• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Gen Consoles should be named Xbox V and PS5 respectively.

Do you like the names Super Nintendo Switch (SNS), PS5 and Xbox V (XBV)?

• Yes, I like all three names

Votes: 24 34.3%
  • I dislike all three names

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • I dislike the Xbox V name

Votes: 29 41.4%
  • I dislike the Super Nintendo Switch name

Votes: 10 14.3%

• Total voters

Ar¢tos

Well, they don't appear to have changed. They're on a roll with their latest Xbox One SAD.
Did nobody really noticed that at MS offices? It's like there is no afterthought, sounds good, done, don't think about it anymore.

They will either pick a random word or name it after the first they see at the time.
I wouldn't be surprised if they named it Xbox Stapler or Xbox Paperclip.

Or they do a trend word search and use one of them, Xbox Bae, Xbox Yaas or Xbox Bye Felicia.
I don't see anything wrong with numbering things (1,2,3,4,etc), I don't understand their obsession with weird names (Nintendo can be excused, they live in la la land)

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ
Yeah I've a terrible feeling the Xbox One name is here to stay.

According to Brad Sams, internally the code names for two next Xbox consoles are Scarlett Arcade (base model) and Scarlett Pro (high end model).

I would not be surprised at all if they wind up being called Xbox One Arcade and Xbox One Pro.

On the other hand MS and Apple both seem to like using S/X and to define their products, look at iPhone mess of names with iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XR so it could be Xbox One XR or something along those lines.

Or do something else Apple likes to do now and then is drop any extra identifiers and just called iPad or AppleTV despite numerous prior versions, MS could wind up simply calling them Xbox Arcade and Xbox Pro.

odhiex

Technically the next generation XBOX is the fifth model based on hardware specs alone. See below.

1. XBOX (original)
2. XBOX 360
3. XBOX One
4. XBOX One X

5. XBOX “5th gen” 2020

It could be marketed as the XBOX V / 5 easily.

Sony should have marketed the PS4 pro as the PS5, then the next one could be marketed as the PS6 easily.

I think it will be:

PS5 (I don't expect a surprise there)

And for the Xbox it will be

Xbox A (for apologize)
Or
XboxPR (because PR is all they really do, talk is cheap)

Banned
unbenannt1pk2y.png

🤔:pie_thinking:🤔:pie_thinking:🤔:pie_thinking:🤔

Iced Arcade

we are never going to guess the next xbox. like the last 2 gens they probably have a whole team of yuppy marketing wigs coming up with some weird deep marketing meaning. people will lose minds and then it will just be normal after a year lol

TLZ

Banned
Either stick to Xbox Two and keep the current numbering going, or just drop it all together and stick to cool names because you fd up all your numberings from the start.

And please don't just call it Xbox. The OG will be in serious confusion again. It already was calling this gen Xbox One. Have some people with common sense in your office so the naming this time, please.

I wouldn't mind any of the current project names even.

demigod

My personal prediction is that the next xbox will be called Xbox Infinite.

Sony will obviously keep the tradition with the regular numbered console - PlayStation 5. That's a no brainer.

Xbox OG, Xbox 360, Xbox 360S, Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Xbox One SAD, it only makes sense the next one will be Xbox 8. Turn the 8 and it'll be Xbox infinite. Infinite also means it'll be their last console and everything after will be from the cloud.

Braldryr

Banned
Xbox OG, Xbox 360, Xbox 360S, Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Xbox One SAD, it only makes sense the next one will be Xbox 8. Turn the 8 and it'll be Xbox infinite. Infinite also means it'll be their last console and everything after will be from the cloud.

Id have to agree and say that It's safe to assume that the next console generation is truly the last of console generations and from that point going forward they will just be updating their cloud servers with better hardware overtime and provide people with the latest technology at the most high end visual fidelity. Honestly, it makes sense it will save them a lot of money on manufacturing and instead let them spend more on making better internal hardware and R&D. It will also make deliver content to the consumers much faster and more convenient. Probably for the best.

Last edited:
So in the poll why is there an option to dislike the xbox and switch names specifically, but no option to dislike the PS5 name? I'm deeply upset. /s

Honestly, Microsoft needs to get away from the xbox one naming convention at all costs. It leaves a bad taste for gamers and Microsoft should be very careful not to pull a Wii U type scenario. They either need to continue the xbox 360 theme and go with 720, or do something entirely different and pick a name similar to their sku codenames. Anaconda, Scarlett, Scorpio would all be good names imo. Go that route. Xbox Honey Badger. Done.

We've already been through this.

If MS name it the Xbox V, some people will call it the Xbox V and others will call it the Xbox V. Then MS will chime in and correct people that it's not V it's V.

People will still say it wrong, though.

:)

LostDonkey

Technically it would be the fourth Xbox console, so Xbox IV.
I mean technically, if you wanna get technical, i mean technically the DreamCast was the first Xbox. It ran a custom windows and Direct X so it was kinda the first Xbox before the first xbox.

Technically.

Banned
I mean technically, if you wanna get technical, i mean technically the DreamCast was the first Xbox. It ran a custom windows and Direct X so it was kinda the first Xbox before the first xbox.

Technically.

the Dreamcast did not run a custom Windows, third party games used Windows CE as an easy API. it was developed by Microsoft so third party developers could easily port games to the dreamcast and make developing dreamcast games more streamlined.

Sega and some third party devs on the other hand used Sega's in house API called "Katana" which was co-developed by Microsoft and Sega.

so there were basically 2 dev kits, one running Katana and the other one Windows CE.
the dreamcast itself didn't run Windows, the Windows API was on theg ame discs not the system

but I too always considered the Dreamcast to be part of the Xbox family... the Xbox was basically the Dreamcast 2, even the controller was a pretty straight forward evolution of the Dreamcast and Saturn 3D controllers
ontop of that, while Sega's arcade boards in the late 90s were based on the Dreamcast architecture (Naomi) the successor to the Naomi/Naomi 2 was the Chihiro, which was based on the Xbox architecture

Last edited:

LostDonkey

the Dreamcast did not run a custom Windows, third party games used Windows CE as an easy API. it was developed by Microsoft so third party developers could easily port games to the dreamcast and make developing dreamcast games more streamlined.

Sega and some third party devs on the other hand used Sega's in house API called "Katana" which was co-developed by Microsoft and Sega.

so there were basically 2 dev kits, one running Katana and the other one Windows CE.
the dreamcast itself didn't run Windows, the Windows API was on theg ame discs not the system

but I too always considered the Dreamcast to be part of the Xbox family... the Xbox was basically the Dreamcast 2, even the controller was a pretty straight forward evolution of the Dreamcast and Saturn 3D controllers
ontop of that, while Sega's arcade boards in the late 90s were based on the Dreamcast architecture (Naomi) the successor to the Naomi/Naomi 2 was the Chihiro, which was based on the Xbox architecture

You knew what I meant silly goose!

BlackTron

Xbox Infinite, just like the new Halo.

The infinite part would "fade out" and be inconsequential. Like how everyone referred to Genesis as the Sega.

X-Station Play Box

Personally I expect the following
Xbox C (Cloud Stick)
Xbox S (Lockhart)
Xbox X (Anaconda)

But I’ve always been prone to the idea of an Xbox Aura, thus giving the Xbox some sort of Ambient RGB lighting from under and behind the system.

Last edited:
Xbox 4 or IV would definitely be better than something like Xbox Two. Xbox 5 wouldn’t really make sense since they would only be on their 4th console. I understand what they were trying to do with Xbox One, but that name kind of strange or even confusing for a follow up console imho.

Last edited:
You guys all think too mainstream...ly…?

Why stick to the tired old "go up a number" naming method? Sony has this covered with their super creative naming mechanism for consoles and controllers.

My radical trend-setting idea? Microsoft needs to move up in letters!

I propose the next Xbox be called the YBOX!

giphy.gif

The advertising writes itself:

YBox? Because power of the cloud bitches! That's Y!

Seriously though, they should simply just call it the XBOX and leave it that way going forward.

sn0man

I like Xbox 5. I assume they won’t have a disc drive for some (all) SKUs. The discless ones can be the Xbox 5 All Digital. Feel free to abbreviate it as Xbox 5AD.

Seriously though: they’re trying to make game pass their new thing so they should call the next Xbox the “Xbox Live” and do a right turn on the other two consoles and give away multiplayer. I know they never would but it would confuse and shock the market in a good way.

Top Bottom