• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NewEgg] Best Selling CPUs & Video Cards of 2015

orochi91

Now I feel like a schlub. I can't afford an I7 or a 970 so I'm rolling full AMD. To be honest, for the $500 I spent to update my computer, I run every game I play on ultra settings. I don't need 4k or gsync.

I recommend an i5.

It will perform well for gaming applications and significantly cheaper than an i7. The money you'll save on the CPU can go towards a good GPU.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Sucks for AMD. They really can't compete in the processor arena anymore unless something drastic changes.

They are a struggle story in the GPU arena too. Of this is a market they care about they should start trying.

Each card release the landscape looks more and more like a monopoly for NV for those in the enthusiast and midrange PC gaming market.

LiK

I got an Asus GTX 970 from them with a deal and it's rock solid. Never used EVGA or PNY cards. Heard they're good but Asus hardware has never failed me. I was using an Asus 570 before and it was fine. I only upgraded cuz it couldn't handle some newer games anymore.

Still using i5 CPU.

Sciz

AMD's continued existence seems irrelevant at this point, as far as Intel and Nvidia's market strategies are concerned.

Proud owner of a GTX 970 now $416 after taxes CDN.

VGeDU2X.jpg

John Wick

eVGA is an awesome company, great support. So if the list has to be dominated by Nvidia, I'm glad it's eVGA leading the way.

That said, I'm extremely happy with my R9 390, I'm really glad I chose it over the GTX 970(which really was never an option for me because of the whole 3.5GB debacle).

Its the best bang for buck GPU or at least was for quite some time

Been considering updating my CPU, but my 3930k is still performs ridiculously well.
The problem [sic] is that I'd need to start fresh on a new platform, and it would require a considerable amount to pass up what I'm working with now.
I'd like to replace my current LGA2011 mobo, but damn the hardware on this platform hasn't depreciated in price at all.

The hell are those?

EDIT: Oh, it's an NVIDIA. Of course.

One of the clients my company works with just bought around 50 of these for their engineering workstations and a rendering server. These cards are great with programs like PTC Creo/Parametric and the AutoDesk suite.

What is the power gap like between the GTX 970 and 980 Ti? I actually didn't expect the 970 to be the highest seller but I suppose it makes sense.

I would love to see other hardware sites do something similar. I am not surprised at the results though, NV and Intel have been the go-to hardware for so long.

These sales numbers are nothing compared to console sales. AMD is fine.

It's been stated before but console hardware profit margins are razor thin and have always been that way. AMD has the current console contracts in part because they are the only ones willing to work for the pennies they get for each console sold. Intel and Nvidia don't even want to bother with the kind of profit margins we see here.

It's been stated before but console hardware profit margins are razor thin and have always been that way. AMD has the current console contracts in part because they are the only ones willing to work for the pennies they get for each console sold. Intel and Nvidia don't even want to bother with the kind of profit margins we see here.

AMD is literally losing well over a hundred million USD per quarter now. they're about as far away from fine as you can get

Lenardo

Banned
For me, I build my computers. I have 3kids so I have a limited budget. I go amd due to price vs performance received.

I get ~80% of the CPU performance for half the price, the use that price difference to invest in the video card, gaining that.

Games I play, I have a 2k screen, I average 45+ fps on ultra settings. That is good evough for me. Excluding the video card my computer cost 350-400.(granted my video card doubles that price)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Hope things look up for AMD, haven't had much to complain about with my 280X and their drivers have gotten so much better, Crimson is the shit.

Maybe explain to him why console sales aren't helping them as much as he believes rather than just using funny memes. This forum sometimes.

hesido

This is not good for AMD at all, and surely doesn't fall in line with their projections that came with conquering console business. The console business is extremely low margin. Games getting gcn optimizations was one of AMD's projections, iirc. Console business creating positive leaks into the PC space didn't happen. Maybe DX12 is coming too late.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
when people complain about driver issues it's not always bugs or instability, drivers have a huge impact on performance. amd cards are highly competitive with nvidia on games that are well-optimized for them and usually pretty bad on games that aren't, this means there's a lot of potential performance that amd is leaving on the table thanks to their bad drivers and lack of dev outreach. they've also had issues like the frame pacing bug that was discovered last year, i don't think that one's totally fixed either.

amd's opengl performance is constantly abysmal too, and that's almost entirely drivers. their linux support is still terrible too.

Sure there are some games in which AMD cards have less than optimal performance compared to their Nvidia counterparts, but in general any driver "issue" is massively overblown. The R9 390, for example, outperforms the 970 in most situations, especially when you take DX12 into account.

Not surprising, the 970 was declared the best GPU in terms of price/performance for a while without much competition and then NVIDIA had deals with several major releases to push people even more into buying one of their GPUs, it worked with me from the promotion Witcher 3 (which I haven't even gotten to playing) and BAK (ugh, such disappointment) I also ended up getting MGSV and AC:S due to NewEgg customer service being awesome. Mine was also a EVGA SSC model too. Not bad for $314.

StoneFox

Currently buying parts for my next computer. i7 5930k for the CPU and GTX 980 ti Hybrid for the GPU. Kinda cool to see my CPU on the list, I expect my new computer is gonna serve me just fine. :)

I think the #1 selling GPU is the same one I have, EVGA 970. Got it from Newegg just before the Witcher 3 released and have been very happy with it overall; plays games like a dream, and driver updates aren't hell like they were on AMD. I really wasn't expecting the Nvidia Experience program to be as helpful as it was--it was a fantastic change after messing around trying to get AMD's CCC working right so many times previously, not to mention the driver updates themselves which were never pleasant.

The 970 is the best GPU I've ever owned. And I'm not just saying this because it's the highest-end one I've ever had, either. It's been a really pleasant piece of hardware.

thelastword

Banned
What the hell is with the pricing on 6700Ks.

On Amazon for $455? And people are slurping it up?

Get a 4790k people
They want M.2, USB 3.1 and DDR4. Go for the chip that supports the advanced architecture if you're building brand new right now........

x3sphere

They want M.2, USB 3.1 and DDR4. Go for the chip that supports the advanced architecture if you're building brand new right now........

Well, you can get that in X99 too. I'd say going for a 5820K setup makes more sense than paying more than MSRP on a Skylake CPU.

I got a 6790K for Christmas. It is pretty sweet, especially coming off a Phenom II 940 build. Jammed 24GB of RAM in there since it's so cheap. Only now my Radeon 6950 with shaders unlocked to 6970 spec is suddenly very out of date.

zoozilla

Rocking an FX-6350 and an R9 270X!

Who's jealous?

It's honestly not a bad combo for the price - I tend to play games that are 1 to 2 years old, and my rig has absolutely no problem with them. I haven't run into driver issues, either, though I've never used AMD's ShadowPlay equivalent.

Hard to see AMD crawling back into any hardware race, though. I think their GPUs offer good value and I'll most likely go with an AMD card for my next upgrade, but I don't know that I could justify getting an AMD CPU over an Intel one (unless Zen is amazing, I guess?).

I'm rooting for them, though.

Damn, who's out there buying all the X99 CPUs? 5820K, 5930K, and 5960X are supposed to be the ultra-high end enthusiast CPUs.

The 5820K is an amazing value at the high end though, you get 2 more cores than a Skylake 6700K for about the same amount of money.

Looks like all the AMD people screaming about the 970 and 3.5 GB have had about as much effect as the Republicans screaming about Benghazi: literally none. The 970 is an amazing value for the performance it offers though. The only reason I don't have a 970 is because I sold mine to buy a 980 Ti.

I would love to see other hardware sites do something similar. I am not surprised at the results though, NV and Intel have been the go-to hardware for so long.

You don't really need this from hardware sites when you have the Steam Hardware Survey.

Top Bottom