• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Fatal Frame for the Wii!!

Ikael

I can't really give a too much elaborate opinion about fatal frame: The game scared the shit out of me so I couldn't play further than 1 hour. Then again, I am a coward when it comes to terror games in general.

However, lots of friends of mine are in love with the game. As far as I know:

- Its history is based on real facts: it revolves around old (and very, very gory) Japanese shinto rituals and a wealthy family that kept practicing them until the XIXth century in their huge mansion. The mansion still exist, and people say that it is haunted. However, haunted or not, several persons have already dissappeared there and the Japanese goverment have precinted the area. Spookie stuff.

- It has decent controls and an interesting game mechanic, even if it is not its strong point

- It is quite plot heavy, and it is quite intrincate and elaborate.

- It has a crapton of endings, which encourages replying in a bad way (you need to get most of the endings in order to understand just what the hell happened)

Linkhero1 said:
No craziness here. Just never played the game.

It's a lot cooler/scarier than it sounds.

I hate to be a dissenter, I like the Wii and I like Fatal Frame. But I'm not sold on this. It's interesting news to be sure but I need to see where they are going with this.

Acosta said:
And? Is going to be this way? each new game is going to be "one more for the wii" or "one more for HD consoles" like we were childs?.

And why so happy about it being developed for Grasshopper? what have done Grasshopper in their past titles that do you think is going to add to Fatal Frame?.

jrricky said:
Wii software = +1
GAF opposers = 0
:lol

Something about this thread...

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
cvxfreak said:
This is an interesting move. Didn't expect to see Fatal Frame on a Nintendo system.

Well, after Wii owners world wide embraced the awesomeness that is RE4:Wii, what choice did Tecmo have? :D

Phthisis

The original Fatal Frame was pretty scary, but as a survival horror game it was pretty average. The game wasn't compelling enough to make me care about the series to even look into 2 or 3.

Fatal Frame does seem like a good fit for Wii, though.

Can the new dev keep the game as scary as the originals though? That would be my question.

I take it the story for this one would be written by someone at Tecmo

Maztorre

Acosta said:
And why so happy about it being developed for Grasshopper? what have done Grasshopper in their past titles that do you think is going to add to Fatal Frame?.

I hope they do an awesome work, but they haven´t done anything like Fatal Frame before. I would adopt a "wait and see" approach.

As mentioned previously, they did Michigan: Report From Hell, a game where you play as a cameraman filming a supernatural event and are scored based on photographing horrific scenes. It's a lighthearted game compared to Fatal Frame (mostly due to the upskirt scenes and awful script), but still, it's as close a match as you'll get outside of the likes of Team Silent, but they were never in the running for this anyway.

I think this kind of developer/franchise crossover is a good thing anyway. Certainly the likes of Naughty Dog or Insomniac could actually do something progressive with 3D Sonic, and it still baffles me that Kojima never followed up on his claim to David Jaffe that the God of War team should do Castlevania.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Phthisis said:
The original Fatal Frame was pretty scary, but as a survival horror game it was pretty average. The game wasn't compelling enough to make me care about the series to even look into 2 or 3.
I felt 2 was better than 1, but 3 was a letdown. And since the stories are only vaguely related, it's not hard to pick one and just jump in.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
IAmtheFMan said:
EDIT: And this better not be just some Rygar-type situation with Wiimote control tacked on.

Grasshopper doesn't come off as the kind of studio you contact externally to do a port.

IzumiK

Banned
Phthisis said:

Fatal Frame does seem like a good fit for Wii, though.

You missed 2. The best one.

And I don't think Wiimote controls would bring anything to the table in terms of the genre. Better gameplay doesn't make things more scary. It actually does the opposite if you think about RE4. RE4 wasn't just the same scary as RE use to be.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Acosta said:
And? Is going to be this way? each new game is going to be "one more for the wii" or "one more for HD consoles" like we were childs?.

Yes each new game is going to be one more for the wii like we were childs.

And Grasshopper kicks much ass.

JDSN

Banned
ZealousD said:
Grasshopper doesn't come off as the kind of studio you contact externally to do a port.

Exactly, also, this is probably one of the three Wii games that Suda commented a while ago, which would mean this is a planned project instead of a quick port.

Acosta

Maztorre said:
As mentioned previously, they did Michigan: Report From Hell, a game where you play as a cameraman filming a supernatural event and are scored based on photographing horrific scenes. It's a lighthearted game compared to Fatal Frame (mostly due to the upskirt scenes and awful script), but still, it's as close a match as you'll get outside of the likes of Team Silent, but they were never in the running for this anyway.

I think this kind of developer/franchise crossover is a good thing anyway. Certainly the likes of Naughty Dog or Insomniac could actually do something progressive with 3D Sonic, and it still baffles me that Kojima never followed up on his claim to David Jaffe that the God of War team should do Castlevania.

As I said way before in this thread (hell people, read the thread, I do it) I have played Michigan, which gives me reason enough for not trusting Grasshopper immediately with this.

The only Grasshopper games I have not played that I know are The Silver Case and Flower, Sun and Rain. None of those titles has the tone of Fatal Frame or anything that could benefit the series. So I will wait and check what they manage to do, and I really hope it´s good as they are a really talented team.

sphinx

the piano man
so, it seems nintendo will get its silent hill killer (to call it somehow). Good news for them.

Now, if killer 7 was scary without even trying, this fatal frame will scare us all shitless.

I wonder why developers think that the wii strengths are precisely party-mini-games (you know them) and VERY dark, horror games (RE:UC, Manhunt 2, fatal frame... WTF )

its like the Wii is a Bipolar console, :lol.

Actually, to name your console "Wii" is already scary.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
sphinx said:
I wonder why developers think that the wii strengths are precisely party-mini-games (you know them) and VERY dark, horror games (RE:UC, Manhunt 2, fatal frame... WTF )
Survival horror mini-game collection confirmed?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I usually don't whine about the Wii hardware, but if there's any genre that benefits from improved graphics, it's the horror genre. And that's the reason why I find this news disappointing. Add to that my love for horror games, and Fatal Frame/Project Zero as one of my favorite series in the genre. I was really hoping to see what Fatal Frame could look like on 360/PS3. :/

But with how things are, perhaps I shouldn't complain too much. At least it's another horror game (there aren't that many around these days), and I was even beginning to doubt we would see another Fatal Frame game at all. And it's by Grasshopper, which is cool. :)

Saitou

Banned
HOLY FUCKING CRAP

NEW FATAL FRAME

FOR WII

BY GRASSHOPPER MANUFACTURE

Triple megaton of doom. I need to lay down a while.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Suda is going to do a Fatal Frame? Dear Lord, this will be twisted.

Severed penis ghosts shooting out self-referentially ironic Tarantino references and whatnot.

consoul

OMGaton

Fatal Frame. Wii. Grasshopper.

Holy freaking crap.

Between RE4Wii, Umbrella Chronicles and Fatal Frame, the Wii catalog is starting to get a nice dark edge to counter the rainbow-vomit mini-game plague. Oh, and let's not forget Sadness. :lol

Eteric Rice

I love how people come in here to bitch about the game not being on their HD console of choice.

Jeeze people, if the Wii doesn't get good games, you bitch. If it does get a good game, you bitch.

What the FUCK? : /

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
consoul said:
OMGaton

Fatal Frame. Wii. Grasshopper.

Holy freaking crap.

Between RE4Wii, Umbrella Chronicles and Fatal Frame, the Wii catalog is starting to get a nice dark edge to counter the rainbow-vomit mini-game plague. Oh, and let's not forget Manhunt 2.
Fixed, maybe the word kiddy will disappear this gen.

Phthisis

Eteric Rice said:
I love how people come in here to bitch about the game not being on their HD console of choice.

Jeeze people, if the Wii doesn't get good games, you bitch. If it does get a good game, you bitch.

What the FUCK? : /

Only one person has done that. No need for a freakout.

Saoh

Fatal Frame for Wii? whhhaaaaaaaatttttttttttt???????

by Grasshopper? whhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa??????

that is so awesome. i can't wait to see it :lol

mollipen

I love love love the Fatal Frame serious, and this news makes me... sad. Of course, I won't say much more than that, because lord almighty if somebody around here says that a game would be better off on a more powerful platform when it's scheduled for the Wii.

shidoshi said:
I love love love the Fatal Frame serious, and this news makes me... sad. Of course, I won't say much more than that, because lord almighty if somebody around here says that a game would be better off on a more powerful platform when it's scheduled for the Wii.

Dont worry.....its the same the other way too....

Varshes

shidoshi said:

First thing I thought.

Taking photographs of ghouls has been a part of Fatal Frame since day one, so motion controls certainly make sense for the series, but the last we heard about the next Fatal Frame seemed to have Microsoft and Sony's consoles in mind.

Wait, what? Have these guys ever taken a photo in their life? Motion control makes no sense whatsoever here.

mollipen

Bluemercury said:
Dont worry.....its the same the other way too....

If you mean the people who always jump in with "This should be on the Wii!" anytime a new PS3/Xbox 360 game is announced, I hate those people.

Bluemercury said:
For you guys wii should never exist right??its alright you can say it.....gently.....:lol

I love the Wii, and it certainly should exist, but I'm starting to hate how it is ending up with games that should be in beautiful HD with standard control on other consoles.

shidoshi said:

More like lord almighty if somebody around here says they wish a game was for Wii in a PS3/360 announcement thread. It goes both ways, guys. The moral is: crying is annoying and best left for separate threads or, preferably, the Backspace key.

Varshes

Bluemercury said:
For you guys wii should never exist right??its alright you can say it.....gently.....:lol

Nah, I own one. Just not something I'd want to play a game like Fatal Frame on.

IzumiK

Banned
Gokurakumaru said:
Wait, what? Have these guys ever taken a photo in their life? Motion control makes no sense whatsoever here.

Maybe the game will have a automatic weapon instead. I mean a camcorder. :lol

And the amount of shaking that happens will cause your health to drop.

shidoshi said:

I don't understand...if u liked this gen's FF game's I don't see how a Wii sequel could be dissapointing, seeing as how it'll look at the very least the same (but more than likely better) than the previous ones

Top Bottom