• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen consoles, no thanks

spons

Gold Member
I'll stick with PC for the time being. All Xbox titles, some good traditional PlayStation games, indies and a bunch of exclusives.

The entire PS5 showcase just solidified it for me, with multiple games having a big fat asterisk on them "ALSO ON PC", and some that were shown were full-blown third-party. There was almost zero talk about backwards compatibility, while I can launch older games no problem on Windows, which is something I do on the regular.

It's not even that this console generation is bad in any sense, but with so many of Microsoft's and Sony's traditional titles coming to PC, I see no reason to get a next-gen console. What do you guys think?

Codes 208

Nintendo + PC is likely going to be my set up for awhile. Nearly everything my xbox can do my pc can do better and with DS:R coming to pc, there goes the biggest reason I wanted a ps5 so lol thanks for saving me some money Sony.

Barakov

56252.jpg

I'm on the fence.

I've always bought Playstation consoles around launch day, but we'll see. I feel like im getting one for the sake of wanting one, and not entirely because there's any game that has convinced me to make the leap.

I've got a PC and a PS4 with a huge backlog, I think i'll survive not buying it.

I think.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Unless you are a diehard console fan, just wait it out for a few years. Not only will the console be $50-100 cheaper, but they might throw in some pack in games.

The majority of MS and Sony launch games are multiplatform on PC or current Xbox and PS systems. You won't get the big cheese exclusives until maybe 2022.

Don'y believe any of that "coming in 2021". That's BS half the time enticing gamers to hook in. They know exactly if it's a 2021 or longer game.

And given Sony and MS stance on PC games lately, they'll probably come out for PC anyway.

Last edited:

Leonidas

Agreed, PC seems to be the best option. I'm glad I'll be able to play all the Xbox and most of the third party PS5 "exclusives". I'll keep my One X for BC and I'll evaluate in 3-4 years if Sony released enough PS5 exclusives that didn't come to PC to make it worth my while for a console, hopefully at that point if the answer is yes they'll have also released a decently powered enhanced console.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Yeah I ain't seeing any reason to get either console... All the games I wanna play are coming to PC.

That new Harry potter game is coming to PC. Demon's Souls is coming to PC. Horizon Forbidden West is likely coming to PC at some point. Halo is coming to PC. Forza will be on PC.

Both Xbox and PS5 here are £449.

Shiiit I can buy an RTX 3080 for £415...tomorrow!

Yeah I ain't seeing any reason to get either console... All the games I wanna play are coming to PC.

That new Harry potter game is coming to PC. Demon's Souls is coming to PC. Horizon Forbidden West is likely coming to PC at some point. Halo is coming to PC. Forza will be on PC.

Both Xbox and PS5 here are £449.

Shiiit I can buy an RTX 3080 for £415...tomorrow!
Rtx 3080 plus all the other shit.

Then there's fucking about with windows and installs and firmware and all sorts of shit. Console is convenient. Slap a game in, off ya go.

If I could build a pc without the bloatware of Windows, I would.

Alphagear

Yes why spend 400 dollars when I can spend 1500 dollars to play the same games.

PC guys and their self importance.

The PC market is no threat to the console market. Never was and never will be.

Last edited:

Vasto

I will upgrading my PC too but it wont be a GPU or CPU. I am upgrading all the fans to ring rgb style for the bling effect. :messenger_ok:

Series X, Windows PC and X Cloud all powered by Game Pass. :messenger_savoring:

Last edited:
Who in here remembers for months on end, that PC gamers were getting screwed with "next gen". So many naysayers claiming that, "PC I/O is too slow, Vram is better than DDR4 + Vram, UE5 will look worse on PC, etc"

This is them now.

I still have to finish Tropical Freeze time trials, S+ ranks on Astral Chain, and my first Dark Souls run before I'm letting myself start Bayonetta2, Okami, D.Dogma, or Devil May Cry collection

Im also looking down the barrel of Hyrule Warriors:CG, Ninja Gaiden collection, and Bayonetta3...and maybe RPG some xeno2 or DWXI...not sure if I care about FF

I'm sold on PS5, but there's no rush lol.

ripeavocado

Banned
These are the weakest next gen consoles that I can remember and I mean weak on every level: hardware, exclusives, innovation.

The solution is not the PC, it has always been there and will always be limited by consoles as long as they exist, PC is the safeboat from this disaster of a Next-Generation.

Elcid

Banned
Okay? As a fellow PC boy I can say you’re missing out. Dat suspend and resume plus dem sweet sweet loading times gone fuck my PC.

DESTROYA

Next gen consoles never have too much value day one unless you absolutely have to have the latest and greatest.
It all changes in year 2-3 for the better

PC is such a pain in the ass for gaming.

time to fire up the mainframe, sweep the mountain dew cans aside and find the three programs I need to get my dual shock working

i only need 30 minutes to tweak video settings, and I will get a vsync line through the middle of the screen regardless...FINALLY, I can stop playing after 10 minutes

don't forget to login to the interweb and say some racist shit like i am pc master race

/pcgamer

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I'll stick with PC for the time being. All Xbox titles, some good traditional PlayStation games, indies and a bunch of exclusives.

The entire PS5 showcase just solidified it for me, with multiple games having a big fat asterisk on them "ALSO ON PC", and some that were shown were full-blown third-party. There was almost zero talk about backwards compatibility, while I can launch older games no problem on Windows, which is something I do on the regular.

It's not even that this console generation is bad in any sense, but with so many of Microsoft's and Sony's traditional titles coming to PC, I see no reason to get a next-gen console. What do you guys think?
Didn't Sony just show like 20 ps4 games you will be able to play at launch on ps5 if your a ps+ subscriber? I know it's not an explicit message, but it basically confirms what they previously said about 99% of the ps4 library being playable on the ps5. What else did you expect to hear about backwards compatibility?

With regards to Sony's traditional titles coming to PC have any others been announced? I thought it was just Horizon ZD so far, with a desire to bring more over time. I feel like people are assuming that first party titles are going to launch simultaneously on console and pc when it seems like the pc will lag significantly. Probably the only reason death stranding came out more quickly is because it was a third party game that Sony didn't publish for PC. I bet if they owned that ip, it would have taken over a year before they considered a port.

Elcid

Banned
time to fire up the mainframe, sweep the mountain dew cans aside and find the three programs I need to get my dual shock working

i only need 30 minutes to tweak video settings, and I will get a vsync line through the middle of the screen regardless...FINALLY, I can stop playing after 10 minutes

don't forget to login to the interweb and say some racist shit like i am pc master race

/pcgamer
He ain’t wrong though. Depending on the title this shit happens.

He ain’t wrong though. Depending on the title this shit happens.

i learned the format command on my daddy's IBM compat back in 86...he was super happy

play the PC card all you want, I was probably setting IRQ pins before many of you were born

pc gaming has ALWAYS been a pain in the ass

Elcid

Banned
i learned the format command on my daddy's IBM compat back in 86...he was super happy

play the PC card all you want, I was probably setting IRQ pins before many of you were born

pc gaming has ALWAYS been a pain in the ass
Only thing I will give PC gaming, is mods for certain games. In general I prefer console.

it's fine, i still have doom eternal to finish on mine, but pc gaming is a PITA, and pc gamers are mostly insufferable (not you guys tho, ur cool lol)

consoles just work when i want to put in a game and play

i was just agreeing with the above post and got carried away lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom