• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen cooling during these hot times.

Is you console quiet?

• PS5 remains silent

Votes: 128 69.9%
  • XSX/S remains silent

Votes: 87 47.5%
  • PS5 noticeably louder

Votes: 10 5.5%
  • XSX/S noticeably louder

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • PS4 Pro exploded

Votes: 18 9.8%

• Total voters

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Last year it was 107, 109, and 110 freedom units in August and I don't have AC. It was too hot to play a ton of videogames but the few times I did the Xbox didn't make any extra noise of suffer from any issues. Seemed entirely fine to me.
Man... that temperature and no A/C? Got to ask, whereabouts do you live? I've heard lots of folks in mountainous/higher elevation areas don't have A/C.

Lowland dweller here. Frequently gets above 100 where I'm at, heat index over 110 several days out of the year. A/C is pretty much necessary 😂

My room temperature is max 26 celsius. Even without air condition.

Don't you have any blinds?
Gaming is no problem at all on my PS5. To remove the annoying UFO buzz sounds I removed the shitty nidec fan and replaced it with a NMB fan. No overheating and no noise issues.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

It's not necessarily the summer, but I do notice that I thought my PS5 was completely quiet when I got it, then in the next few months with updates it seemed to ramp up the fan to a bit more audible.

I notice no difference in going into summer, just remained louder than I thought for the first few months, and I did check in side and it's still squeaky clean

My Nintendo 64 has been very quiet so far.

Nice, overclock that bitch

Last edited:

Valonquar

My PS5 is waaaaay more quiet than my PS4 Pro was. The Pro sounded like a damn hair dryer with any AAA title running. I tend to wear headphones while gaming so it wasn't that much of an issue, but it was noticeably loud, even with the AC on 68.

Last edited:

Rayderism

My PS5 is still silent, but I keep my house at 70 to 75F at all times.

My dustbuster of a PS4 Pro has been very quiet, but only because it's chilling in a closet.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
PS4/Pro owners:

Compressed air and new thermal paste are your friends
Is that really needed if I have AC in the games room?

I've cleaned my Pro a few times, but never bothered with the thermal paste. So far the only game that put it in jet engine mode was God of War, which is weird because later on I played RDR2 on the same console and it was much quietter.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
PS5 when loading up

jet engine GIF

The Fartist

Gold Member

I've cleaned my Pro a few times, but never bothered with the thermal paste. So far the only game that put it in jet engine mode was God of War, which is weird because later on I played RDR2 on the same console and it was much quietter.
The factory thermal paste dries out over time, so yeah, I would replace it ASAP, it will make a difference

Last edited:

TheUsual

Gold Member

I replaced the thermal paste and thermal pads on my OG ps4 pro as the fan on it started getting louder and louder overtime. It became whisper quiet after that and was well worth it.

EDIT: and I did live in an central air conditioned apartment as well.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The factory thermal paste dries out over time, so yeah, I would replace it ASAP, it will make a difference
It's been 5 or 6 years since I upgraded to the Pro model and I still want to play some games on that system so yeah, I'll have to look into it.

Thanks for the heads up bros The Fartist The Fartist TheUsual TheUsual

Last edited:

jm89

I just kept it off. My room is a heat trap and I'm not adding any more heat to it, to what is already a miserable experience.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
Basically : On winter game with a full fat gaming rig as a heater. Play the most demanding AAA games. In the summer, game on your phone (Xcloud or emulation) or something like a PS2.

PS4/Pro owners:

Compressed air and new thermal paste are your friends
If you have a release Pro this doesn't change much.

Send my pro to a repair Shop. They aplied new thermal paste and also thermal pads on the memory chips. They cleaned also the console and the end result was the console was only a little bit more silent.

Still a vacum cleaner during COD.

AGRacing

Gold Member
No issues with either now .. BUT I did self repair my Series X with a simple thermal paste change. It was overheating and shutting down during flight simulator. Has been perfect since.

I just got my PS5 two months ago, and it's running silent. But I have a beach house here in California, where it is currently 70*F degrees, when it's supposed to be 83 F degrees 5 miles inland from me. My PS5 is a million times quieter than my jet-engine screeching taking off PS4 Pro.

Last edited:

Aenima

I dont notice any diference in fan noise on my PS5 and my room is very hot during summer and very cold during winter. Cant hear the console during day time, and during night time i can only hear it if everething else is silent. Console gets much hotter to the touch during summer playing PS5 games, but fan keeps quiet and no signs during gameplay of overheating.

Bojji

Xbox is still super silent and PS5 is maybe slightly noiser than in colder months? Or maybe it's the same... I'm not sure.

ShakenG

Loudest sound i get from the PS5 is the disc drive when starting it up. if i dont have a disc in, it barely makes a sound. (Aus summer.)

At worst, a very mild coil whine when tv is muted or low volume. If fan sounds louder, i obviously haven't noticed it. Vacuum it at least once a month.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

Sleepwalker

I was in the coast of Colombia for about the last 8 months or so, median temperature about 30 celsius, sometimes closer to 40, both next gen consoles were fine. I did have AC but not on all the time.

I'm now in Canada and they are fine as well. (Yes I took them both)

I Master l

Banned
My XSX is silent even in summer but i noticed an audible fan noise when playing COD Vanguard Zombies,
No other game did that and i am not sure why

M1987

Not played on PS5 for a few days, but my Series x was silent. I don't think I have ever heard the xbox make any noise at all

Top Bottom