• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NewEgg] Best Selling CPUs & Video Cards of 2015

Woo-Fu

Banned
AMD need to fight back otherwise the trend of being fucked by hardware pricing will continue.

How do you fight back when you don't have the money to compete with Nvidia at the R&D level? Short of some sort of "Eureka!" moment they start behind and get further behind due to Nvidia simply throwing more money at it. They basically need a fuck-up on Nvidia's part of unbelievable proportion.

How do you fight back when you don't have the money to compete with Nvidia at the R&D level? Short of some sort of "Eureka!" moment they start behind and get further behind due to Nvidia simply throwing more money at it.

If I knew that I'd be the new boss of AMD, I guess...

Each new generation of hardware is a smaller leap in technology and more expensive is all I know, and that's bad for the consumer and will ultimately hurt PC gaming which is currently on an upswing.

Durante

How do you fight back when you don't have the money to compete with Nvidia at the R&D level? Short of some sort of "Eureka!" moment they start behind and get further behind due to Nvidia simply throwing more money at it. They basically need a fuck-up on Nvidia's part of unbelievable proportion.
Well, it's not like it never happened before.

Nvidia could be on the verge of releasing the next FX series, or Intel could be working on a new Pentium 4.

But I doubt it. I just hope Zen is decent.

The last good AMD card I had was HD6870 (which died on me), it's been a while.

Thinking of upgrading to 970 from 670 if funds allow in the next few months. i5 2500k still good or also time for upgrade?

Bloodborne robbed again

I wonder what AMD can do to gain back relevence on PC gamin market, seems like every year they are losting more and more to Intel and Nvidia. :/

Kezen

Banned
Funny how despite the 970 memory fiasco it still sold as well as it did, AMD's gotta step up their marketing game.

They need more AAA partnerships. So many games of 2015 have been sponsored by Nvidia it is no surprise to see the tide turning in their favor, AMD have to maintain their presence by demonstrating that top devs are willing to embrance their technologies and their vision for what the industry should be.

Because when it comes to raw hardware Nvidia and AMD are mostly matched, with different architectures offering different features. I would not say AMD's fading is due to their hardware as their R9 300 GPUs fare well against Nvidia's 970-980 except when you are heavily CPU limited, they will need to do something to improve their DX11 drivers. DX12 alone will not save them.

Bloodborne robbed again
Nice one.

Henrar

I just bought EVGA SSC 970 for my sister. Great card and also very cool and quiet. Makes me want to replace stock Nvidia cooler from my Titans.

aeolist

Banned
i really hope dx12 and vulkan represent a chance for amd to get their shit together wrt video drivers. i believe the low-level apis aren't as driver dependent so maybe they won't be able to screw it up as badly.

for processors i have no hope. we're stuck with intel forever.

I'm not unique I guess. Have the most popular CPU and GPU.

I'm surprised at the CPU. I only got it because there was a ridiculous deal on it at Staples awhile back.

Edit: Scratch that, 4770k, I am unique.

Durante

Do you think the only way to AMD rise the R&D should be they being bought by some other company with the budget to invest on it?
Well, I'm not really excited at that prospect either. I can't think of a company that would buy them which wouldn't come with some baggage I don't want.

Most of the candidates would make them focus (even more) on mobile, which I don't care much for.

aeolist

Banned
Do you think the only way to AMD rise the R&D should be they being bought by some other company with the budget to invest on it?

i can't picture any real or hypothetical company that would buy amd and try to make them competitive again. they'd be jumping into two hugely difficult markets against some of the most dominant hardware companies on the planet and it'd probably take years for an r&d investment to pay off.

anyone who buys amd will be breaking them up and/or salvaging them for parts once they drop even lower in price.

Durante

I found that odd since most business users don’t overclock their computers. If you’re overclocking at work, let me know in the comments.
I just read this part. I'm actually overclocking at work, and most of our office is, because (compile) time = money, and a mid-sized overclock on a well-cooled modern Intel desktop processor doesn't do anything to harm stability.

Well, I'm not really excited at that prospect either. I can't think of a company that would buy them which wouldn't come with some baggage I don't want.

Most of the candidates would make them focus (even more) on mobile, which I don't care much for.

i can't picture any real or hypothetical company that would buy amd and try to make them competitive again. they'd be jumping into two hugely difficult markets against some of the most dominant hardware companies on the planet and it'd probably take years for an r&d investment to pay off.

anyone who buys amd will be breaking them up and/or salvaging them for parts once they drop even lower in price.

The prospect isn't good then.

Kimawolf

How did they lose after the 9800 back in the day. It was a killer card for years. Crazy how now they are almost bankrupt.

Irobot82

There are probably 200+ computer at my work that are running i7 2700k's. They're reaching end of life soon and will be upgraded but I found that funny too. It's a K chip but it isn't overclocked.

I'd say the 970 is likely to be an historically successful card for nvidia. Seems like everyone, myself included, has one.

Damn fine card in the bang-for-your-buck stakes.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I was surprised to see the 5960x so high on the revenue charts, and socket 2011 having 3 out of 5 spots.

aeolist

Banned
How did they lose after the 9800 back in the day. It was a killer card for years. Crazy how now they are almost bankrupt.

i don't think they ever made a ton of money, even from their really popular products. intel and nvidia both had way better OEM sales (and intel even used their OEM contracts to keep amd out of the market) and enthusiast/retail sales aren't as reliable over time. they also kept a pretty low margin in order to be competitive.

once nvidia and intel fixed their fx/p4 screwups there was really no saving them.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Yeah.

Go enthusiasts!

(I have a "sane enthusiast" build with a 5820k on an ASRock Socket 2011 board)

I would also like to point out that being an enthusiast is not how much a person spends on their PC, but instead involves how much the person enjoys building and using their pc, keeping up with the latest pc news, enjoying learning more, etc. Plenty of enthusiasts don't own socket 2011 hardware :)

CryptiK

Could AMD stop being shit so NVIDIA and Intel have some actual competition. Can't just have Price for Performance, when your cards suck a shit load of power, run hot and driver support being total rubbish. Couldn't hurt to have something remotely similar to Shadow Play(no not raptor is crap).

Durante

I would also like to point out that being an enthusiast is not how much a person spends on their PC, but instead involves how much the person enjoys building and using their pc, keeping up with the latest pc news, enjoying learning more, etc. Plenty of enthusiasts don't own socket 2011 hardware :)
I was just using the term in the way it is commonly defined when it comes to hardware.

I was an enthusiast long before I could afford to build a PC on the Intel enthusiast platform ;)

spons

Gold Member
The Taiwanese brands are strong as heck here in Holland. Popularity rankings (most viewed cards) on a major tech site rank MSI and ASUS way out in front of any other brand with EVGA nowhere in sight even though their products aren't that expensive. Odd how brand loyalty differs per country.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Could AMD stop being shit so NVIDIA and Intel have some actual competition. Can't just have Price for Performance, when your cards suck a shit load of power, run hot and driver support being total rubbish. Couldn't hurt to have something remotely similar to Shadow Play(no not raptor is crap).

My R9 390 doesn't run any hotter than the 970 under load, and I don't notice any excessive heat during idle usage either.

Also, bad driver support is a load of crock and hasn't been true for a while. I've owned AMD cards for 6 years now and never had any driver issues.

Ironically enough, the only time I had any driver issues with either AMD/ATI or Nvidia is when Nvidia drivers fried my 7900GT, I loved that card too :(

Thankfully eVGA's awesome support replaced it and gave me a slight upgrade as well.

Oxn

My R9 390 doesn't run any hotter than the 970 under load, and I don't notice any excessive heat during idle usage either.

Also, bad driver support is a load of crock and hasn't been true for a while. I've owned AMD cards for 6 years now and never had any driver issues.

Ironically enough, the only time I had any driver issues with either AMD/ATI or Nvidia is when Nvidia drivers fried my 7900GT, I loved that card too :(

Thankfully eVGA's awesome support replaced it and gave me a slight upgrade as well.

Yea, i don't think AMD right now is any worst in terms of pricing, and performance or any other metrics being used.

At this point it really is all about perception. Speaking as a 780GTX owner.

Cyriades

Thinking about getting 2 R9 390's for crossfire. With its 8GB of vram

aeolist

Banned

when people complain about driver issues it's not always bugs or instability, drivers have a huge impact on performance. amd cards are highly competitive with nvidia on games that are well-optimized for them and usually pretty bad on games that aren't, this means there's a lot of potential performance that amd is leaving on the table thanks to their bad drivers and lack of dev outreach. they've also had issues like the frame pacing bug that was discovered last year, i don't think that one's totally fixed either.

amd's opengl performance is constantly abysmal too, and that's almost entirely drivers. their linux support is still terrible too.

Durante

Yea, i don't think AMD right now is any worst in terms of pricing, and performance or any other metrics being used.
That's just not true. It all depends on your requirements (or metrics if you will).

VSR is a significantly worse and more limited version of DSR. Shadowplay is a lot more compatible and feature-rich than Raptr recording. If you are looking at high-framerate gaming, NV's DX11 drivers are still significantly better in terms of CPU utilization than AMDs (never mind OpenGL).

These are all facets which might be more or less important to each individual, but they are also all factual.

Omadahl

Banned
Now I feel like a schlub. I can't afford an I7 or a 970 so I'm rolling full AMD. To be honest, for the $500 I spent to update my computer, I run every game I play on ultra settings. I don't need 4k or gsync.

Top Bottom