• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen Intel Gaming NUC Leaked: 10nm. Highest x86 IPC. PCIe Gen4. Deep Learning. HDMI 2.1. Nvidia discrete GPU. RTX support. Vapor Chamber Cooling.

Leonidas

This could be an absolute game changer. NUCs have interested me before but I always held out because of previous graphics limitations.

csm_phantom1_0c18d6fe1a.jpg

Tiger Lake (Intel 10nm) is an evolved version of Ice Lake that will launch in 2020 and is the highest IPC x86 CPU known today.
The discrete Nvidia GPUs are a massive leap over the fastest previous NUC graphics solution which was from AMD Radeon.

If the article is correct, the first next-gen NUC that ships is based on a 14nm 8-Core mobile part that boosts to 5 GHz and that sounds good too given that it's the current fastest gaming CPU architecture.

Workstation Prototype pictured below to give you an idea of the form factor.

Intel-Quartz-Canyon-NUC_8-740x555.jpg

This is one of the most exciting things I've seen in PC Gaming in quite some time. High end gaming in a small box with a discrete GPU. Could easily see myself going for something like this the next time I upgrade.

Eotheod

NUC's won't be a thing and stop trying to force it. They are an overpriced gimmick aimed at gullible parents or people with not enough care to just Google PC Part Picker. Especially if you are now throwing in high end Intel and Nvidia, the definition of overpriced.

Pre-built systems are a waste of money, typically making you spend upwards of $1000 extra to purchase the lazy option.

Last edited:
You're better off posting gaming benchmarks, Leonidas.

In most cases the 9900k is still ahead of the pack, and it's getting cheaper too. xD

Last edited:
I like to think it stands for Negative Use of Cash.

The small ITX boxes you can buy from the likes of Gigabyte are half the price and more expandable.

Iorv3th

I thought intel was about to release their own midrange GPU? Would be weird that they launch these with nvidia cards.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
at this pricing might as well get the the mac mini
at least i am getting into a new eco system

Pagusas

Elden Member
I hope they are more reliable than their “for business” models. We have 50 of them in use at our company behind monitors to use with our monitor distribution system. In 2 years 14 of them have already been replaced due to hardware failure. Seriously the most annoying things ever. Every single time one goes down it’s an insane amount of paper work to get IT and Nets team to fix it.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I got one of those small things for my parents, but only because space was tight. In any other situation I would have just built one.

It's cool tech, but the price makes these irrelevant. If you want a powerful gaming PC in a small form factor, either go for mITX build or get a gaming laptop. There isn't much of a niche for these unless they were actually price competitive. Few people care about the lower power consumption unless it's on battery power.

dirthead

Banned
The HDMI 2.1 part is interesting, though, assuming it actually supports variable refresh. It'd be basically the only game in town that could run emulators smoothly on an OLED TV.

Top Bottom