• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Assassin's Creed Set in Rome

Kabouter

Should've been 17th century Amsterdam. Although I suppose they should do the Dutch Republic justice and make AC3 all about that :p.

Mush

Pretty disappointed really. One of the main draws of the Assassin's Creed series is it's different locales and use of characters for that time period. If they're just going to reuse Ezio and Italy it would be a shame :/ Also, if Ubi is really handing this off to Shanghai, I hope Patrice Desliets stays on or at least has some input on the game.

MYE

chandoog said:
you ARE jack the ripper ! :eek:

I've asking for a good Jack the Ripper game for YEARS.
The setting and atmosphere would be amazing if done right.
a1ikg4.jpg

*drools

dyergram

I was gutted about the tiny section of Rome included in number II so this is good news as far as im concerned I love that place :)

Prine

Banned
AC2 was beautiful, but im burned out on Italy. Greece would have been nice, i know there's nothing to tie Assassins and Greece though. One can dream can he not?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Kabouter said:
Should've been 17th century Amsterdam. Although I suppose they should do the Dutch Republic justice and make AC3 all about that :p.

Amsterdam, Leiden, The Hague and Haarlem. Then they got the most important cities in Holland covered.

Mush said:
Pretty disappointed really. One of the main draws of the Assassin's Creed series is it's different locales and use of characters for that time period. If they're just going to reuse Ezio and Italy it would be a shame :/ Also, if Ubi is really handing this off to Shanghai, I hope Patrice Desliets stays on or at least has some input on the game.

I totally feel the same way. AC2s settings and characters were awesome, but if they are just setting AC3 in rome, come on. If this is DLC then hell yeah! If its just a side game to AC2 then hell yeah! But I was really hoping for a new time period and locale rather than italy again. If the very very beginning of AC3 takes the role of ezio in rome and then later on the majority of the game is set in a new time period and character, that would work well.

And to the people hoping for a WW2 setting, forget it. I believe they already have said they will not bring the setting to that period.

EDIT-Just saw that thread on Ubisoft releasing franchise titles every 12-18 months. If AC3 is the last in the series than I hope its not all set in italy. However, if they are planning lots of main sequels(like AC4/5) and they are releasing them within a year apart, then it MIGHT not be so bad. However, I'm still not liking this at all.

Xater

This better not be a real sequel, because that would be really lame. Move to forward to another time period and new location!

Althoran

So this could be AC2: Rome or DLC? Sounds good to me either way. I loved AC2.
But I hear some great ideas here about AC-style games in other eras and places.
Hopefully someone from Ubisoft reads this thread and uses those ideas to make some great games.

Althoran said:
So this could be AC2: Rome or DLC? Sounds good to me either way. I loved AC2.
But I hear some great ideas here about AC-style games in other eras and places.
Hopefully someone from Ubisoft reads this thread and uses those ideas to make some great games.
This is what I'm thinking. It can't possibly be the real AC3 since that doesn't make any sense for the main story. In the eyes of the higher powers Ezio has served his role, he is of no importance anymore for the main quest that lies before Desmond. The real AC3 should be further along in the future in a different time and place and not with Ezio, but another ancestor.

This is more likely just a cash in because the theme and setting of AC2 were a great succes and they've got all these assets ready, so why not make a full game out of it instead of an expansion pack.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
TehSw1tch said:
I was really, really really hoping for London, at the dawn of the industrial age...

But this is cool too.
I like this idea.

Lionheart1827 said:
I totally feel the same way. AC2s settings and characters were awesome, but if they are just setting AC3 in rome, come on. If this is DLC then hell yeah! If its just a side game to AC2 then hell yeah! But I was really hoping for a new time period and locale rather than italy again. If the very very beginning of AC3 takes the role of ezio in rome and then later on the majority of the game is set in a new time period and character, that would work well.

And to the people hoping for a WW2 setting, forget it. I believe they already have said they will not bring the setting to that period.

EDIT-Just saw that thread on Ubisoft releasing franchise titles every 12-18 months. If AC3 is the last in the series than I hope its not all set in italy. However, if they are planning lots of main sequels(like AC4/5) and they are releasing them within a year apart, then it MIGHT not be so bad. However, I'm still not liking this at all.

And this, except for their releasing a title every year. Great way to Tomb Raider your flagship franchise.

ymmv

Banned
There are a lot more interesting time periods. What about 17th century France, the time of the Three Musketeers? I'd love to climb the Notre Dame and Sacre-Coeur or explore Versailles...

Xater

Stumpokapow said:
I suspect it's the game, the current DLC, and the upcoming DLC.

No that's not even the DLC. Plazzo de Medici was a pre-order bonus in the US. It's just an edition with 2 bonus missions and a DVD with the short films they did before release. Basically another cash grab.

Xater

ymmv said:
There are a lot more interesting time periods. What about 17th century France, the time of the Three Musketeers? I'd love to climb the Notre Dame and Sacre-Coeur or explore Versailles...

I liked the French Revolution rumor...

hamchan

Since everyone else has said it I'll say it too; this probably isn't Assassin's Creed 3 but AC2-2. I feel an AC2-2 is rather unnecessary. AC2 pretty much ended perfectly in regards to Ezio's story, I have no desire to find out what happens after.

hamchan said:
Since everyone else has said it I'll say it too; this probably isn't Assassin's Creed 3 but AC2-2. I feel an AC2-2 is rather unnecessary. AC2 pretty much ended perfectly in regards to Ezio's story, I have no desire to find out what happens after.

I agree, and honestly they could easily fit in some other stuff about Ezio in AC3 like what they did with AC2 and Altair with minimal effort.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Also worth noting that AC2 was made by 4 studios. It's fairly logical that if Ubisoft wants to have annual or 18 months periods for new AC games, they'd put some of the junior studios on AC2-2 (keep the existing AC assets) and move the senior studios and design people over to AC3. When AC2-2 is done, bring the junior studios on to provide more man-hours for AC3.

Actually, that honestly seems like a healthier setup than the Infinity Ward / Treyarch setup that Activision has going on.

cabottemp

Banned
Billy Mitchell said:
hopefully in AC3 they can make it so that Trophies work correctly on the PS3 version. The darn trophy bug kept me from a platinum and i am not going to go through the game again :(

what trophy bug is this?

ymmv

Banned
cabot said:
what trophy bug is this?

The game sometimes doesn't award trophies. It's happened to me, too. I've completed the game and maxed out the value of my house, yet I didn't get the trophy for finishing a DNA memory, the Art Connoisseur trophy and the Podestà of Monteriggioni trophy. Since you don't have multiple games saves in the game, I'd have to replay about 60% of the game in order to get the missing trophies.

TehSw1tch

Banned
Jack The Ripper will allow players to jump into the shoes of the legendary murderer, but with a different perspective. Jack actually hunts down evil demons living inside human souls, with a variety of over the top weapons and slow-mo "bullet time".

Never forget.

ymmv said:

This.

Or in the 18th century during the French Revolution like rumour (aka Pachter) suggested. Heck, I wouldn't have minded if the producers decided there were Japanese roots somewhere in Desmond's family tree and took the game to Japan during the Sengoku period ("Ninja" Assassin's Creed).

Italy though, that's so last year.:p Oh well, at least they'll be able to reuse all their old art assets.

Gorgon

MYE said:
I've asking for a good Jack the Ripper game for YEARS.
The setting and atmosphere would be amazing if done right.
a1ikg4.jpg

*drools

I'd buy that. Victorian Age is criminaly under-represented in games.

And yes, I know Visceral Games is making The Ripper, but the keyword here is good game.:lol

Jin

Nice.

I just finish watching the entire Rome series and was hoping a game was set in Ancient Rome.

Meh. I was looking for a 16th century Feudal Japan or Ming dynasty China setting. Ubisoft wants to milk Ezio and Italy now for all its worth. Ezio's character arc and story is complete. What else is there to explore? Kinda disappointed.

Gorgon

Hadoken said:
Nice.

I just finish watching the entire Rome series and was hoping a game was set in Ancient Rome.

Yes, but the game will be set during the same time period as Ass Creed 2, not Ancient Rome, so you're still out of luck.

Kuraudo

Banned
Gorgon said:
Yes, but the game will be set during the same time period as Ass Creed 2, not Ancient Rome, so you're still out of luck.

Unless Ezio finds an animus from Eden, enters it, and becomes one of his Roman ancestors.

Groupthink said:
This.

Or in the 18th century during the French Revolution like rumour (aka Pachter) suggested. Heck, I wouldn't have minded if the producers decided there were Japanese roots somewhere in Desmond's family tree and took the game to Japan during the Sengoku period ("Ninja" Assassin's Creed).

Italy though, that's so last year.:p Oh well, at least they'll be able to reuse all their old art assets.

If they do Japan, I hope it's set at the fall of the tokugawa government and the start of the meji era.

Western influences (like christianity) entered Japan in that time-period.
It was a moment of great change (Desmond's ancestor could be behind it) influenced by assassinations and ruses.
It would be amazing.

If they want to stay in europe London or France sound about right.

Although I would get a kick if they used Belgium (or the Netherlands).
It would be great to visit Antwerp, Ghent or Bruges...

Top Bottom