• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newest AMD R9 300 series rumors: 380 ~$330, 380X ~ $400, 390 ~$700, 390X ~$700+ 300W+

courtesy of funo

the German online outlet Heise received some new information at the Cebit (German high tech convention) today.
I find them highly reliable and I've heard similar news from a friend working at Cebit.

- April was rumored for release of 380(X) but now partners say it seems highly unlikely
- only the 390 and the 390X might come with the new HBM.
- 390X supposed to need 300 Watts+

Prices and Performance

- R9 390X ~ 700$+
- R9 390 ~ 700$
- R9 380X (faster than 290X) ~ 400$
- R9 380 (faster than 290) ~ 330$
- R9 370 (approx. between R9 270X and R9 285) ~200$
- R7 360X ~ 150$
- R7 360 ~ 110$

source (German): Heise CEBIT News

These performance price brackets are pretty poor IMO given how much time has passed on 28nm. This looks as if the prices for price/performance were caluclated from the current pay positions and extrapolated upon...

EDIT: For example, that 370 and 380 are basically the exact same price performance as what has existed since... quite some time now.

wachie

As I said in the other thread, disappointing if true. This means Nvidia wont likely release a 980 "Ti" aka Titan X for the masses without the DP performance.
Potential derail on post 4? I'm impressed.
How is it a derail? He is trying to compare the value.

wildfire

Banned
300 watts is outrageous. Also, supposedly HBM will only be available for 390 and 390X?

When the benchmark rumors came out I was surprised to see it under 300 watts. That clashed with the confirmed rumor that the 390X would have an AIO cooler. AMD needed the AIO for a very hot part and this unfortunately makes sense.

Not a fan of those 390/390x prices.

Also the 380/380x prices, if they are really "rebranded" 290/290x with slightly better performance, are too high IMO.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. I have a feeling that the price and power consumption will keep the 390/390x from being crazy sellers.

kabel

AMD-Radeon-R9-390X-vs-290X-performance.jpg

Well if the 390X is really 50-60% faster than the 290X then $700+ is okay.....but over $1000 would be to much if you ask me.

290X in BF4 in 4K:
minFPS:28 avgFPS:37

390X would be
minFPS: 44 avgFPS:59

4K gaming on single GPU is now pretty good!

Enosh

R9 370 (approx. between R9 270X and R9 285) ~200$

isn't a 280x which is iirc quite a bit better than the 270x and 285 already around 200$ in the us? I know it's more expensive here, around 310-320€ but I see it often recommended over the 960 (around 250-ish € here) for US people since it's a similar price and performs better

300 watts for a single GPU no thanks. Seems that for me personally buying a second 970 or upgrading to SLI 980s would be a better route than a single 390x

Corpsepyre

Banned
It's hard to say. People thought 4 gig cards were overkill for 1080p a few years ago and look where we're at now with 2 gig cards.

I'm in that 2 GB boat. Some of my games are stuttering like anything at ultra textures, but are much better at high. Depends on the game and how optimized it is, though.

R9 370 (approx. between R9 270X and R9 285) ~200$

isn't a 280x which is iirc quite a bit better than the 270x and 285 already around 200$ in the us? I know it's more expensive here, around 310-320€ but I see it often recommended over the 960 (around 250-ish € here) for US people since it's a similar price and performs better

Yes, it is. Hence why this pricing is terrible. Quite a while ago, i made a thread about poor mid-tier GPU pricing (non-depreceating prices) and it appears as if AMD is maintaining this for some reason.

Well if the 390X is really 50-60% faster than the 290X then $700+ is okay.....but over $1000 would be to much if you ask me.

290X in BF4 in 4K:

390X would be

lol
They know how to make graphs look better than they actually are.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
.. Totally still playable for most games @ 1080? Those 4GB 760s etc. were still kind of a waste of time.

My 2 gig 670 is handling most things fine, but I would be way better off if I had went with the 4 gig according to most benchmarks I see. Curious to see how it handles GTAV and TW3. Trying to hold off until next year for Pascal cards.

Corpsepyre

Banned
My 2 gig 670 is handling most things fine, but I would be way better off if I had went with the 4 gig according to most benchmarks I see. Curious to see how it handles GTAV and TW3. Trying to hold off until next year for Pascal cards.

How does your card compare to a 2 GB R9 270X?

Momentary

Banned

290X in BF4 in 4K:

390X would be

I love that website so much.

funo

I'd admit I am new to this stuff, what is a mining market?

For a somewhat long (and shitty) period plenty of AMD's cards (e.g. 280, 280X, 290, 290X) became even more expensive instead of cheaper because of their use for bitcoin mining. They were sold out for weeks (and months) and you couln't get used cards either.

cyen

Alot of companies use this type of graphs (including nvidia) to compare diferente GPU´s.

The thing is that 60% faster than a 290x is amazing when considering they are on the same processing node.

If it sells for 700€ the 8GB version im already sold since i could not care less if it consumes 200W or 300W.

If the performance mentioned is real it´s finally time to upgrade by 1080p monitor to a 4K.

Phawx

For a somewhat long (and shitty) period plenty of AMD's cards (e.g. 280, 280X, 290, 290X) became even more expensive instead of cheaper because of their use for bitcoin mining. They were sold out for weeks (and months) and you couln't get used cards either.

On the plus side, when mining on 290's stopped being profitable people who made their bitcoin money flipped the used 290(x)'s for stupid cheap.

I am actually using one of those used cards currently ($230 for a 290 1 year ago). But Asus allows for transferable 3 year warranty from manufacturers date. Still, it runs like a champ.

If the 390X is faster than any other single GPU/card and is cheaper than the Titan X, consider it being bought :).

I believe I already saw leaked benches showing that to be the case. Take it with a grain of salt though.

290X in BF4 in 4K:

390X would be

How is it ok?
I want to hear you explain it.

the hd4870 was 50 percent faster than the 3870 and launched at 199dollars, that's how things work, new hardware comes along and performance/dollar goes up
10mb-hard-drive.jpg

Can I interest you in a 20GB hard disc? only a million dollars

On topic: if this rumor is correct (ugh please don't let it be), I predicted it in the other thread. Once based on the 'ultra enthusiast gpu' PR speak they've used to set the tone on the 390x, and once based on them not rebranding the 7970 and 290x again.

Premium price for premium performance.

Works with cars too.

It's a new line of gpus... performance is supposed to go up, comparing it to the previous gen of gpus for pricing makes absolutely no sense
The old high end becomes the new midrange
If this rumor is correct the old high end remains at the old high end price and the new high end comes at a big price hike.

What will you do when the 490x comes out and is 50 percent faster again? pay 1200 dollars for it? And the one after that? 2000?
And don't shrug this off because it's already happened and is about to happen again, prices doubled once in the past 4 years and they're about to nearly double again.

Your next phone is going to be 2x faster than your current one and will be the fastest phone available for a while, are you going to pay double for it too? A fool and his money I guess.

I can't believe I even have to explain this to you, I hope you are getting paid for your shilling.

pestul

It will certainly be interesting to see how much faster the 380x is over the 290x in that price range. 25% should put it past the 980, and maybe 50% or more on the 390x. Sounds good..

Now get these damn cards out AMD!

kabel

It's a new line of gpus... performance is supposed to go up, comparing it to the previous gen of gpus for pricing makes absolutely no sense
The old high end becomes the new midrange
If this rumor is correct the old high end remains at the old high end price and the new high end comes at a big price hike.

What will you do when the 490x comes out and is 50 percent faster again? pay 1200 dollars for it? And the one after that? 2000?
And don't shrug this off because it's already happened and is about to happen again, prices doubled once in the past 4 years and they're about to nearly double again.

Your next phone is going to be 2x faster than your current one and will be the fastest phone available for a while, are you going to pay double for it too? A fool and his money I guess.

I never paid more than 200€ for a graphicscard or any phone I had. I don't have much money and I'm sure that I'm not a fool but if people want to buy 550mm² graphicscards then I think that 700€+ is okay because these are expensive wattmonsters with a very bad yield rate.

Top Bottom