• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Yoshi title announced for Wii U! (Looks like Yoshi: Epic Yarn)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
tumblr_m3amdfRmXh1rnhtkzo1_r1_500.gif

Yoshi's story is charming!

It's also far more difficult than people give it credit for if you're trying for All Melon runs. People just blow through the game, eating anything in their path and call it a cakewalk. Bah.

Busaiku

Though I love the yarn style, I feel as though it should've stuck with Kirby, and Yoshi should've done something else.
It just looks too similar now.

I really hope it's more difficult than Kirby's Epic Yarn.

I've never been more let down by the difficulty in a game than I was with Epic Yarn. It was almost literally impossible to die.

If this Yoshi title follows in that same vein I don't know if I'll be able to push through it.

if you tried to get to the end with enough gems though, it was kinda hard...

nintendo games are hard to 100%, easy as hell to walk through.

Though I love the yarn style, I feel as though it should've stuck with Kirby, and Yoshi should've done something else.
It just looks too similar now.

yoshi and 2D mario deserve a hand drawn game, at this point.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Looks really good, hopefully will have local multiplayer and touch controls (at least for the multiplayer mode)

tumblr_m3amdfRmXh1rnhtkzo1_r1_500.gif

Yoshi's story is charming!

Charming? Absolutely.

Fun to play? Not at all.

Is anyone else slightly bummed they're using the same exact style as Kirby's Epic Yarn?

I loved that style, but I would've like something fresh...

I would've taken a new spin on Yoshi's Island SNES TBH.

27078-super-mario-world-2-yoshi-s-island-snes-screenshot-beautiful.jpg

A remade art style of that could've looked jaw dropping.

Yes, I was bummed. I think they could take the visuals of Yoshi's Island and blow people's minds with the Wii U hardware. Doesn't look like Nintendo is interested in doing that though. :(

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Looks really nice. Wonder if the music will be as good as Kirby's Epic Yarn too.

I cant wait for more Yoshi harmonizing.

And I dont know why people assume this will be easy, all Kirby games are easy so it makes sense that Kirby Epic Yarn was simple.

Looks beautiful, absolutely stunning in the screenshots. Here's to hoping those are what we should come to expect the final product to look like, as opposed to the video which looks like a mild improvement over Epic Yarn. I have hope, I'm so happy they're going with this art style as opposed to reusing the look of Yoshi's Island and rehashing bosses and levels from that.

Subtle

I don't understand the hubbub over Yoshi's Island artstyle. What's the difference between this:

and this:

nsmbu10.png

The crystalline rocks looks similar and they're both in caves. The only difference is the mushroom structures and the enemies. Nothing looks amazing about either game. Yoshi's Story's artstyle on the other hand HNNNNG.

LeleSocho

Banned
I let out an audible sigh when I saw that Yoshi was 2D and made of yarn, but these other screenshots with 3D Yoshi are giving me hope! More stuff like this please, but in 3D:

Yoshi's%20Story%20(U)%20(M2).png

600full-yoshi's-story-screenshot.jpg

Please, no Yoshi's Epic Yarn!

And stop hating on Yoshi's Story you old farts!

YES! give me this with YI gameplay

Croc

Banned
I was disappointed at first to see just the Kirby EY style used again, but after seeing these other screenshots I'm definitely looking forward to this. Hopefully they use this to experiment with a lot of stuff since it seems like that's what they're doing with the art style.

KarmaCow

Yoshi's Island wasn't the most difficult game but the combination of Yoshi Story and the team behind Epic Yarn makes me very apprehensive.

Hmm, I didn't notice until this gif that Yoshi got upgraded after eating that Shyguy. I definitely seems like that level is based directly on Kirby's Epic Yarn, it even has the jewels, but it's hard to tell if the entire game is supposed to be set in that world.

Seda

http://eon.businesswire.com/news/eon/20130123005932/en/Zelda-Games-Mario-Mario-Kart-Fan-Favorite-Franchises

Yarn Yoshi: The team that created Kirby’s Epic Yarn is hard at work on the first console game to feature Yoshi as the main character since 1998’s Yoshi’s Story for Nintendo 64. Takashi Tezuka, director of Yoshi’s Island and Yoshi’s Story, is supervising the development of the new game, which is set in a fanciful world of yarn and textiles.

I guess we can call is Yarn Yoshi for now.

Mlatador

Banned
Is anyone else slightly bummed they're using the same exact style as Kirby's Epic Yarn?

I loved that style, but I would've like something fresh...

I would've taken a new spin on Yoshi's Island SNES TBH.

A remade art style of that could've looked jaw dropping.

To be honest, I am. The art-style of Yoshi's Island looks so much richer and lovelier, it's really a pitty they didn't go back to that and brought it to next-gen.

I wish they did to the new Yoshi platformer what Ubisoft did with Rayman Origins/Legends - make it bigger, better, more awesome than never before.

"Yoshi's Epic Yarn" graphic style - while nice - is just not bigger, better, or more awesome than the incredible, handdrawn 2D environments in Super Mario Land 2: Yoshi's Island.

I'm hoping this is out by mid-2014 at the latest, but I'd happily wait for an awesome Yoshi game. I don't even have a Wii U yet so I'm in no rush, but hopefully by the time I can afford it I will be able to play Pikmin 3, Yoshi and maybe even the next 3D Mario.

It's weird as when Kirby was unveiled, we all said it should've been a Yoshi game.

Now we got just that... and it's a let down because aside from the new 2.5D perspective, it's really Kirby's Epic Yarn in Yoshi's skin, it would've been super original had we not gotten Kirby.

And to me, it was a minor waste for Kirby since we got a real HAL Kirby a year later, who knows if we'll get another EAD Yoshi game ever again.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I really hope Epic Yarn becomes a franchise that visits many Nintendo franchises. My hope is they give this title more unique Yoshi quirks that separate it from Kirby's Epic Yarna bit.

I was always hoping it would happen with Paper Mario becoming Paper Metroid, Paper Zelda, etc.. but this is pretty great as well. Speaking of that, Metroid Epic Yarn would be pretty cool. Grappling beam with yarn, shooting out rockets that explode into yarn. Yesss.

galvatron

truth bomb: Epic Yarn is the best Kirby game

Kirby's Pinball land or Kirby's Adventure for me.

Epic Yarn didn't do anything for me. Are the early stages especially weak compared to later ones? It is the last platformer that I bought and got quickly bored with that I can remember.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Kirby's Pinball land or Kirby's Adventure for me.

Epic Yarn didn't do anything for me. Are the early stages especially weak compared to later ones? It is the last platformer that I bought and got quickly bored with that I can remember.

Try playing it again. It took me, three, or four tries before I really got into it because the beginning is so slow. Trying to get max star pieces in the later levels is definitely a challenge and the stages / music are amazing by the end.

It's just one of those games that's way too easy if you just run through it, but one that can be a challenge if you're trying to collect everything.

Tratorn

Bleh, was my biggest disappointment from the ND. This style is just terrible, hopefully it at least won't be such a boring game like Kirby's Epic Yarn.

orioto

Good Art™
Hmm, I didn't notice until this gif that Yoshi got upgraded after eating that Shyguy. I definitely seems like that level is based directly on Kirby's Epic Yarn, it even has the jewels, but it's hard to tell if the entire game is supposed to be set in that world.

Yeah would Nintendo just show us pre concept video to announce a game now ? Are they that late in dev ?

This is pretty cool considering I finally got around to playing my VC version of Yoshi Story for the first time yesterday.

The game is a lot more fun and charming than I remember it being. I think I blasted through it eating everything in my path as a kid though.

I'm pretty disappointed by the reuse of the Epic Yarn style but hopefully the game is well designed.

I don't know why, but the jewels were the things that concerned me the most of what was shown. I really don't want Epic Yarn pt. 2.

Top Bottom