• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen Leaks Round Up for 2020 and Beyond - Let's Have Some Fun Discussion

Hunnybun

My release date predictions -

Launch -
Demon's Souls Remake from Bluepoint Games
Housemarque new IP
Killzone 5, Socom 4 or new FPS IP from Guerrilla Games
Ratchet & Clank 2 from Insomniac Games

Street Fighter 6 - Early 2021
Gran Turismo 7 - Fall 2021
Horizon 2 - February 2022
Spider Man 2 - September 2022
Silent Hill Reboot - Fall 2022/Early 2023

I'm fully expecting Sony to port their PS5 titles to PC day one by about the halfway point of the next generation. Simply too much money to be made for Sony to pass that up and for what? Pissing off a few thousand fanboys that it doesn't affect anyway. There are those like myself who are 100% console only gamers so Sony putting their exclusives on PC day one at some point is the same as Microsoft doing it for me - non-existent because im not going to play games on PC anyway regardless of the game. At the end of the day, it's all about money. Always has been and always will be. Sony is basically passing up what is essentially free money.

I could definitely see a deal with Epic where their exclusives go on the Epic Game Store for a year where gets a massive payday for each and every game, Epic increases their install base to their platform and then Sony releases them a year later on Steam giving them even more money. If anything, it's not a question of if but when.

The problem with that is if it results in fewer people buying a PS5 in lieu of just gaming on a PC. That's definitely what I'd do. They have to weight that risk against the income from extra PC sales. You have to remember that Sony doesn't make exclusives primarily to sell copies, but to get people to buy a PlayStation, after which they get a cut of everything they buy for it. That's how they make their money, as a platform holder, not a software publisher.

There may not be that many people who'd go to PC, but another consideration is the ones who do spend a disproportionately large amount on games.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
The problem with that is if it results in fewer people buying a PS5 in lieu of just gaming on a PC. That's definitely what I'd do. They have to weight that risk against the income from extra PC sales. You have to remember that Sony doesn't make exclusives primarily to sell copies, but to get people to buy a PlayStation, after which they get a cut of everything they buy for it. That's how they make their money, as a platform holder, not a software publisher.

There may not be that many people who'd go to PC, but another consideration is the ones who do spend a disproportionately large amount on games.

All true but even if you say the best PS4 exclusive hits 20m, that's still over 100m who didn't buy that game yet still bought a PS4. Console gaming is much more than just exclusives. It simply has more to do with where your friends play if you're an online gamer or if you're someone like me who simply prefers console gaming over PC gaming. I believe that Sony porting their PS5 exclusives to PC will have a very minimal if that impact on their PS5 console sales. Plus, unless you're already into PC gaming, vast majority of console gamers are not going to all of a sudden pay triple the amount of the PS5 console just to play on PC and go through all the different store fronts, minimum/maximum requirements, consistently upgrading when needed, drivers and all the options that you have at your disposal. I simply don't see it affecting Sony's PS5 sales at all.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know how big they are exactly in terms of physicial studio or man size, but I know they're considered by Microsoft to be the big dawgs as a 1st party studio and basically the Naughty/Sony Santa Monica version of Microsoft.

I am just gonna say this much. The Initiative will be a force to be reckoned with.

I think Perfect Dark is being handled by Sumo Digital in collaboration with The Coalition assuming that its even real to begin with. The game is speculated to be a 3rd person reboot and not 1st person. Coalition would make sense because they make 3rd person games and so does Sumo Digital.

Dark Tide I think is the big quadruple A game aka Horzion Zero dawn of Microsoft.

In all honesty though, a lot of this sounds like weird gibberish and it's hard to say that any of this sound real.

I believe the Dark Tide stuff more than Perfect Dark reboot.

From what I understand, The Initiative is doing the single player campaign for the Perfect Dark reboot while The Coalition is supposedly working on the multi-player aspect. I do believe that their game will be third person because Gallagher is formerly of Tomb Raider which is third person so it makes sense in that aspect.

As for Dark Tide, what exactly is that? Haven't heard/read that at all.

Hunnybun

All true but even if you say the best PS4 exclusive hits 20m, that's still over 100m who didn't buy that game yet still bought a PS4. Console gaming is much more than just exclusives. It simply has more to do with where your friends play if you're an online gamer or if you're someone like me who simply prefers console gaming over PC gaming. I believe that Sony porting their PS5 exclusives to PC will have a very minimal if that impact on their PS5 console sales. Plus, unless you're already into PC gaming, vast majority of console gamers are not going to all of a sudden pay triple the amount of the PS5 console just to play on PC and go through all the different store fronts, minimum/maximum requirements, consistently upgrading when needed, drivers and all the options that you have at your disposal. I simply don't see it affecting Sony's PS5 sales at all.

Maybe. The point is, it's a risk.

martino

Just because a team is smaller and more agile doesn't mean that they are any less inferior or superior to a studio like Naughty Dog. You also have to realize, technology changes overtime and so development evolves as well. You can still focus on innovation and make a big/ambitious title. Its not a indie studio if that's what you're implying by any means lol.

Also, not to get into a pissing contest but Naughty Dog is not really know for its "groundbreaking innovative gameplay" let's be real. They're more of story tellers rather than gameplay. Uncharted and TLOU never had anything ground-breaking in their gameplay mechanics, it was the theme and how the story is being told what made these game so highly praised and sell. The mechanics in these games worked well for the theme and were well executed but they were never ground breaking. Naughty Dog also refuses to make open world games which in my opinion is a shame, but maybe they know that that's just not their strong suit and that' fine.

So I am not sure what you mean "Naughty Dog" levels. Naughty Dog was never ever a king of gameplay. If what the article states in regards to innovation and not scale is true then that would imply that The Initiative is looking into creating a more consistent experience rather than throwing the player into a giant massive open world which is actually what Naughty Dog does these days. Dark Tide still could be an open world game but it doesn't mean it needs to be absolutely huge, because more empty spaces doesn't usually mean higher quality in the first place. If anything the whole "innovation" thing and smaller "Scale" actually fits Naughty Dog description pretty well, Naughty Dog tries to innovate already good mechanics, into more better mechanics and evolve what's already there, but they never tried to or even attempted to reinvent the wheel and that's fine because it works for them. Last of Us itself or Uncharted are not very big games in terms of scale, they never were. UC 4 and TLOU 2 are more open ended sure, but that's it.

Horizon Zero Dawn also was an open world game, but it never focused on the scale either, at least in my opinion. It took a lot of the mechanics that already existed in other games like Far Cry where you collect mats and craft using a navigational wheel hud, the crafting is 1 to 1 with Far Cry lol. The only innovative part was fighting the mechanical dinos, and even then that was obviously inspired by Monster Hunter with Horizon's own twist with breaking the mechanical parts. I do not consider Horizon Zero Dawn a massive game in scale, the world is quite small compared to something like Zelda BoTW or any of the AC/Far Cry games. But its more consistent with content and activities rather than fluff. The Initiative could be taking a very similar approach.

i could have written your last paragraph +1000
Except i found that horizon scale, even if it's not that massive, is an interesting and clever choice because it opens itself in segments with the player gaining skills and mechanics
it prioritizes gaming over world coherence in the end but it's not a bad thing imo.

Next week is my guess.

You really expecting God of War 2 at a PS5 event? I highly doubt that, that's more of 2021 thing for an announcement. Maybe a very tiny tease, but I don't think they should do it, everyone knows its coming so there is no real point in doing it so early. But who knows.

LostDonkey

You really expecting God of War 2 at a PS5 event? I highly doubt that, that's more of 2021 thing for an announcement. Maybe a very tiny tease, but I don't think they should do it, everyone knows its coming so there is no real point in doing it so early. But who knows.
I expect them to show something yeah. Cory has been tweeting cryptic messages like "Ragnarok Is Coming".

I hope so anyway.

Inviusx

For what it's worth, these were the launch exclusives for PS4:

Flower
Killzone Shadow Fall
Knack
Resogun
Sound Shapes
Escape Plan
Flow

So IMHO we will see maybe 2 big AAA exclusives at launch, mixed in with various smaller projects and exclusive indie titles. Anything else will be "launch window" so 2021 titles at the earliest.

For what it's worth, these were the launch exclusives for PS4:

Flower
Killzone Shadow Fall
Knack
Resogun
Sound Shapes
Escape Plan
Flow

So IMHO we will see maybe 2 big AAA exclusives at launch, mixed in with various smaller projects and exclusive indie titles. Anything else will be "launch window" so 2021 titles at the earliest.

Oh god don't remind me. PS4 launch was boring as fuck 2014 was extremely stale too. Games did not really pick up until 2015 and beyond.

Last edited:
Top Bottom