• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda: Breath of the Wild screenshots and closer look at full Hyrule map

Dystify

Nintendo Switch and its games are finally up for preorder in Japan. On Amazon they released a bunch of new screenshots for the game and a higher resolution picture of the map of the game. Enjoy!

Note: Clicking on the images makes them larger.

The Map
91gT91gkHNL._SL1500_.jpg

Nintendo Switch screenshots

Source

Wii U version screenshots

Source

Direct comparison between Nintendo Switch and Wii U version (Hilariously they're almost all at a different time of the day.)

Nintendo Switch (left) – Wii U (right)

Thanks to Lord Ghirahim for noticing these screenshots. Comparison was first made by Tathanen in the other Zelda thread.

That first comparison pic seems to show much further LOD on the switch version. The rest it's hard to tell the difference because of TOD changes, but the switch seems to have slightly sharper textures.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Crossposting from the Zelda launch trailer thread:

That first picture makes it look like there might be some significant improvements to draw distance/visibility in the Switch version. That'd be nice, since large draw distances are one of my biggest preferred graphical features. Also, the last picture makes it look like there might be slightly more grass in front of the Shrine in the Switch version? I wonder if the grass is randomly generated, though.

The fact that the HUD is different suggests that perhaps the Wii U version's screenshots were taken from a non-final build, but that would be odd.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
That first comparison pic seems to show much further LOD on the switch version. The rest it's hard to tell the difference because of TOD changes, but the switch seems to have slightly sharper textures.

The big thing I notice is the draw distance being better on Switch

It's hard to tell if this is actually the case. If you look close, you can still see everything in the Wii U version, it's just really dim and less lit-up. Definitely more lighting of the world in the Switch screen tho.

Interested in the Provinces of Necluda and Hebra. Eldin, Faron, and Lanayru are the standard fare, named after the gods

Edit: The Switch compares more favorably than I thought it would in the compared screenshots. I know, I know, may not be final build and all that

It's hard to tell if this is actually the case. If you look close, you can still see everything in the Wii U version, it's just really dim and less lit-up. Definitely more lighting of the world in the Switch screen tho.
Eh - look in the third comparison, the tree in the middle of the screen past the lake is missing on the Wii U. There's definitely a difference.

Switch version clearly looks better, but the Wii U version looks nice too, not a monumental difference or anything. This wait is killing me...

Meesh

Am I wrong for thinking it looks great??!! I just wanna dive right in and lose myself in this like it was 98 and I first played Ocarina of Time. :)

Interested in the Provinces of Necluda and Hebra. Eldin, Faron, and Lanayru are the standard fare, named after the gods

Edit: The Switch compares more favorably than I thought it would in the compared screenshots. I know, I know, may not be final build and all that

There's also "Altum"(sp?) up behind Death Mountain which I hadn't noticed before, neat.

Kikorin

I'm watching these on my smartphone and it looks fucking awesome, I'm so hyped to play something like this on an handheld when I go to bed.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Wiiu version defense force please reassure me that the two versions are roughly on par.

I mean, no matter what, they're still the same game. The Switch version shows some graphical/technical advantages and will have faster load times. Plus, there's a chance the Switch version will have a more stable framerate. However, at the end of the day, they're fundamentally the same game.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Switch lighting as a whole seems.. cooler? Harsher? Something. Things generally seem more lit, but also a little more intensely lit.

Nanashrew

Banned
Hebra, Necluda, Altum(?), Lanayru, Faron, Eldin, Central Hyrule.

The first 3 are new. I wonder what the stories are with these names.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
900p with an improved draw distance and a much more stable frame rate is enough for me although I'd like to see confirmation of better textures considering Switch apparently has more memory.

Baleoce

I need this game aaaah. That trailer has done things to me I hadn't anticipated. Gonna spend the next month and a half going through old Zelda games.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
The Switch version looks better than I thought it would.

Maybe I'll skip the Wii-U version, and wait until I (eventually) get a Switch.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Hebra, Necluda, Altum(?), Lanayru, Faron, Eldin, Central Hyrule.

The first 3 are new. I wonder what the stories are with these names.

I'm guessing Hebra is where the Gerudo live, Altum for the birds, and maybe Necluda for the Sheikah? Where the names come from will certainly be interesting. Expanding the Zelda mythos with more deities or spirits would be really cool.

https://zeldawiki.org/Hebra's_Hill

But perhaps even more specifically:

That'd be weird given that Death Mountain is in Eldin. But perhaps it corresponds to the region with the mountain with the cloud obscuring the top.

phanphare

Banned
oh man, I can't believe we're almost here

it's been a long time coming and the game has looked better every time they show more

I'm starting to feel the anticipation for this

Skyzard

Banned
Are we sure the WiiU shots are from a newer build this time?

900p with an improved draw distance and a much more stable frame rate is enough for me although I'd like to see confirmation of better textures considering Switch apparently has more memory.

Which screenshot was that in?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Wow, the difference between them is... night and day.

(i'll stop being a smartass now)

Still super impressed they got fully dynamic shadows into an open world Wii U game, looks really nice :), the light and shadows cast by the moon is really cool

Top Bottom