• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Yoshinori Kitase interview: talks about FFVII, Nomura, Sakaguchi, DQ>FF

Red Scarlet

Most of the stuff you complained about is not and/or has almost never been what DQ was about. So comparing them on those merits does the series a disservice. But your flat-out DQ requires no strategy comment pretty much nullifies your opinion anyway, since that's flat-out wrong.

To answer your now-spoiler tagged new question,
no, the mouse is the hero's grandpa. If by legendary hero you mean one of the 7 sages, no, there is no relation.

When you throw out stupid generalizations like he did, mefist, yes he is wrong.

Haunted

Red Scarlet said:
So basically you don't understand Dragon Quest at all.

And for your spoiler question
you find out who the mouse is in the post-game content after beating the game.

duckrowlned.jpg
:lol

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Q: How’s the relationship between you and Nomura today? It’s been said that you’ve become rivals and would rather not work together anymore. And the fact that you’re producing a FFXIII game each of your own isn’t exactly a way of killing off the rumors.

Kitase: Haha, no… hmm, how am I going to explain this? Let me begin by pointing out that Nomura is designing characters both for FFXIII and FFvXIII and that it’s absolutely not a matter of us not being able to work together. But ok, there are differences between us, what we want to accomplish and how we create games. It’s not a hostile rivalry, but we don’t share the exact same goal...

:eek:

:O

whatcancelled.jpg

Pojo

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
well, ff has surpassed DQ since then
Absolute nonsense. DQ follows a formula, one that appeals to a limited audience outside of Japan (myself included, though I only played VIII and the spinoffs, which were somewhat modern). FF reinvents the wheel every time.

all we need now is for Amir0x to come in and piss on Kitase even more and this thread will be complete.... -_-

...thanks anyway, Ceb. Awesome read. I just wish we could have found out more on FFXIII's development. :(

Red Scarlet

Well, I sure screwed up that post, sorry Tideas.

Saying "But a battle system with no strategy needed" is a stupid generalization, and incorrect, and usually just being a troll.

You'd find out the answer to your question IF you do the post-game material. But you may have to develop a strategy to get all the way through it. Do you dare?

sennin

Tideas said:
so the mouse was one of the legendary heroes? Or the father of the legendary hero?

Youtube links to huge spoilers regarding the origins of DQ8's Heroboy:

Part 1: youtube.com/watch?v=Off2t_HoJE4

Part II: youtube.com/watch?v=YYLQH20Yf_Y

Cheerilee

Q: What’s his opinion on the FFVII projects that you’ve produced after he left Square Enix?

Kitase: Oh, I really don’t know. I’m sure that we send all FF games to him, but he’s never told me when he does with them or what he thinks about them. On the other hand, I’m not sure if I’ve ever told him when I thought about FF before I started working at Square. It was honestly speaking really only a worse copy of what Enix was doing at the time. Dragon Quest was much better!
Hmm... so Kitase is sure that someone at Square Enix is sending Sakaguchi free copies of FF games, but can't say for certain because it's not him. And he doesn't know if Sakaguchi wipes his ass with those games, because the subject has never come up. But he's never told Sakaguchi what he thought of the early FF games (which would be 1-4 and maybe 5), which he now clarifies was that he thought they were weak clones of Dragon Quest 1-5.

I can't wait for Sakaguchi's response. I hope it's made public.

And does this implicitly mean that Kitase has already told Sakaguchi what he thinks of his post-FF (Mistwalker) games? And that what he said about them still wasn't enough to get a rise out of him and get him to say what he really thinks of Kitase's games, so he kicked it up a notch?

Nolan.

I remember Sakaguchi saying he thought FFXII was crap moreorless then again kitase didn't direct that. Though he did say he doesn't know what sakaguchi thinks to the series now. Though I think that must have come up a couple times.

Sakaguchi has even given the impression that he talks to them about their own tools even so someone must talk a lot with sakaguchi if it ain't Kitase.

Omg it's Nomura the spy!.

duckroll

Nolan. said:
I remember Sakaguchi saying he thought FFXII was crap moreorless then again kitase didn't direct that. Though he did say he doesn't know what sakaguchi thinks to the series now. Though I think that must have come up a couple times.

You remember wrong. FFXII was the last game Sakaguchi was executive producer of (at least until he was kicked ouf of S-E), and he is very good friends with Matsuno.

Lightning

Banned
As much as I REALLY like Kitase (And I really do) I like Nomura's games and ideas more. :lol

But if Nomura and Kitase try and compete against one another to see who releases the better FFXIII game then the overall winner is S-E, Sony and PS3 fans with them delivering more top quality work.

And FF is better than DQ. No DQ game can come close to topping the brilliance of FFVII.

It's good to hear that Kitase and Sakaguchi still have somewhat of a relationship. Perhaps they make work together again in the future.

duckroll

disappeared said:
It's good to hear that Kitase and Sakaguchi still have somewhat of a relationship. Perhaps they make work together again in the future.

I'm surprised the interviewer didn't ask Kitase what he thought of Sakaguchi's new games. I wonder if Sakaguchi sends Kitase a copy of every Mistwalker game, not knowing what he does with them. :)

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Lightning said:
And FF is better than DQ. No DQ game can come close to topping the brilliance of FFVII.
For the record, have you played a DQ game beyond the "This isn't as good as FF7" thought popping into your head?

Kyoufu

duckroll said:
I'm surprised the interviewer didn't ask Kitase what he thought of Sakaguchi's new games. I wonder if Sakaguchi sends Kitase a copy of every Mistwalker game, not knowing what he does with them. :)

Hopefully burns them.

Ledsen

RevenantKioku said:
For the record, have you played a DQ game beyond the "This isn't as good as FF7" thought popping into your head?

You don't really have to play through an entire DQ game to know that the series isn't for you. It's a radically different formula than FF, and some people just don't like their RPGs that way.

Yoboman

Red Scarlet said:
So basically you don't understand Dragon Quest at all.

And for your spoiler question
you find out who the mouse is in the post-game content after beating the game.

duckrowlned.jpg
How fitting that Duckroll's wheels are flat. Just like his posts :)

Kinan

Interesting to hear that FF versus 13 was planned as PS3 game from the very start. This way when they decided to move FF13 to PS3, they already had some basis to start with, I guess.

SomeDude

Banned
Just wondering, is Final Fantasy XIII more Kitase or more Toriyama? When Nomura talked about Lightning he said that Toriyama requested him to make a female version of Cloud Striife. I notice that Kitase stopped "directing" after FFVIII. Wasn't FFX directed by 3 different directors? That game is my facorite FF.

I really hope that Kitase directs FFVII remake if they end up doing that.

Ceb

SomeDude said:
Wasn't FFX directed by 3 different directors? That game is my facorite FF.

You could say Toriyama was the "main" director there. Nakazato was in charge of the field maps and Tsuchida created the battle system.

duckroll

Ceb said:
You could say Toriyama was the "main" director there. Nakazato was in charge of the field maps and Tsuchida created the battle system.

Toriyama is the event director, much like Kitase was, so yeah from FFX on Toriyama pretty much took over Kitase's role as the guy behind the vision of the story and event direction.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Ledsen said:
You don't really have to play through an entire DQ game to know that the series isn't for you. It's a radically different formula than FF, and some people just don't like their RPGs that way.
Ah, but that's not really what he's saying. :D

SomeDude

Banned
A bit off topic but should be thanking Kitase more for Chrono Trigger than Horii or Sakaguchi? The game feels very familar to FF6 in terms of pacing and directing. Also there are a few scenes in that game are very much like FF6.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Nice interview, but after reading the replies in this thread I lost the will to talk about it. :(

Nolan.

duckroll said:
You remember wrong. FFXII was the last game Sakaguchi was executive producer of (at least until he was kicked ouf of S-E), and he is very good friends with Matsuno.

He didn't say anything bad about Matsuno infact the contrary. I'm talking about the interview where he said something like "I just played the beginning. You really can't expect much from the game when Yasumi Matsuno, a crucial member of the team, leaves in the middle of development."

One of the most insightful things I've ever read about Square. Wish more interviews were like this, though I do agree that they should have pushed for more FFXIII info. :D

Haunted

Lightning said:
FFVII isn't even the best FF game.

Alaluef said:
Nice interview, but after reading the replies in this thread I lost the will to talk about it. :(
:lol that happens to me so often. All ready to type up a reply reading the OP, but after scrolling down to the bottom, it's all 'meh, fuck this'.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
From what I've tried of FF (mostly IV, VI->XII) and DQ (VII and VIII), I'd say both DQ games are better than some FF games (IV, VI, VIII, X->XII) and worse than others (FFVII and IX). But they're also vastly different in style and what they're trying to achieve, so it's really hard to compare. Heck, FFXII is hard to compare to games even within the same series.

zoku88

Red Scarlet said:
Most of the stuff you complained about is not and/or has almost never been what DQ was about. So comparing them on those merits does the series a disservice. But your flat-out DQ requires no strategy comment pretty much nullifies your opinion anyway, since that's flat-out wrong.

To answer your now-spoiler tagged new question,
no, the mouse is the hero's grandpa. If by legendary hero you mean one of the 7 sages, no, there is no relation.

When you throw out stupid generalizations like he did, mefist, yes he is wrong.
Wait, what the hell?

This is DQ8, right?

I don't remember ANYTHING about the hero having a grandfather or any character development on the mouse. Uhm, did I miss a sidequest

zoukka

zoku88 said:
Wait, what the hell?

This is DQ8, right?

I don't remember ANYTHING about the hero having a grandfather or any character development on the mouse. Uhm, did I miss a sidequest

Yes you did. The thing is revealed at the bonus dungeon.

duckroll

Nolan. said:
He didn't say anything bad about Matsuno infact the contrary. I'm talking about the interview where he said something like "I just played the beginning. You really can't expect much from the game when Yasumi Matsuno, a crucial member of the team, leaves in the middle of development."

Oh yeah, I remember that. But hey he didn't say it was bad, he just sounded really disappointed that Matsuno didn't get to see the game all the way through!

SomeDude

Banned
Razor554 said:
Yes it is, fairly easily even.

To be honest I prefer Toriyama's take on FF over Kitase's. I prefer FFX by a large margin actually.

Can't wait for FFXIII. Which he will also be director of.

zoku88

zoukka said:
Yes you did. The thing is revealed at the bonus dungeon.
Crap. I almost never do bonus dungeons :(

I know I'd get my butt kicked. I barely beat the final boss since I was sooo underleveled. My strategy was SOOO precise

Nolan.

duckroll said:
Oh yeah, I remember that. But hey he didn't say it was bad, he just sounded really disappointed that Matsuno didn't get to see the game all the way through!

To me it just sounded like a bit of both. He obviously holds a lot of respect for matsuno and probably really wanted it to continue under his direction. Though he sounded like he gave it a chance to see how they could pull it around and wasn't pleased at all. If he was i'd expect him to say something like ''they did a good job for having to recover from matsuno having to leave''. Though he just didn't say anything nice about aspects of it that came afterwards. I think he just thought the game had wonderful premise but was horribly wasted.

duckroll

Nolan. said:
To me it just sounded like a bit of both. He obviously holds a lot of respect for matsuno and probably really wanted it to continue under his direction. Though he sounded like he gave it a chance to see how they could pull it around and wasn't pleased at all. If he was i'd expect him to say something like ''they did a good job for having to recover from matsuno having to leave''. Though he just didn't say anything nice about aspects of it that came afterwards. I think he just thought the game had wonderful premise but was horribly wasted.

At least he admitted he played FFXII. I wonder what he has to say about FFX-2 and Crisis Core. Kitase should ask him why his Mistwalker games are so butt slow in comparison. :)

Nolan.

duckroll said:
At least he admitted he played FFXII. I wonder what he has to say about FFX-2 and Crisis Core. Kitase should ask him why his Mistwalker games are so butt slow in comparison. :)

I'd personally like to know that myself.

Along with why he likes random encounters and traditional combat so much.

duckroll

Nolan. said:
I'd personally like to know that myself.

Along with why he likes random encounters and traditional combat so much.

Well, Blue Dragon has no random encounters. ASH is a strategy RPG. Away is a dungeon based action RPG. Blue Dragon Plus is a RTS. Cry On is an action rpg.

It's really just Lost Odyssey that has random encounters, and that might have more to do with the fact that it's by the Shadow Hearts team, than it has to do with Sakaguchi. The problem with all the Mistwalker games are that the games just few SLOW (the 3 out now anyway) and I really want to know how he feels about that in comparison with say FFX-2's blazing fast awesome battle system which remains turn based and "traditional".

Top Bottom