• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Car Game's official name is WRECKFEST

Portugeezer

2592040-4176321196-i07WN.gif

Lol looks fun. Is this on PC only?

Komo

Banned
I've been a supporter since it was first made available to pre-order, but I feel like its been in the same 'Alpha' state since development began, with little progress being made on the game itself.

Is it just me?

Or just Rekt
Nah, fuck shitty memes. Especially if a hashtag is involved.

Yes.

I've been a supporter since it was first made available to pre-order, but I feel like its been in the same 'Alpha' state since development began, with little progress being made on the game itself.

Is it just me?
I don't know, I'd like to think they supported it pretty well thus far. New tracks, new cars, redid the physics wholesale + improved controls, noticeable performance tweaks (allegedly), replay system and now the inclusion of online multiplayer. A lot of other Early Access games aren't nearly as thorough in comparison, even if Bugbear does take a few weeks to release a big new update.

syko de4d

Right now yes but it would be stupid not to release it at least on PS4 after its out of early access. But it can be a long time till its out and they have made a port.

Would be funny if PS4 people could join PC servers, its not that kind of game where you are better because of keyboard and mouse.

edit: did they ever said something about VR support? First person + wheel + VR could be funny xD

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I made a video of multiplayer racing.

It's fun, but still very rough. Driving is so so and performance sucks. But it has potential to become great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARKCLenmwis&feature=youtu.be

No rewind button?

This could be great or insanely frustrating. One random t-bone and you'd be screwed, no matter how well you'd been driving.

I wonder if they tweak the AI to encourage smash ups? Eg slow one of them down a little so they'll cross over just as another AI goes past? Or is it just completely random.

Denton

This game looks delicious. As a name I would prefer simple WRECKED, but Wreckfest is awesome/terrible too :)

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
Sick name. I'm so happy things worked out for Bugbear and they get to make their (and my) dream game.

syko de4d

bought it yesterday. Is a ton of fun. I hope they add a more fun race mode based on some stuff from the sneak peek 2.0 thing. Like Hammers or bumpers around the map, maybe even a mario kart like mode xD

But its already very funny, multiplayer only needs some more features. Better spectator mode and chat.

Played a few hours of multiplayer this weekend, first time I've touched the game in a long while. Still definitely an early access game but I had an absolute blast. If the server/lobby stuff can be made more robust and the game fills out with a good number of tracks and cars this could be huge.

Took a couple videos but the highlight is the crazy mid-air t-bone in the background at 1:45 in this one

nasanu

Banned
I find the game a little boring. It misses its own point. The cars are almost indestructible which is at total odds with the whole point of the game.

If you play the demolition derby there is zero strategy because everyone is almost invincible. Just get a ton of speed and hit someone. If the damage was realistic then you'd have a great game. You'd have to figure out ways of damaging others while keeping your own car intact. I don't understand why they don't do this, even in real life they have realistic damage, why is that too much for a game which is meant to be able to do what real life cant?

New blog post (first in over a month) has outlined a new update that'll be arriving this month. It won't include much content, but will include an overhauled engine including DX11 and redesigned tyre and suspension models;

A full changelist will be available with the update, but here are the most important changes:

• New simulator-grade physics engine with advanced tire and suspension geometry simulation.
  • New DirectX 11 rendering engine with realistic physically based materials and lighting.
  • 64-bit operating system support for optimal performance on modern computer systems.
  • Hardware MSAA anti-aliasing with advanced foliage transparency antialiasing.
  • Dedicated server for optimized multiplayer performance with command-line and remote configuration features.
  • Steam leaderboards and player statistics for tracking and comparing performance with other players.
  • Support for changing the track and the car in lobby as well as adding bots to multiplayer events.
  • New game modes Team Race and Elimination Race, guaranteed to provide explosive racing action for 2-4 teams.
  • One new track and another one completely overhauled.
  • Two new cars, an American and a European one.

screenshot202506.jpg

http://nextcargame.com/wreckfest-gets-more-punch-under-the-hood-update-coming-soon/

bee

will test properly later (right click, run dx11/64 bit btw) but initial impressions are thank fuck for anti aliasing (msaa) put that on lowest and foliage aa on and the game looks much much better, this is at 4k

syko de4d

cool, some impressions already? Download will take some time for me

edit: when i read the steam forum the update sounds really bad :(

bee

i dunno what to say on the forum posts, my experience is that the game looks a damn sight better with proper anti aliasing and it runs as good as the old engine or better whilst doing this. the handling, is too early to comment, although there seems to be far too many uncatchable spins

TJP

You can read through the community reactions here: http://community.bugbeargames.com/index.php/topic,7700.0.html and here: https://www.reddit.com/r/simracing/comments/3boic0/you_know_that_update_for_next_car_game_wreckfest/

Edit: nice summation - "Judging from what I'm reading around, BB messed up quite badly in this update. An hotfix tomorrow, or see you in 9 months?" and the response from BB - "Thanks for all the feedback, guys, we're take a close look at it and see how we could improve the experience. We realize it's been a shaky start for the engine update, but things will get better - your feedback is crucial."

bee

the start grid is one of the worst places for performance, this is 4k, max settings, lowest aa + foliage. i see what they're saying about performance but my game runs better than before, not convinced on the handling physics though sure

SmokyDave

Huh, I could've sworn I played this yesterday and I didn't notice an update. Mind you, I might've just played the tech preview since that's my main squeeze.

I'll check again tonight and see how the new version goes. I am deeply enamoured with this game. The first time I saw 24 cars pile into a debris-laden corner, I was in love.

derFeef

imo it looks a little worse, as in lighting is missing, just something is off. Performance is really bad for me sadly, especially with cars in view. Handling feels solid, though I wish it had a more heightened 3rd person camera view as an option.

Yudoken

No PS4 version?

Dude. that game is still in early access and even powerful pc's struggling to keep it stable 60 with high settings at all the different tracks and stages with a lot of course on.
The game has to be finished and then MAYBE there will be a console version.
I don't wanna even imagine how it looks/runs on PS4...
To the update I don't know why but I don't see any spectacular deformation and crashes anymore, hopefully they will fix it soon.
Also I would love to see DX12 version and official SLI support (but it will probably take some time until it's official working).

EGOMON

Dude. that game is still in early access and even powerful pc's struggling to keep it stable 60 with high settings at all the different tracks and stages with a lot of course on.
The game has to be finished and then MAYBE there will be a console version.
I don't wanna even imagine how it looks/runs on PS4...
To the update I don't know why but I don't see any spectacular deformation and crashes anymore, hopefully they will fix it soon.
Also I would love to see DX12 version and official SLI support (but it will probably take some time until it's official working).
Oh alright thanks for the reply anyway

bee

so played for an hour or 2, definitely the destruction on the cars has been toned down or bugged, it's definitely darker and not lit as well as the old build (time of day issue?, default/bright day in weather option give the same look) the handling is fine imo, better than it was using a 360 pad and performance is better for me even though it using higher settings now

Vintage

Played a couple races with the latest update. Felt somewhat strange. Graphics look too clean, lighting's flat, less particles, I'm sure there's details missing from the track. The cars feel... weak? Picked a muscle car and there was absolutely no sense of speed or power. Damage model is toned down. Expected a FlatOut sequel from this game, so far it looks like it's going the opposite direction.

c0Zm1c

Just had an 18MB update download. Couldn't find any patch notes and can't see any difference in the game though (DX11 still crashes for me). It is a little disappointing that in the 17 months since I bought it development doesn't seem to have progressed much but I guess the new engine is still a work in progress so may end up looking/performing better than the previous one, eventually.

Top Bottom