i mean in 2004, if you went around saying the GCN's successor would hit so big you'd be accused of trolling or stupidity.

just comes to show: you never know

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
TunaLover said:
I aprove Nintendo build a factory here in Chile, I'm not the president but it's just a detail.

I also approve that, maybe it lowers the cost of the friggin' thing (still it cost US$420... cheaper than Ebay and there are no shortages here =P)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
SRG01 said:
So obvious question now is, aside from SMG, are there also software shortages for most of the games?

People have been reporting shortages on GH III and Wii Play a lot, with M&S sometimes coming up.

Top Bottom