• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Gen FIFA 21 Screenshots reveal huge upgrade from current gen.

DonJorginho

Banned
Today EA Sports shared new screenshots from the upcoming next gen FIFA 21 that's pencilled to drop December 4th.

Most cross gen FIFA's haven't been too impressive for the first year but this looks to be a great opening to the new generation for all fans of EA's ever popular football franchise.

In the images below you can already see a massive increase from FIFA 21 on the PS4 Pro and One X.

Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool FC) left Xbox One X, right Xbox Series X.

EmehtdHXMAUpAUM

João Felix (Atletico Madrid) left PS4 Pro, right PS5.

EmehtO3XMAAbL09

Regardless of your thoughts on FIFA as a game series and EA as a company, it's safe to say for a first attempt on Next Gen the upgrade is substantial.

DonJorginho

Banned
The first comparison just looks like someone cranked up the contrast. But yeah, it's better I suppose.
I mean the skin textures and the hair looks massively improved from the plastic like current gen face models.

Hope it's the same in real time gameplay though.

DonJorginho

Banned
And yet we all play the game like this

960.jpg

Honestly PES and FIFA need to improve the game, and no matter how much the faces improve, it doesnt mean much when the celebrations still look like a bunch of mannequins bring selotaped together.

I think PES are on the right path with their move to Unreal Engine. Just hope it makes FIFA step up their game.

The celebrations are shocking, hopefully they can improve their motion capture tech with advancements in technology.

MrS

Banned
Doesn't look anywhere near as impressive as what 2K have achieved with NBA 2K 21. Would rather see improvements on the sticks than in the graphics department with FIFA. Gameplay has been the same old shite for a couple of years now because the success of FUT has made them lazy.

Last edited:

Dibils2k

faces is literally the last thing i care about

i wanna see how it looks in gameplay, are the ball physics, animation, collision, net physics all next gen leap

Reactions: TLZ

DonJorginho

Banned
Doesn't look anywhere near as impressive as what 2K have achieved with 2K NBA 21. Would rather see improvements on the sticks than in the graphics department with FIFA. Gameplay has been the same old shite for a couple of years now because the success of FUT has made them lazy.
Hoping for PES 2022 to blow FIFA out the water with their move to Unreal Engine.

And I agree with 2K looking better but it's a much easier game to render imo in terms of arenas, crowds etc.

Reactions: MrS

DonJorginho

Banned
faces is literally the last thing i care about

i wanna see how it looks in gameplay, are the ball physics, animation, collision, net physics all next gen leap
Same here, I want animations to receive a massive overhaul, but as someone who loves seeing new playerfaces added this is a nice upgrade.

sobaka770

Banned
I think PES are on the right path with their move to Unreal Engine. Just hope it makes FIFA step up their game.

The celebrations are shocking, hopefully they can improve their motion capture tech with advancements in technology.

FIFA is using goddamn Frostbite, that engine pumps out probably the best possible graphics out there. The only issue is that it has to run at 60FPS, 90% of the time your game is so zoomed out it doesn't matter how much detial there is and the core gameplay hasn't changed since circa 2003.
I hope improvements are not just graphics, there are plenty of things to improve in gameplay as well.

Looks better then I expected. For a free EA upgrade I was expecting, to be honest, a bit of an improvement to loading and some new lighting. Models look good. Hope there is some new off the ball animations, pointing to positions, wiping sweat, pulling up socks etc.

What the fuck am I saying...socks ffs....

DonJorginho

Banned
Looks better then I expected. For a free EA upgrade I was expecting, to be honest, a bit of an improvement to loading and some new lighting. Models look good. Hope there is some new off the ball animations, pointing to positions, wiping sweat, pulling up socks etc.

What the fuck am I saying...socks ffs....
Man imagine like dressing room cutscenes before the game, seeing Werner pull up his socks before obliterating Arsenal at the Emirates.

Glorious.

But this update is a welcome surprise, hoping the real time gameplay gets improvements too.

Clarissa

Banned
I remember playing Fifa 98 as a kid and my aunt was like OMG IS THIS REAL LIFE???? THIS IS REAL PEOPLE RIGHT??? HOW ARE YOU CONTROLLING REAL PEOPLE???

Gonna invite her to my house and show her FIFA 21 on the ps5.

Last edited:
Fifa has never had issues with game graphics. It's the funky physics and game play that lags behind PES for the last 3 iterations.
Each year PES pulls further ahead in the area that matters the most. Game PLAY.

DonJorginho

Banned
TAA model looks ridiculously good, holy shit.

If only FIFA wasn't such a painful game to play
Look absolutely insane, hoping they update the likes of Mane and Robertson to take advantage of this tech too.

Yeah FIFA has been pretty ass since FIFA 17 imo, but I am hoping with PES taking it more seriously with Next Gen for PES 2022 that FIFA up their game.

Thabass

I wouldn't say upgraded textures is a "huge upgrade", but the faces look pretty good. A huge upgrade to me would be playing the game in 4K 60 or 1440p at 144hz. That would be a bigger deal to me.

Either way, the texture upgrades look nice.

Top Bottom