• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Yoshi title announced for Wii U! (Looks like Yoshi: Epic Yarn)

Oneself

As much as I like Epic Yarn's art style (and music), I believe it's been highly overrated.
It was easy, slow and kinda boring... and quite far from the standard Kirby platformers.
This game looks like some copy-paste of Epic Yarn with a sackboy Yoshi... and it looks quite disappointing to me.

Man, I know Yoshi's Story disappointed a lot of people, but come on guys, Yoshi has been in a felt and crafts style game before

As much as I like Epic Yarn's art style (and music), I believe it's been highly overrated.
It was easy, slow and kinda boring... and quite far from the standard Kirby platformers.
This game looks like some copy-paste of Epic Yarn with a sackboy Yoshi... and it looks quite disappointing to me.
I could go for one more with yoshi, but hopefully they will change it up a bit or something.

eXistor

Day one of course, but I can't shake the feeling like this is gonna be another "baby's first platformer" like Epic Yarn turned out to be. As lovely and creative as that game was, a literal lack of challenge made it pretty boring for the most part.

Akainu

tumblr_m3amdfRmXh1rnhtkzo1_r1_500.gif

Yoshi's story is charming!
If by charming you mean crap then yes.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
This is Nintendo's attempt at creating a new game series.

I for one, would kill for a Metroid Epic Yarn.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
This is Nintendo's attempt at creating a new game series.

I for one, would kill for a Metroid Epic Yarn.

At this point it's certainly the closest we're likely to get to another classic Metroid game. :(

The Boat

I think Yoshi (and the levels) progress from epic yarn style to the 3D look. This is especially obvious when Yoshi swallows the power up that turns him from yarn strings to plushie.
I would've prefered a hand drawn style, but this looks fantastic as well.

deleted

so wait

jEU1lASiuSwGf.png

Why are they showing epic yard style gameplay and mock up in a different style.. I'm confused...

I just hope it's not a sign of Nintendo rehashing assets in every games now.

I think the world is evolving around Yoshi. In the video snipped we see, he is eating an enemy and getting into his full yarn form. I think that's the first level with visuals we know and then we will somehow get dropped into the more gorgeous screens.

Edit: Yeah, what The Boat said.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think Yoshi (and the levels) progress from epic yarn style to the 3D look. This is especially obvious when Yoshi swallows the power up that turns him from yarn strings to plushie.
I would've prefered a hand drawn style, but this looks fantastic as well.

Yeah, I'm somewhat disappointed that this isn't essentially the Wii U's Yoshi's Island.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
At this point it's certainly the closest we're likely to get to another classic Metroid game. :(

Or they could even take it a step further, license out the graphics engine to 3rd parties, because we probably have a better chance at getting Megaman Epic Yarn before we ever get another Megaman game.

Hell, Call of Duty Epic Yarn, Resident Evil Epic Yarn, Kingdom Hearts Epic Yarn... I'm gonna stop now because I know damn well if I talk about this joke long enough, some game dev will probably do it. (If you're a game dev, an "epic yarn' graphics filter would be great though!)

I really want to be excited by this but I'm not.

Game does look beautiful, but it won't matter if they don't even make it challenging.

That was the problem Kirby had, which ended up boring to playthrough.

I'm kind of confused why everyone thinks that the Yoshi game will have the same gameplay as a Kirby game, which is literally a series made for children with an easy button.

Oh my gosh, yes. I absolutely adored Kirby's Epic Yarn and seeing a brand new Yoshi game in that style fucking floored me. Day 1, absolutely.

Resilient

Hng, so the Miiverse Master list was true..excellent. I don't see this game being particularly challenging, but here's hoping.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Massively disappointed in this. A total retread with that visual style (out of ideas already?) and once again a babby game coming far below the almighty Yoshi's Island.

I will just have to dream of a full budget 3d Yoshi game I guess.

Seriously, we'll never get an epic masterpiece like YI. Instead Yoshi gets all the crumbs.

Yoshi's Island was one of the best games ever made, why oh WHY hasn't Nintendo revisited that world? I can't imagine what that would look like today. It would be amazing.

Ugh.

Zeldana

Neo Member
I adored Epic Yarn so I'm really looking forward to this. The original was all about exploration and savoring the moment (hoarding, too, I guess), and if the soundtrack reflects Epic Yarn's in any way it'll be a Day 1 purchase with no regrets.

Perhaps Nintendo intends for us to save our tough-as-nails platforming expectations for the new 3D Mario.

Ein Bear

Not really feeling the art style. It worked great for Kirby, but it's a travesty that they aren't revisiting the Yoshi's Island look.

Top Bottom