• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zealand's new flag might be Silver Fern (Red, White, and Blue)

Status
Not open for further replies.

winjet81

#3 is dumb.

Looks like something from Nightmare Before Christmas.

img-thing

XOMTOR

ugh I don't like the black and white ones at all

I want our flag to have more colour than that

pretty disappointed how most of the shortlist is so similar to each other really, the long list a few weeks ago had some nice ones

Right now flat and minimalist are trendy so everyone is gonna
think they
love the B&W ones. Both of them are terrible for a flag and will look outdated in a few short years.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
The yin yang styled koru is pretty neat. 1 and 4 are good choices too. I don't know why, but 2 just doesn't look as good to me.

Dennis

Banned
I can't help but feel New Zealand is blowing a great chance to be the first nation with a dinosaur on its flag.

Mivey

At a distance 1 becomes:

Ain't no flags in the world in just black and white except like

The best is #4.

Is that really that bad to associate indirectly with radical muslim organisations?
NZ isn't gonna live off LOR tourists forever, you have to expand to reach out to new groups.

TipsyArchmage

Neo Member
I like 4. The "swirl" just looks like a yogurt company logo...

Can I ask why New Zealand fancy changing their flag? Just curious.

Well for me

1) I think the current one is too similar to Australia's flag and I'd quite like something that stands out from that.

2) Having the Union Jack on our flag is fine but I don't think it really represents our country very well anymore.

3) And I'd just like something a bit more visually interesting

Hackworth

I like 4. The "swirl" just looks like a yogurt company logo...

Can I ask why New Zealand fancy changing their flag? Just curious.
Collectively we don't.

The current Prime Minister wants to build a legacy that isn't economic mismanagement, lies, and selling our law enforcement data to the USA while trying to rush in law changes no-one asked for (like the TPPA and the anti-filesharing bills pushed by US copyright holders), so he's been pushing the flag change to try and unite the country around something and/or fill the media with dreck.

Aside from getting mad that he's spent a few million on this, almost no-one gives even the slightest iota of a fuck.

The old flag isn't perfect but it works, and it'll continue to work until we break from the UK and form a republic.

Thanks for the replies. it just came as a surpise as this was the first I'd heard of it. Hope it all works out for you in the end, and you don't end up with something that resembles a corporate logo.

I like New Zealand, it's like the thinking man's Australia... would love to visit their one day. Maybe go during a Lions tour in the future when I'm rich.

valeo

Wonder how much adidas is paying the NZ government to change it to a silver fern in line with the All Blacks emblem?

Such a load of crap. The only decent one is #2, though I'd prefer a koru on there instead of a silverfern.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
I like #3 the best, but #1 is great as well. I don't care for the color contrast of red/white/blue once you add black to the mix.

Mindwipe

It'll end up being two or four, since all I hear from people in NZ is how nobody wants to actually do this except the PM, so they'll vote for the one most similar to the current flag.

Jinkies

These are all bizarrely unstately. The exception being #2, which looks like a Pepsi ad of some kind, and so is perfect with NZ being an off-brand Australia.

Dryk

It'll end up being two or four, since all I hear from people in NZ is how nobody wants to actually do this except the PM, so they'll vote for the one most similar to the current flag.
There are two referendums, one to choose the new design and one after that to choose between the new and old design

Dead Man

I liked the blue red and white fern until someone said it looked like a North American sport league logo :( Now I can't unsee it. 1 is the best of those, but the black and red fern flag was awesome.

Wonder how much adidas is paying the NZ government to change it to a silver fern in line with the All Blacks emblem?

Such a load of crap. The only decent one is #2, though I'd prefer a koru on there instead of a silverfern.

It's a shame it's become associated with the All Blacks so much, it's always been used to represent NZ overseas.

QcLEHRl.jpg

20150411_131704.jpg

Komo

Banned
As long as there's no Union Jack in the new flag, I'm happy.

Hoping that it would push Australia to do the same thing

I quite like the second option. It's most likely to win, I think. It's a new design, yes, but it also pays tribute to the heritage of the country by keeping the colors and star design.

It also reminds me of the Shorty's logo, but that's neither here nor there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom