• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Duke Nukem game by Interceptor Entertainment to be revealed in 25 days

tsumineko

wow what an idiot, i played duke 1 and 2 and your so fucking wrong. this is what the duke games originally looked like.

dukenukem1.jpg

then the developers decided to change the genre, add it strippers, ect then we got duke nukem 3d.

the franchise might as well be dead, now this other developer wants to change genre, add it elements not seen in the series before and its only now your butt hurt?

i don't know if its going to be as great as duke nukem 3d but its at least better than duke nukem forever

Your reply makes zero sense, are you sure you understood what we were talking about?

That stuff was outrageous at the time but ultimately was not what made Duke 3D so good.

For one thing, FPS games in the 90s were really limited by technology and Ken Silverman's Build engine was about as high-end as sector based engines ever became. Things we take for granted these days were revolutionary in Duke 3D. Sloped surfaces, rooms above rooms, and impressive sprite handling capabilities all came together to produce level design and visuals unlike anything else at the time.

All those weird little interactive bits and the more controversial stuff was definitely a big news item and received plenty of attention but I'm convinced that none of it would have mattered if the level design and game engine had been shit.

Of course, but you know... if we're discussing technical evolution... remember Quake came out in the same year... not to say Duke wasn't a step up, but...
However any of that is completely irrelevant to my post you quoted... do remember I was actually discussing something completely subjective, opinion on design of the characters and the world.

Your reply makes zero sense, are you sure you understood what we were talking about?

Of course, but you know... if we're discussing technical evolution... remember Quake came out in the same year... not to say Duke wasn't a step up, but...
However any of that is completely irrelevant to my post you quoted... do remember I was actually discussing something completely subjective, opinion on design of the characters and the world.

This is very true, the Build engine was the last of the line for 2D sector based engines, but it was also technically one of the best. The build Engine used a lot of cheap tricks to achieve what it did, but it miraculously all worked. Even John Carmack said somewhere that he admired Ken Silverman's work on Build, but he also felt that the engine was being held together by bubble gum, scotch tape and rubber bands.

Ken Silverman is a pretty brilliant guy, but he never really perused polygon game engine development. Though, I remember seeing some early example of a polygon 3D engine from him that never made it too far in development, and he did create polymost for Build. Ken has always been more interested in experimenting with voxel engines and voxel modeling in general. Even Build supported voxels, Duke 3D didn't use them, but games like Shadow Warrior and Blood did for "3D sprites".

Quake on the other hand was at the forefront of new emerging technology for its time. It wasn't the first polygon 3D FPS (The Terminator Furureshock games predate it, for example) . But Quake did set a new standard with its polygon optimization techniques, light maps, online netcode and ushered in MiniGL, which was the first implementation of OpenGL for 3dfx and PowerVR era PC graphics cards.

Really, one was the best of the old outgoing tech, and the other was setting new standards for the future.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Imo Duke Nukem will never return to its greatness for the simple reason that times are changed, Duke Nukem was born in a era when people liked movies like Rambo and Terminator and it was a sort of parody of them, a modern Duke Nukem with the same philosophy of the old games should aim to Twilight and other similar movies where anemic and brainless teenagers take themselves too seriously... It would be very very sad imo.

Imo the only way for Duke Nukem to reach a piece of its past greatness is to leave the old jokes and to make fun of modern games like Call Of Duty, Assassin's Creed etc(other than being a good game obviously).

Imo Duke Nukem will never return to its greatness for the simple reason that times are changed, Duke Nukem was born in a era when people liked movies like Rambo and Terminator and it was a sort of parody of them, a modern Duke Nukem with the same philosophy of the old games should aim to Twilight and other similar movies where anemic and brainless teenagers take themselves too seriously... It would be very very sad imo.

Imo the only way for Duke Nukem to reach a piece of its past greatness is to leave the old jokes and to make fun of modern games like Call Of Duty, Assassin's Creed etc(other than being a good game obviously).

It did try that on Dead Space...
...and Halo too.

FYC

Banned
I'm surprised by some of the negative responses to ROTT/Interceptor. I mean, lack of quicksaves and poor optimization at launch blew, but besides that, I thought it was an excellent reimagining of the original.

Back on-topic, a Duke action RPG sounds...Weird, but whatever. I'm certainly interested at least.

Stitch

Gold Member
I mean, lack of quicksaves and poor optimization at launch blew, but besides that, I thought it was an excellent reimagining of the original.

I tried it a few weeks ago and the optimization still wasn't very good. That's kinda disappointing when the levels are small and ugly.

Loona

Since they're going for an RPG factor, I hope the writing takes somes cues from Manly Guys Doing Manly Things - have some affectionate fun with action stuff but don't completely degrade it.
Ditching the strippers and stuff like DNF's wall of tits and turd holding would be a good start, but what's wrong with a few pig cops?

LARD cops worked because they cloned UAC Sergeants into episode-relevant roadblocks for the player. I don't think they're so essential to the franchise that they need to stay, even if L.A. Meltdown's the episode everyone played on shareware.

Spaghetti

top down action rpg? duke nukem? okay! sure! yeah!

i can get behind this. duke as an fps is tainted by the stink of forever anyway.

just keep john st.john, alrighty?

Dark & gritty? Action RPG? Epic plot? Sounds awful. Duke should be off the wall, ridiculous and crazy, none of this dark RPG crap. I'm excited to see what they do with the IP but it doesn't sound promising.

Drencrom

I'm starting to believe it's alll a ruse to surprise us or whatever when they reveal it's a Duke Nukem game akin their Duke Nukem 3D remake (that never got released... fuck Gearbox.) Just look at their Rise of the Triad reboot, it really doesn't make sense that these guys that clearly love batshit insane shooters would make a gritty top-down RPG Duke Nukem game.

I want to believe it's all a ruse at least :/

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I'm starting to believe it's alll a ruse to surprise us or whatever when they reveal it's a Duke Nukem game akin their Duke Nukem 3D remake (that never got released... fuck Gearbox.) Just look at their Rise of the Triad reboot, it really doesn't make sense that these guys that clearly love batshit insane shooters would make a gritty top-down RPG Duke Nukem game.

I want to believe it's all a ruse at least :/

Well if there's someone who would do it to fuck with people it would be that boyo Dave Oshry :p

Ionic

I will grip to this theory completely until proven otherwise with gameplay footage. It's perfect.

Damn, this reads like a Zelda thread. Guys, why not wait and see until they've at least shown off some of the gameplay and story?

At the very least, I'm intrigued. Bring it on!

Not really Duke Nukem 3D had good gunplay and great level design. Guess what Duke Nukem Forever lacked.

PaulloDEC

What's with the modern day obsession of rebooting old entertainment franchises to be "dark and gritty"?

Is that what's happening?

Can't help but admire how little they apparently give a fuck about the Gearbox situation

I've gotta assume they've come to an agreement of some sort.

Looks like Bombshell.

Could be. Have we ever actually seen Bombshell, or has she always been an abandoned idea from earlier versions of released games?

PaulloDEC

Just in the DNF 1998 trailer, a 1999 PCG concept piece and in the deluxe edition of the DNF strategy guide. The trademarks are still active in 3DR and Interceptor's (SDN Invest) name.
BombshellA_zpsf9946707.jpg
180px-Bombshell_Concept_Art.jpg

http://forums.duke4.net/topic/7146-duke-nukem-mass-destruction/page__view__findpost__p__194929

Yeesh, hope they're not going near any of that. Well, the far right one is kinda neat. The others are pretty gross, though.

Ten minutes, y'all. Better tune into the stream too, stuff is starting to happen.

Mr. Tibbs

Yeesh, hope they're not going near any of that. Well, the far right one is kinda neat. The others are pretty gross, though.

Ten minutes, y'all. Better tune into the stream too, stuff is starting to happen.
That's kinda how I feel. Here's hoping it's a fresh start.

Top Bottom