• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York Times - Top 52 Places in the World to Visit in 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/01/07/travel/places-to-visit.html

Full-on descriptions for each location in the article, here's the overall list:

1. Mexico City, Mexico
"A metropolis that has it all."

2. Bordeaux, France

"An ancient wine region gets a stunning update."

3. Malta
"The Mediterranean on a dime."

4. Coral Bay, St. John
"Visit the U.S. Virgin Islands’ quiet corner before big development."

5. Theodore Roosevelt National Park, North Dakota
"A century of protecting America’s magnificence."

6. Mozambique
"New island lodges and beach breaks — and more tolerance."

7. Toronto, Canada
"Canada’s largest city is ready for its close-up."

8. Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
"New museums and hotels and a greening desert."

9. Skane, Sweden
"Nordic cuisine’s next big thing."

10. Viñales, Cuba
"Looking for the real Cuba? You’ve found it."

11. Guadeloupe
"Easier access to wild beauty and a new look at a complicated legacy."

12. Park City, Utah
"Always fun, now bigger — a lot bigger."

13. Aarhus, Denmark
"Thriving Danish culture beyond well-trodden Copenhagen."

14. Cesme, Turkey
"An Aegean region grows a food scene."

15. Road of the Seven Lakes, Argentina
"A newly paved road to beautiful vistas."

16. Hangzhou, China
"State-of-the-art museums and more in an ancient city."

17. Korcula Island, Croatia
"Experience authentic life on the Dalmatian Coast."

18. San Sebastián, Spain
"A culinary capital expands its repertoire."

19. Virunga National Park, Democratic Republic of Congo
"Newly accessible, gorillas and a volcano in idyllic surroundings."

20. Grand Rapids, Michigan
"A furniture-making city champions urban renewal and art."

21. Garzón, Uruguay
"A new wine region blooms near celebrated beaches."

22. Dublin, Ireland
"A city spruces up to celebrate a centenary."

23. Todos Santos, Mexico
"A Pacific Coast retreat hosts a new green community."

24. Tamil Nadu, India
"New gateways to India’s cultural core."

25. Vaud, Switzerland
"The Lake Geneva region attracts new and renewed museums."

26. Washington D.C.
"Developments raise the bar downtown."

27. Brno, Czech Republic
"Unexpected cuisine and nightlife in an architectural mecca."

28. Saint Helena
"An isolated wonderland opens to air travel."

29. Barcelona, Spain
"Celebrating a beloved architect all year."

30. Dalat, Vietnam
"A cool alternative to the usual steamy Vietnamese destination."

31. Turin, Italy
"Renewal in a former industrial capital."

32. Isla Holbox, Mexico
"In Yucatán, an ecotourism gem emerges."

33. Providence, Rhode Island
"The East Coast’s answer to Portland, Ore.?"

34. Mosel wine country, Germany
"Biodiversity, new hiking trails and a castle stay."

35. Pyeongchang, South Korea
"Ski South Korea before the Olympians get there."

36. Tyrol, Austria
"Bond, Swarovski crystal, new ski lifts and hotels."

37. Colmar, France
"A revival fueled by modern art and architecture."

38. Kansai, Japan
"An ancient region with new resorts and G7 ahead."

39. East Bay, California
"Urban wineries and a soon-to-be-transformed waterfront."

40. Île de Ré, France
"Who needs the French Riviera?"

41. East Coast, Sri Lanka
"Remote stillness — and world-class diving — beckon."

42. Rosine, Kentucky

"Make a pilgrimage to the birthplace of bluegrass."

43. Málaga, Spain
"Beauty, but now a cultural capital, too."

44. Guizhou, China
"Authentic Chinese hill tribes without mass tourism — yet."

45. Phnom Penh, Cambodia
"A design renaissance in Cambodia’s capital."

46. St. Louis, Missouri
"A blues tribute near a more accessible arch."

47. Thessaloniki, Greece
"Greece’s second-largest city is first in food."

48. Marfa, Texas
"An offbeat cultural hub with a new hotel to shelter the curious."

49. Ubud, Indonesia
"A spiritual destination reinvents itself."

50. The Southern Gulf Islands, British Columbia
"Near Vancouver, islands with simpler charms."

51. Sydney, Australia
"Embracing nature in two urban reclamation projects."

52. Beaufort, South Carolina
"A peaceful Low Country town with a stylish new inn."

EDIT: Here's how the list was determined:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/10/travel/faq-52-places-to-go-in-2016.html

How do you start the process?

First we contact dozens of contributing writers, many of them based overseas, for suggestions. We receive a few hundred ideas, and start with those.

What are you looking for in those ideas?

We aim for a selection of places that we expect to be particularly compelling in the coming year; reasons might include a museum opening, a new transportation option or a historical anniversary. So even though cities like Paris, Rome and Tokyo are always exciting, they didn’t make the cut.

How do you narrow it down to the final list?

We discuss the merits and drawbacks of each suggested destination in a marathon-length meeting (or two) before cutting down the list. Our main goal is to have a variety of regions and interests, with some surprises mixed in. We also try for a mix of scale, including cities, regions and even entire countries.

What made Mexico City the top choice?

The No. 1 has to hit a sort of sweet spot: a major destination that is a particularly strong choice to visit this year. We think Mexico City is just that. From restaurants to museums to shopping, it has it all — and there’s nowhere in the world quite like it. It’s also a famously sprawling metropolis, but need not be intimidating — neighborhoods like La Roma and San Ángel are like little cities unto themselves. (It is also easier to get to, with more flights from more United States airports than ever before.) From Milan (2015) to Cape Town (2014) to Rio (2013), the places that land at No. 1 are chosen because at this moment there is a defining reason to go.

Washington D.C. should be visited near the end of this year of preferably next year as it is undergoing major maintenance now

Dabanton

Malta is fantastic been their twice stayed at a 5 star hotel overlooking the bay. Superb seafood.

Great weather and everyone speaks english.

Ekdrm2d1

www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/01/07/travel/places-to-visit.html

48. Marfa, Texas
"An offbeat cultural hub with a new hotel to shelter the curious."

Hmmm?

Guess the high end retail with Prada is cool..
Blog2.jpg

Cookie18

Mexico City as number one? The number one city to visit this year also frequently holds the top spots for most dangerous city in the world? Something doesn't seem right about that.

Calabria

Banned
It's really beautiful here, but then again, it kinda is in the most generic way possible.

I find Vancouver beauty unique. I just moved from Toronto, still amazed how gorgeous the view here

sure it's not Venice or Vienna, but then again how many cities almost encircled by water and have beautiful mountains backdrop, not many, maybe Hong Kong, Rio, Cape Town

KorrZ

Going to Toronto in March woo! Visiting one of the top 10 places in the world!

It's 3 hours away from me and I go often. Lol.

Is there a thing with these lists that they don't repeat cities over years or something? Because Mexico City is by no means the number one city to visit. And I mean I'm sure It'd be a better time to go to places like Tokyo, Hong Kong, or Amsterdam etc before I go to Providence, Rhode Island.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The east bay of California? Uhhhhhhh have fun in Antioch.

I think they mainly mean the Oakland/Berkeley/Alameda part, not so much further inland.

Also like 1/5 of Japan. Is there any significance to the order, or did they just list it randomly?

I should add this to the OP, but here's how they made the list:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/10/travel/faq-52-places-to-go-in-2016.html

How do you start the process?

First we contact dozens of contributing writers, many of them based overseas, for suggestions. We receive a few hundred ideas, and start with those.

What are you looking for in those ideas?

We aim for a selection of places that we expect to be particularly compelling in the coming year; reasons might include a museum opening, a new transportation option or a historical anniversary. So even though cities like Paris, Rome and Tokyo are always exciting, they didn’t make the cut.

How do you narrow it down to the final list?

We discuss the merits and drawbacks of each suggested destination in a marathon-length meeting (or two) before cutting down the list. Our main goal is to have a variety of regions and interests, with some surprises mixed in. We also try for a mix of scale, including cities, regions and even entire countries.

What made Mexico City the top choice?

The No. 1 has to hit a sort of sweet spot: a major destination that is a particularly strong choice to visit this year. We think Mexico City is just that. From restaurants to museums to shopping, it has it all — and there’s nowhere in the world quite like it. It’s also a famously sprawling metropolis, but need not be intimidating — neighborhoods like La Roma and San Ángel are like little cities unto themselves. (It is also easier to get to, with more flights from more United States airports than ever before.) From Milan (2015) to Cape Town (2014) to Rio (2013), the places that land at No. 1 are chosen because at this moment there is a defining reason to go.

cameron

Toronto is remaking itself as Canada’s premier city, quietly slipping out of the shadow of Montreal and Vancouver. Last year, the Queens Quay on Lake Ontario reopened, part of the largest continuing urban revitalization project in North America. It now has bike and pedestrian paths and new streetcars that link green spaces and promenades that will be full of public art. The Junction, a former industrial area, has emerged as Toronto’s most stylish neighborhood for its bars, live music and coffee shops. And the city is becoming easier to visit: a train now whisks travelers downtown from the airport in 25 minutes, and Air Canada offers extended stopovers for connecting passengers. Toronto has long been known for its cultural diversity and continues to draw major artistic and sporting events, including the Toronto International Film Festival each September, and the 2016 N.B.A. All-Star game, held outside the United States for the first time.

Mediocre. That description wouldn't convince me to visit, but my opinion might be coloured a bit since I live in Toronto.

MilkBeard

I find Vancouver beauty unique. I just moved from Toronto, still amazed how gorgeous the view here

sure it's not Venice or Vienna, but then again how many cities almost encircled by water and have beautiful mountains backdrop, not many, maybe Hong Kong, Rio, Cape Town

Not to mention Seattle is only a few hours away. Vancouver/Seattle would be a good destination on any trip through the US and Canada.

Violet_0

Banned
from that list I've been to: 3. Malta, 26. Washington D.C., 27. Brno, Czech Republic, 29. Barcelona, Spain, 30. Dalat, Vietnam, 31. Turin, Italy, 34. Mosel wine country, Germany, 36. Tyrol, Austria, 45. Phnom Penh, Cambodia
I need to travel more

honestly, some of these places are quite random - Brno, Dalat, Phnom Penh really?

Paz

Based on Sydney's inclusion as the top place to visit in Australia I can firmly say this is a garbage list not worth your time.

Also having been to both a bunch of times I think anywhere in Mainland China being so far above anywhere in Japan is kinda crazy, China has tons of interesting places but it's a lot harder to enjoy a visit there than anywhere in Japan.

Personally, I get so much more out of different nature landscapes that most of the list sounds meh.
Also, there can be ten museum openings in city x they listed but you should still prioritize a visit e.g in Prague and not anywhere else if you're in that region for the first time.
Oh and I think some of the listed regions are too big/unspecific.

I've been to 47 out of the 52.
Weird list, but whatever, anything that get people travel more is good.

that is impressive Oo, especially considering the random nature of this list.

Chichikov

that is impressive Oo, especially considering the random nature of this list.
I'm old and I lived in 3 different continents.
I'm also lucky enough to have a job that allows me to have free income and free time to travel.

Also, it's a random list, no doubt, but most of the places there are ones you'd have a good chance to have visited if you were traveling that country/region.

p.s.
But really, I feel weird to be complimented for that one time I drove through Grand Rapids, MI...

Kind of weird. Do you really need to visit 3 different places in mexico? Beaufort, South Carolina? I feel like you could think of a more diverse list.

Tevious

I've been to Mexico City a few years back. I had a great time at Teotihuacan, which is close by. It was a much better experience than Cairo and the Giza plateau.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom