• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newzoo: Top 100 countries by game revenues 2017

Kinan

Well, this sure will help to ground discussions about market sizes:

https://newzoo.com/insights/rankings/top-100-countries-by-game-revenues/

Excludes hardware sales though.

Germany is number 4, surprised that France is so much smaller than Germany, UK and Korea.

countries2jbwz.png

Unknown?

Lol @ people saying Japan is insignificant. It's not what it used to be but still big. Also Germany > UK? It's grown a lot.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Canada in the top 10 with the lowest population.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I remember when the UK was rivaling Japan, now we are behind Germany? Ok so we are still a significant market but that stings.

Madness

Lol @ people saying Japan is insignificant. It's not what it used to be but still big. Also Germany > UK? It's grown a lot.

These estimates are based on a combination of primary consumer research, transactional data, quarterly company reports, and census data. The revenues are based on consumer revenues generated by companies in the global games industry and exclude hardware sales, tax...

Don't think anyone said Japan was insignificant. Japan however is increasingly lower and lower in the console space which is easily observable. This research clearly includes mobile and PC gaming which has skyrocketed in Japan, it is also why China is already ahead of the US. Japan is still a dominant gaming territory, but in terms of traditional gaming, ie. Hardware and handheld purchases, it is nowhere near what it was.

Ushay

Wow the chinese market is ripe for console gaming, wonder why none of the big three have ever managed a foothold over there?

cheesekao

Wow the chinese market is ripe for console gaming, wonder why none of the big three have ever managed a foothold over there?
Console revenue in China grew more than 55% in 2016 over 2015. Someone's doing some work, presumably Sony since they have the largest presence there among the three.

MaxDOL

I am surprise that Thailand rank with in top 20.

We most likely spend our money on free2pay games both on pc and mobile.

Our console spending probably is insignificant because Sony is the only first party currently operate in the country while Nintendo distributor(MaxSoft) operate from Singapore and Microsoft do not even bother to market in the country.

Plenty of reasons, but a simple through-line.

PC exclusives in China >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> all console exclusives on 3 platforms combined.

aBarreras

Square Enix has actually been making a deal of trying to get into Mexico and India due to current and expected growth.

expected grow for india right? becuase here in mexico the games have been doubling in price because the peso plummeted against the dollar.

cheesekao

Perhaps this explains why Xbox has more sales/revenue than PS despite the big difference in hardware sales.
I don't see you can extrapolate such data when it includes a whole host of other revenue streams besides that of consoles'. Even without them, you still wouldn't be able to do so.

shandy706

I don't see you can extrapolate such data when it includes a whole host of other revenue streams besides that of consoles'. Even then, you still wouldn't be able to do so.

Lol what?

It doesn't.

So nothing can be pulled from it based on population vs spending totals?

Eh, maybe not. It is a broad stroke including a ton of data.

NM

Xbox doesn't have more sales or revenue. What the hell are you smoking?

Ah, I was under the impression they made more off of Xbox Live and revenue per user than their competition did off their similar networks. Maybe I misread something.

Pakistan at #51 is not bad for a market still trying move away from the gray market into legalalized sellers (for Sony anyways, don't see much Xbox).

Fiendcode

Don't think anyone said Japan was insignificant. Japan however is increasingly lower and lower in the console space which is easily observable. This research clearly includes mobile and PC gaming which has skyrocketed in Japan, it is also why China is already ahead of the US. Japan is still a dominant gaming territory, but in terms of traditional gaming, ie. Hardware and handheld purchases, it is nowhere near what it was.
Dedicated hardware is down in all historically core regions. Japan's not alone in that, it's just shaken out a bit differently with home consoles flatlining. In the west it was handhelds and the exiting casual mainstream.

(bubble size = revenue)

Was carious how would this look in a graph. Going forward countries like India and Brazil seems to have enormous growth potential.

great graph, thanks
what bubble is mexico,tho?
imho mexico deserves a name to the bubble, too

mexico and brazil are the 2 most important and biggest latin american markets

I thought Japan was irrelevant?

Someone also told me that UK was the biggest after US?

Did NewGAF lie to me?

Console gaming Japan is not in the Top 3 anymore
it's behind Germany now (maybe Switch will change that again)

Console gaming (not including handhelds)
#1 US
#2 UK
#3 DE
#4 JP

PC gaming
#1 China
#2 US
#3 Korea
#4 DE

Mobile
#1 China
#2 JP
#3 US
#4 probably Korea

don't take my rankings for 100% correct, i could be wrong on a placement
but to give you an idea of the different markets, this is pretty accurate and good

Top Bottom