• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Alien movie may be titled Awakening. Set between Prometheus and Covenant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
There is no way this whole thing doesn't end with David being the Space Jockey they find on LV-426.

But what about the chest burst that the Space Jockey had? Androids aren't able to be implanted with chestbursters, so will that be retconned?

oh fuuuuck you

so basically Covenant is a mess and needs another-nother-nother movie to ask even more questions we didn't need. Got it. Preorder cancelled.
(I honestly have no interest in actually watching these 'prsquals' anymore)

I wouldn't have even considered that this could be a thing - I was resigned to the 10 years between Prometheus and Covenant being glossed over (relegated to a prequel novel, maybe). I'm so ambivalent at this moment. I need to see what Covenant turns out to be. I don't see the Prometheus 2 (which I want) some other people see in it. It's a compromise entry at best - strictly going off the trailers - leaning towards Alien/s in my eyes. I don't necessarily want Aliens flicks from my Alien universe movies, if that makes any sense. I was really sold on Ridley Scott returning to the universe for a tangent movie where Alien existed off to the side (but it was still officially the reference for the aesthetic, themes, tone and rules). 1979 Alien being left mostly untouched would have been beautiful to me. So if Awakening is even a half-step back to the adjacent, open-ended feeling of Prometheus, instead of the Xenomorph punchline of Aliens movies, then cool. Let me get at least one more Shaw movie uninvolved with the classic, overexposed trappings. Let me see her weird road trip during the time jump. Maybe she could be having a concurrent adventure in the future of the saga if she hasn't met a terrible fate in Covenant.

But I'm more skeptical than I was from the time between Prometheus and Covenant though - I'm painfully aware now that Scott's vocalized plans do change dramatically, and I shouldn't work myself up over what I interpret Awakening's chronological placement implies, cause it very well might not be that.

rou021

Is covenant a direct sequel to Prometheus though? I thought it wasn't really but I guess I haven't been paying too much attention.
According to Ridley...maybe.

But what about the chest burst that the Space Jockey had? Androids aren't able to be implanted with chestbursters, so will that be retconned?
Could've been a bomb implanted inside him or something. The missing chestburster doesn't create as much of problem as the warning though. If David created the aliens as weapons, why would he warn anybody about them (in the Engineers' language, no less).

I imagine a lot of retcons to Covenant and a lot of questions going "well if this happened in Awakening, how does that explain why this is there in Covenant?" Just making things harder for himself.

What if Noomi Rapace's Covenant screentime is a stinger that hints to (back at) Awakening 🤔

But we know she was with David at the end of Prometheus. It's not really a surprise worthy of a stinger unless it's a Tokyo Drift/Fast and furious 6 style reveal where we see Jason Statham t-bone her with his car.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I'd be happier if Creative Assembly were solely tasked with developing the Alien story.

Prometheus was alright, though.

Martian

I would love it, probably. I loved the story prometheus created (i want more background stories).

Prometheus feels more like an exploration film (and alien more like a horror movie) and i want more like it

But we know she was with David at the end of Prometheus. It's not really a surprise worthy of a stinger unless it's a Tokyo Drift/Fast and furious 6 style reveal where we see Jason Statham t-bone her with his car.
Fassbender's inclusion in the marketing of Covenant is integral, and I don't think it's because of the probable side character of Walter or just because of the actor's star power alone - David was named in the official synopsis of the movie. Fox wanted us to know about David returning from word go, and had particular phrasing.

Bound for a remote planet on the far side of the galaxy, the crew of the colony ship Covenant discover what they think is an uncharted paradise, but is actually a dark, dangerous world, whose sole inhabitant is the synthetic David, survivor of the doomed Prometheus expedition.

Based off that synopsis, many people assumed that Shaw exited offscreen or would get the Alien 3 Hicks/Newt treatment - plenty still safely assume a cameo just above that (as a half alive experiment) with the revelation of Noomi being involved in Covenant's production. We only know about Noomi's involvement because press caught it during a set visit and because Rapace low-key confessed to spending some of the summer shooting with Scott during an event to celebrate the director (the cat was out of the bag by then). Shaw's inclusion is being treated like a secret. Ridley only just acknowledged Shaw's involvement during SXSW and he sounded reluctant to share and gave a vague and brief answer to Fandango, interestingly enough right before he started talking about going back in the prequel timeline with Awakening (if Fandango's write up of the interview is linear unlike these movies).

So Shaw's involvement at all should have been a moderate surprise framed in what we officially know about Covenant, but her cameo being representative of her having some larger role again after having protagonist duties taken away is definitely surprise worthy even if there's timeline fuckery.

I'd maybe agree with you if you said nobody would care besides me! My bad if your Fast and Furious reference made the post a joke that went over my head.

Gin-Shiio

I have an idea what he's got planned, but this is still a terrible decision. The prequel to the sequel of a prequel. That's not a good idea.

jelly

They created humans so maybe David makes himself human....sips red wine. Aliens create man, man creates android, android becomes man, man becomes god.

The logical conclusion is that they eventually go to the Engineer/Space Jockey world. Maybe it's ruined and covered with Spliced Xenomorphs?

Kazuhira

We already knew this but i don't get why a prequel leading to Covenant,release Awakening first then.
He is walking backwards this way,now i wonder if Covenant will give more questions than answers.

Mivey

The movies aren't so bad if you think of them as overly expensive comedies. Someone should add in a laugh track, that would make Prometheus more watchable.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It's over, I have the high ground.
Have you heard about the footage that was shown by Scott? Its "C3PO beeing made by Darth Vader" level of stupidity.
The guy who sat in the original delerict beeing David is a possibility that can actually happen.

Covenant is a bunch of batshit stuff they have to walk back on later to explain it.

tyx9emw.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom