• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Gen Consoles 60FPS vs. 30FPS

Virex

Banned
With the next Xbox and PS5 coming in the near future and promising better graphics, 4K, 8K you fucking name it. Would your purchase change if 1 manufacturer made 60FPS mandatory for every game.

Would a 60FPS console in all games vs. slightly better graphics but 30FPS on most games change things for you? Which would you rather choose? Personally I care more about framerate and good game play rather than pretty graphics. Which console would you buy?

Otterz4Life

Most likely going Xbox because I’m deep in the ecosystem and they have a good track record with backward compatibility.

Not sure how Sony or MS would “force” devs into 60fps. That would probably be a bad idea.

Fake

Again, its up to the devs. Of course 60 is better than 30, but still 30 stable games should be fine.
Besides, RT will eat alive any game thats for sure.

Reactions: Fbh

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If given the choice I will always go with 60FPS but like said this before developers will take that extra power for more detailed models, bigger open world and other extra crap like ray tracing and other graphical feature. At end of the day those things are much easier to market than higher FPS.

nkarafo

That's why i use a PC instead of a console. Because you can balance the GFX/FPS ratio as you like, depending on your system and your display. For instance, i have a middle of the road PC and i can't run The Witcher 3 @ 60fps / Ultra so i can choose to lock it at 30, 40 or 50 fps since i have a 240hz monitor so 40fps is evenly distributed, plus a TV that supports 50hz so all these options are viable for me. Or i can just use 60 fps with more cuts. I also have the option to run games at 80 or 120 fps if they are not very demanding, like how i played Bloodstained at 120fps and enjoyed the crystal clear (almost CRT quality) side scrolling with minimal ghosting/motion blur.

With consoles i would never have all these options my monitor/TV provide. Sure there are a few games that give you a 60fps option if you have the Pro/X variants. But even with these consoles the games that let you do this are rare. And i don't think this will ever change with fixed hardware consoles.

JordanN

Banned
Consoles haven't been 60fps since the SNES/Genesis.

Ever since games moved onto 3D graphics, developers always sacrifice frame rate for more shinier effects instead.

I just buy most of my multiplats on PC since you are given a choice on this. Console games wont change for a long time.

PocoJoe

Banned
Nope, doesnt matter.

Playstation is the only choise, even if it would be weaker + more expensive.

Xboxs have no exclusives of my taste, and their controllers sucks too badly(hate their stick placement) and also xbox is so unpopular here at Finland that it is not interesting.

I would rather take 1080p and either stable 30 with ultra graphics or 60 with less.

4K is waste of resources, i still play on 1080p.

I would switch to whoever mandates 60FPS if I was still heavily into consoles, sure. The way it stands right now I most likely won't be buying either console - Microsoft's biggest stuff is all on PC and nothing from Sony really interests me.

Romulus

That's why i use a PC instead of a console. Because you can balance the GFX/FPS ratio as you like, depending on your system and your display. For instance, i have a middle of the road PC and i can't run The Witcher 3 @ 60fps / Ultra so i can choose to lock it at 30, 40 or 50 fps since i have a 240hz monitor so 40fps is evenly distributed, plus a TV that supports 50hz so all these options are viable for me. Or i can just use 60 fps with more cuts. I also have the option to run games at 80 or 120 fps if they are not very demanding, like how i played Bloodstained at 120fps and enjoyed the crystal clear (almost CRT quality) side scrolling with minimal ghosting/motion blur.

With consoles i would never have all these options my monitor/TV provide. Sure there are a few games that give you a 60fps option if you have the Pro/X variants. But even with these consoles the games that let you do this are rare. And i don't think this will ever change with fixed hardware consoles.

Not sure why PC gaming is relevant here, I also have a middle ground PC and everyone on this forum understands we can customize settings.
Not being rude, it's just very common knowledge even in a console thread.

Last edited:
Consoles haven't been 60fps since the SNES/Genesis.

Ever since games moved onto 3D graphics, developers always sacrifice frame rate for more shinier effects instead.

Well, that's not necessarily true. I could give plenty of examples of console games that ran at 60fps since those...on Saturn, Dreamcast, GameCube, PS2, Xbox 360. It's not so much the question of a machine's capability, but the priority of developers. And yeah, in most cases they want to "show off" which may result in sub-par frame rates.

Boss Mog

I'm pretty sure next gen consoles will give people more options in terms of resolution and framerate. I prefer 60fps, even if I have to play in 1080p, other people prefer higher res at 30fps, so giving people options makes the most sense and some games have already done this, this gen.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'm afraid the emphasis on streaming will make framerate (and input latency) a lower priority on consoles. I hope I am proven wrong.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Personally, I hope the consoles fully embrace HDMI 2.1 and have an unlocked framerate.

But Im one of the few who favors resolution over framerate. Although, I would probably I would probably take 1440p-1620p/60fps over 4K/30fps. 1440p with good anti-aliasing looks pretty close to 4K in my eyes. But if 1080p is the only way to get 60fps then fuck that.

Last edited:
V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
Graphics at this point are good enough anyway. 1080p is totally fine and there are a lot of really fun games which run at lower resolutions. 60 fps and 1080 would easily be the top choice for me.

jadefire66

But how you gonna have muh cinematic experience at 60 FPS? The lower the framerate, the more cinema
SUHoLx5.gif

JordanN

Banned
Well, that's not necessarily true. I could give plenty of examples of console games that ran at 60fps since those...on Saturn, Dreamcast, GameCube, PS2, Xbox 360. It's not so much the question of a machine's capability, but the priority of developers. And yeah, in most cases they want to "show off" which may result in sub-par frame rates.
But that's the point about how the switch to 3D graphics meant developers almost always sacrifice frame rate first.

In the SNES/Genesis days that was completely unheard of. Instead, you got "slow downs" because there was too much gameplay on screen, but you still had all games across the board running at 60fps.

When the PS1/N64 dropped, the shift to 3D polygons completely changed that. Most gameplay took a backseat so developers could fill it with prettier graphics instead. This caught on and only the PC space remains the last place for 60fps as a [consistent] option.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

The difference between 4k and 1080p is not very noticeable unless you have a gigantic TV. My tv is about 50 inches and unless I press my face on the TV I don't notice a difference, especially not during gameplay. I do, however, immediately notice frame drops so I want stable 60fps as a standart, graphics are good enough already.

Foxbat

Banned
Multiplats will go either way depending on what they're going for.

I expect almost all of the Xbox exclusives to be 60fps. Their mainline franchises have all been 60fps for awhile now I believe.

I expect most of the PS5 exclusives to be 30fps because of the "cinematic" aspect, and all that jazz.

Kenpachii

1080p 144hz by far.
after that 1080p 60 fps maximum visuals
I couldn't care less about higher resolutions, no hardware to boot it.

Myths

Depends on the game and the direction. The more realistic (or photorealistic) it wants to be, the more 30 FPS makes sense for cinematic presentation. If mechanics and precision are at the core, 60+ matters a lot...

To give a hard answer, I’d rather 60 FPS with the option to adjust or limit the FPS for presentation (if I wanted).

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The difference between 4k and 1080p is not very noticeable unless you have a gigantic TV. My tv is about 50 inches and unless I press my face on the TV I don't notice a difference, especially not during gameplay. I do, however, immediately notice frame drops so I want stable 60fps as a standart, graphics are good enough already.
Bullshit. Anyone who says this needs to book an appointment with the eye doctor immediately.

The difference between a game at 4K and 1080p is night and day obvious.

Heck even on a 13.3 display I can tell the difference, although at size I wouldn’t pay the premium over 1080p,

I have no issue with anyone who says they are OK with 1080p, but saying that most can’t tell the difference is not true.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Bullshit. Anyone who says this needs to book an appointment with the eye doctor immediately.

Heck even on a 13.3 display I can tell the difference, although at size I wouldn’t pay the premium over 1080p,

I have no issue with anyone who says they are OK with 1080p, but saying that most can’t tell the difference is not true.
I think he means it's not as bigger jump compare to SD to HD. I have $300 43 inch 4K TV and in all honestly the difference is not that huge.

If one of them made a mandate for all their games to have a 60 fps option and everything else like the power and OS features were similar then yes I would buy my multiplats on that system.

Mista

Banned
Problem is I am afraid 60 fps isnt a huge selling point where as being able to slap that 8K sticker on the box is.
It isn’t. Not to the plenty of casuals out there that gets consoles for the a game or two. Graphics will always be the selling point unfortunately

xool

4k looks better/sharper sure.

But all those people who sat so far away from Witcher 3 etc they couldn't read the text.. I wonder how much difference there is at that distance. Plus factor in (or more accurately - subtract) the 4k texture effect, which still gives benefits at 1080p.

mcz117chief

I have 1 and 1,5 diopter and the differences are small unless I am pixel hunting.

SantaC

judging by those early specs, I am surprised if devs will have a problem getting 60 fps out there.

xool

I have 1 and 1,5 diopter and the differences are small unless I am pixel hunting.

ianad but - this image can help :

9ldIyaz.png

First of all set browser scaling to 100% (normal) if you fiddled with it. Also mobile scaling might mess with this test...

See the bottom two images - they're checkerboards just like the upper images. Bottom right should be displayed at the screen's resolution limit (ie pixel size is 1x1)

Now step slowly away from the keyboard screen

..find the distance at which both bottom images look grey (with no texture) (might be slightly different shades because gamma, or something, but shouldn't be) .. beyond that distance the resolution of the screen is being 'wasted'.

Right now on a 23" monitor that distance is 1.5-2m for me (that's matches the theoretical distance of ~ 1.8m so my optician isn't ripping me off)

As a rough figure = multiply the pixel size by 7000 to get the max distance from the screen to sit - ie 1080p screen, 28cm screen height = 28/1080pixels x 7000 = ~180cm ..

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Would your purchase change if 1 manufacturer made 60FPS mandatory for every game.

This would be a horrible thing to enforce. There are plenty of games do not need that level of framerate and would be sacrificing other aspects just to ensure this mandatory checkbox is selected.

Top Bottom