• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

newDisgaea PSP vid

Jirotrom

I'm a sucker for this stuff and If I owned a psp (which I will next year) I would double dip on this. PSP finally has some interesting stuff that I am into coming out.

Teasel

WHAT? THERE ARE NEW STAGE AND THERE ARE EXTRA PIECE OF SCRIPT? THAT'S OUTRAGIOUS DOOD!
crap i want this and i don't have a psp! :/

stiltskin

man... being a pretty hardcore rpg-er, id have to say that this game looks like it will have the most terrible dialogue ever. and the VO just make it that much worse.

DarkCloud

I have got to have this. Playing as Etna through her own scenario is to much to pass up. I just hope that you don't have to beat the main storyline to unlock the alternate or that there is a PSP/PS2 linkup option to bypass that. Took me way to long to beat the game originally to do it all over again.

Jirotrom

stiltskin said:
man... being a pretty hardcore rpg-er, id have to say that this game looks like it will have the most terrible dialogue ever. and the VO just make it that much worse.

Have you ever played disgaea?

MoxManiac

Huh? Outside of some horrible battle voices, Disgaea had great Va.

Captain Gordon has the best english VA ever.

Jirotrom

Durante said:
I don't think you need to ask. Though I agree with him on the English VA. I assume the PSP release will also have dual audio?
Ive always thought the voice acting was performed as such on purpose...to give it a cheesy charm.

I enjoyed the English voice overs. I am not why people are calling it bad, oh well. It does seem the voice actress for Etna is different from the PS2 version.

Durante

MoxManiac said:
Huh? Outside of some horrible battle voices, Disgaea had great Va.
Yes, Japanese VA. Seriously, I tried playing with the English VA for a bit (1 or 2 chapters) on my second play-through, and IMHO at least 50% of the humor and characterization were lost.

Anyway, I don't think I'll get this. I played the original and Disgaea 2 a lot, there are plenty of other games coming out and I'm not that big on handheld gaming in general.

Jirotrom

Durante said:
Yes, Japanese VA. Seriously, I tried playing with the English VA for a bit (1 or 2 chapters) on my second play-through, and IMHO at least 50% of the humor and characterization were lost.

Anyway, I don't think I'll get this. I played the original and Disgaea 2 a lot, there are plenty of other games coming out and I'm not that big on handheld gaming in general.
I lose out because I don't understand Japanese:(

Lain

I really, really enjoyed the Disgaea English VA.
Seriously, Laharl (ahhhhhhhhhahahahaha) and Etna (Prince?) were awesome. Was it cheesy? Yes. But that is what made it awesome. The VA was a perfect match for the game.
Now, the new voice for Etna used in D2 I didn't like much, and as such, I wont like it much in Disgaea PSP I guess (altho, in the youtube video I couldn't make out much, it kind of seemed similar to the one used in the first Disgaea to me).

Huh? The English VA in Disgaea was excellent, and it's purposely over the top. :p

Either you guys are just looking at it the wrong way or have your standards waaay to high for VA in a videogame, just what are you comparing it too?

And Captain Gordon is way too awesome.

Durante

Danne-Danger said:
Either you guys are just looking at it the wrong way or have your standards waaay to high for VA in a videogame, just what are you comparing it too?
The only really good english VA in any JRPG I've ever heard is most of FF12 and parts of DQ8. Disgaea's is by no means unbearable crap of the Stella Deus kind, but it still loses both humor and character compared to the japanese original. I stand by that assertion -- let's just all be happy that we got dual VA and demand it in the future as well, shall we?

Jirotrom

Durante said:
The only really good english VA in any JRPG I've ever heard is most of FF12 and parts of DQ8. Disgaea's is by no means unbearable crap of the Stella Deus kind, but it still loses both humor and character compared to the japanese original. I stand by that assertion -- let's just all be happy that we got dual VA and demand it in the future as well, shall we?
Not all of us here can understand the Japanese language, so how do we compare it?

Skilletor

Durante said:

I don't understand this. Partially because I don't agree with your opinion and partially because the dialogue is the same as what they say in the English VA...so, yeah...don't understand. Because you keep talking about VA and not translation.

Lain

Durante said:

I totally disagree. Disgaea humour was appreciable also thanks to the English VA. Listening to Laharl, Mid-Boss and Etna exchanging lines was really awesome.
Captain Gordon, as MoxManiac mentioned, was superb.
The game was over the top, the VA was over the top, with a nice recitation and the voices fitting the characters pretty well.
Stella Deus had crap VA because the characters sounded exactly as people reading out lines without any emotion, which didn't fit at all with the game.

Also you don't mention DDS as good VA. That's really discomforting =/

AniHawk

Hitlersaurus Christ said:
Wait, are they redubbing the whole game with these VA's? Or are they just using them for the new mode?

I believe it's the whole game. One of the guys was slightly disappointed that the prinnies didn't sound the same. The original cast for the PS2 version is still credited though, I think.

The name hasn't been Disgaea PSP for a while. It's Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness.

AniHawk said:
I believe it's the whole game. One of the guys was slightly disappointed that the prinnies didn't sound the same. The original cast for the PS2 version is still credited though, I think.

The name hasn't been Disgaea PSP for a while. It's Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness.
Aw, man. I loved the original's cast, and while this one is similar, it's just not the same.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I was pretty quick on dismissing this game when I originally bought it. But now that it's portable, I hope I'll have a better experience now that I'll be giving it a second chance.

WTF, they're redubbing the whole game? WHY?

AniHawk

Mejilan said:
I was pretty quick on dismissing this game when I originally bought it. But now that it's portable, I hope I'll have a better experience now that I'll be giving it a second chance.

WTF, they're redubbing the whole game? WHY?

I think it may have to do something with Atlus having all that info/code/rights/whatever for the first game. Don't quote me on that though. Regardless, I hear the multiplayer is awesome.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Eh? Atlus isn't publishing it this time? NISA, I guess? Strange. I wonder if they made an effort to acquire the rights. Probably cheaper to redub.

AniHawk

Mejilan said:
Eh? Atlus isn't publishing it this time? NISA, I guess? Strange. I wonder if they made an effort to acquire the rights. Probably cheaper to redub.

I think they've had Disgaea ever since the sequel. NISA only started up in 2003, a year after Disgaea was released.

Top Bottom