• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newly Uncovered Files on Dev Kit Includes Dreamcast Simpsons Game

Dreamcast-talk user sreak posted that they unearthed a tech demo of a Simpsons game called The Simpsons: Bug Squad! The build is playable and was contained on a broken dev kit for the Sega Dreamcast.

The filenames contained on the kit’s hard drive are BlowUp, roach, Bugsquad, Quake2, Simpsons, ttb410, RoachWorld, ttb5, and Source Code. Because of these filenames, a user on the forums mentioned that the dev kit might have been owned by someone other than an “original DC developer.”

Eventually a video of the playable demo was produced. Its title screen has a message that reads, “confidential and proprietary: copyright 2000 Red Lemon Studios LTD All Rights Reserved.” Red Lemon Studios was the developer behind Farscape: The Game and Braveheart, which, like Bug Squad! are video game adaptations of other properties. They were also working on a lightgun game called Take the Bullet. Take the Bullet was also included on this hard drive in the form of a beta.

The gameplay video for The Simpsons: Bug Squad! depicts a player-controlled bug navigating the Simpsons home. Meanwhile, Homer Simpson walks about aimlessly.

The thread went on as users worked together to uncover more mysteries about the game, many expressing excitement over the never-before-seen glimpse at the title. As of posting, the thread is on its twelfth page and users are still uncovering new information.

One of the people who worked on the game, Dr. Andy Campbell, has also spoken up about the dive into the dev kit. He claims that the tech demo was designed for a pitch to Fox, as he “knew Fox pretty well.”

It is hard to know how many Dreamcast games never saw the light of day. Fortunately, there are some ways to experience the bygone era on modern platforms. You can also use modern controllers on the old console, if that’s your thing.

Max_Po

Banned
Dreamcast community will jizz their pants for this

4ce.gif

buizel

Banned
For some reason it reminded me of this fucking gem from my youth. Anyone play this besides me? Was called Virtual Springfield
the-simpsons-virtual-springfield_5.jpg

i played with simpsons cartoon maker alot

took us a while to realise you had to drag the gif's to make them go in walk patterns. that looks familiar. ^

Has this game already been pirated by Dreamcast owners?

The tech demo was dumped by the original creators along with a few other demos they were working on at the time. The GDI is on page 2 of the forum thread Siliconera links to.

Not much more than what is shown in the original video. Someone used the free cam debug mode and the only additional area revealed so far is the backyard:

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
The tech demo was dumped by the original creators along with a few other demos they were working on at the time. The GDI is on page 2 of the forum thread Siliconera links to.

Not much more than what is shown in the original video. Someone used the free cam debug mode and the only additional area revealed so far is the backyard:

I was just making a joke about dreamcast piracy rates. Good info though.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Pretty cool tech demo/pitch. The graphics are pretty impressive in their own way, captures the look of the show really well.

Playing as a bug reminds me a bit of the weirdo niche classic Mr. Mosquito on PS2.

For some reason it reminded me of this fucking gem from my youth. Anyone play this besides me? Was called Virtual Springfield
the-simpsons-virtual-springfield_5.jpg
I used to play that when I was young. A great game.

Anyway, it looks a bit weird, and from what I've seen, it's just you flying as a bug, but then again, it's a tech demo, and we don't know what it would've looked like in the end project. If it had been released, (let's say that the Dreamcast was not discontinued before it came out) then I would like to have a play at it. It does look like a bit like VS and the Fly vs Fly THOH segment, only with bugs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom