• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Yu Suzuki Interview on Shenmue (Budget preventing sequel from being made)

Jcgamer60

In a recent interview Yu Suzuki was asked to elaborate further on what's preventing a third game from being made:

Fans keep providing their support on internet and even after a decade, they are still here. However, they would like to know what they could do to help you start Shenmue III's development ?

Yu Suzuki: Fans from all around the world kept providing support me and I can't thank them enough. About Shenmue, Sega is not a problem at all. For Shenmue III, we need to define a specific budget and if I can gather enough for it, Sega will allow me to do it.

I am pretty sure that Sega doesn't want to take any financial risks regarding Shenmue. That's why I have to gather the necessary budget for it. Anyway, even if I would like to work on other projects beside Shenmue, if I ever get the opportunity to work on the 3rd part, I will do it. And to be honest, I do not think that anyone else can properly accomplish Shenmue III the way I'd like to do it.

If Shenmue III's budget isn't sufficent, quality will suffer from it.

Budget and money are the main problems... If you ever reach your goal and gather enough money to create Shenmue III, do you think that you will be able to conclude the story? Knowing that Shenmue's story is very deep and seems to be far away from its conclusion.

Yu Suzuki: Yes indeed, the story is far away from being completed and to be honest, I do not think that it's possible to end it during Shenmue III. If I had to do it my way, players would experience the ending during Shenmue V. But that seems to be a lot so I'm going to try to finish it within the next 2 games.

Source: Yu Suzuki Interview (Shenmue Dojo)

5 games sounds absurd to me.

I'm kinda at the point where it's been so long I'd rather just not have an ending. Any conclusion wouldn't satisfy really.

Alx

I think he should just publish a book/documentary explaining the rest of the plot as he imagined it, and maybe telling about the production of the game (prototypes, artworks, interviews,...). That's the only way he'll ever get this project to closure without everything going to waste.
It won't make millions but it may be profitable, and will be less frustrating for both the remaining fans and his own ego.

stn

Shenmue V? Just the idea of one more Shenmue title seems to be a lot, in my mind. You have to consider that HD remakes of the first two would be mandatory, as you'd have a ton of gamers who haven't played them that you'd want to purchase the sequel. Not happening, sadly. I wish he'd give an interview and just say its 100% over.

Yakuza has a lot more mainstream appeal since its more action-oriented, and even it has failed to capture the Western audience. And yet we won't even be getting those games localized anymore.

Someone fund it, and in the mean time get a decent HD port of I and II released. A wishy washy port has more chance to put people off, so a good port with redone voices, touched up gameplay etc could be the best option.

Either way, a HD port needs to take place first, I think.

Scott Rohde please

I can't imagine Sony would ever fund this. MS published Shenmue II on Xbox, so they'd be the most likely candidate, but Nintendo has partnered with Sega a lot recently, so I could see them stepping up as well.

More than likely though, a new Shenmue game (or games) is never going to happen.

Krejlooc

Banned
And to be honest, I do not think that anyone else can properly accomplish Shenmue III the way I'd like to do it.

Damn straight. Shenmue is distilled yu suzuki.

Take to kickstarter and i'll drain my bank account in seconds.

If they tried for a kickstarter, it would likely be in the millions... maybe upwards of $10 million. I don't think they could get that kind of funding.

clem84

Gold Member
1- Sell a Shenmue HD collection and keep at least part of the profit for a future Shenmue game.

2- Kickstarter. There is no risk in doing this. He can set whatever goal he wants according to what he needs. If the KS doesn't reach it, nothing happens. If it does, we all win.

MaddenNFL64

This is the only kickstarter thing I would ever support. Ever.

edit: Also Sega, HD rerelease of the Shenmue games. Please.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
1- Sell a Shenmue HD collection and keep at least part of the profit for a future Shenmue game.

2- Kickstarter. There is no risk in doing this. He can set whatever goal he wants according to what he needs. If the KS doesn't reach it, nothing happens. If it does, we all win.

Other than the bad PR if it doesn't succeed. At that point no publisher would want to provide funding.

Guess that explains why no one's willing to fund it.

*Sonintendosoft carrying bags of money for Shenmue 3.*

Suzuki: I need triple the amount you're carrying, because I want to make Shenmue 3, 4 and 5...

*Sonintendosoft leaves*

How Sony/Shu/Mark have not jumped on this is beyond me. Hell, it doesn't even matter if it turns out to be a flop, the year or two of pre-release goodwill would be enough to warrant the investment.

liquidtmd

Banned
LOL. For ten years GAF salivates and cries at the lack of Shenmue 3

Suzuki: "Well, you know, Shenmue 5"...

OWKOwaJOTP}AEJGP WEOJIG}EOWKOFAOP J{OIG{OIE HGO{IHS{EGBO N@BD@DKM

stryke

I can't imagine Sony would ever fund this. MS published Shenmue II on Xbox, so they'd be the most likely candidate, but Nintendo has partnered with Sega a lot recently, so I could see them stepping up as well.

More than likely though, a new Shenmue game (or games) is never going to happen.

I still find this image the weirdest thing Shenmue fans have done because well, Sony didn't really do anything.

Bd1u0v2CUAABbR5.jpg:large

How Sony/Shu/Mark have not jumped on this is beyond me. Hell, it doesn't even matter if it turns out to be a flop, the year or two of pre-release goodwill would be enough to warrant the investment.

Because stuff like this don't exist in silos.

Any money going to Yu Suzuki's Shenmue 3 could had potentially gone to new property Z.

And it's even worse if Shenmue 3 isn't ending the story, but leaving another cliffhanger for Shenmue 4/5.

Top Bottom