• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Battlefront game may be PS2/PSP/Wii only

ROFLCOPTERS at people getting butthurt in the thread!

If you actually read it it states that it will get a PS2/PSP release only as a possibility as the PS3/360/PC/Wii versions are up in the air.

Doesn't bother me I may be it if it still turns out good. Being on the PS2 didn't make the previous Battlefronts shitty games.

KevinCow

Banned
Haunted said:
Holy shit that write-up makes Rebellion look like total assholes.

They knew someone else was working on HD versions of Battlefront III, but proceeded to negotiate behind FRD's backs with Lucasarts anyway, undercutting FDR with promises of lower development time and costs (using FDR's own assets for the pitch!) which they then couldn't deliver upon.

Total asshole move making them pretty much solely responsible for the current situation, if true. (Well, partial responsibility goes to Lucasarts for believing them and taking the offer even though they had a previous deal with FRD.)
Yeah. If all this is true, I hope the game fails miserably, because that's just bullshit.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Boerseun said:
Let's face it, Battlefront 3 on Wii/Ps2/Psp means more people will get to play it. And knowing Rebellion, it'll play well and we'll all be satisfied in the end.

Clearly this article is skewed against just such a positive outcome. Rebellion is made to look bad on purpose, and I doubt much of the story is objectively factual. No doubt the game wasn't anywhere near as far done at Free Radical as some have been lead to believe. And with the money coming from LucasArts, and considering what had already been invested, it was within their rights to shop around for a cheaper, more efficient developer, which they got in Rebellion.

The original source is a blog, for crying out loud! :lol

If the original source is to be ignored because its a blog then your entire counter argument right here (^) should be erased from existence for merely being a "forum post".

I also kinda doubt you've ever played a Battlefront game or a game by Rebellion before.

Shiggy

flabberghastly said:
If Free Radical is working on Battlefront 4, then I'll simply skip Battlefront 3. Now that Free Radical is owned by Crytek, perhaps we'll see Battlefront 4 accomplished with CryEngine 3. Do want.

they were already working on pre-production tasks for StarWars Battlefront IV

They sadly aren't working on it anymore now that they are Crytek UK.

Threi

notag
Flying_Phoenix said:
Ahh that's right. Anything that is on a platform that I don't spend the most time with sucks.
well yeah...it could have really been something great on PS3/360/PC. Putting it on those other systems is just a huge letdown IMO, PS3/360/PC are the ideal platforms for these types of games. PS3/360/PC have the better graphics, better controls, support for mods, and are not limited by being a closed platform.

CamHostage

Huh, that's completely the opposite of all the stories that peg Free Radical as botching the job. I wonder what percentage of either account is fact?

In any case, I wouldn't mind this PS2/PSP one if they treated it as another spinoff. I didn't really like Renegade Squadron because of poor graphics and performance, but having an online portable game is still a novel feature.

One question though: would the PS2 version be online? Are there still people playing PS2 games online?

itxaka

Defeatist
So Lucasarts took the project from FR (an awesome fps developer) and gave it to Rebellion and now Rebellion can't work out the 360/ps3/pc version because they presented Lucasarts with an impossible schedule and they believed them?

Sounds like something (stupid)Lucasarts will do actually. :lol

Honestly if they don't have the talent to develop the PCS360 versions right, I would rather they release the PS2PWii versions for now and wait until they can get a decent developer who can bring it in on time and under budget for the PCS360 version.

AniHawk said:
Sounds like LucasArts gets it.

Now if only everyone else would start making sense.

I know this is sarcasm, but I really don't think this was their intention when the game was pushed to Rebellion. Rebellion screwed over FRD, and they're probably too busy making AvP3 (which should be good, to their credit) to get it done in the timeframe the developers want.

Which is a shame, as releasing a multiplayer class-based shooter on the three platforms with the worst online infrastructure doesn't make a lick of sense.

Top Bottom