• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next gen Mass Effect shows himself a little more

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
76101_5_seasoned-bioware-vets-working-on-new-next-gen-mass-effect-4-title_full.jpg

During the last N7 Day, an event that brings together fans of the Mass Effect saga every year, BioWare announced the arrival of a Legendary Edition bringing together the first trilogy. But Bioware also revealed a brand new opus.
For the moment very discreet, this new opus has no release window, nor even an official name. However, the latter had still unveiled a very first artwork during the N7 Day.
Moreover, today, three new images of this mysterious project surface thanks to the publication of a brand new book from Dark Horse. Indeed, named BioWare: Stories and Secrets from 25 Years of Game Development, and available at Amazon, decides to return to the history of the studio while sharing many illustrations including three from their next creation.

1605695226-1246-capture-d-ecran.png
1605695227-4827-capture-d-ecran.png
1605695227-885-capture-d-ecran.png

"Expect to explore incredible new worlds with memorable characters supported by the series' signature choices and consequences."

SinDelta

After Mass Effect 3, Andromedia and Anthem I can't wait to see what Bioware has next! /s

I remain skeptical of this being any good until it is. Same for Dragon Age 4.

For the love of god use a series bible and a complete story outline for both this and 4. Please I cannot emphasize this enough.

Concept art is cool though.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

zero confidence in these jokers

i will have to wait till its out... and been out for several months so they can work out bugs and gtichs (this shouldnt be a thing but it is now.... god damnit) and then if its by some miracle actually good, then i will consider buying it during a sale sometime down the road

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
If they nail the scale of those images, and give us a grittier, more Mandolorian style game without the politics they will have a masterpiece. They wont do any of that though because EA is a company run by morons who care more about how PC they are than how good their games are. (See BF5) I'm convinced a space western in the same vein as the Mandolorian would sell gangbusters. Like holy shit can you imagine Rockstar doing Red Dead in space? WOW!

Yall remember when EA was developing a game very much like The Mandolorian and shut it down along with the Dead Space studio that was developing it because single player games don't make enough money....

How many copies of Spiderman again? What about Skyrim?

Last edited:

AJUMP23

That broken mass relay/city looks like a world I want to explore. Color me intrigued.

The main issue with Andromeda (once the technical glitches were patched) is that series fans were expecting Star Wars and got Star Trek instead.

ME has always been Star Trek, especially ME 1.

Last edited:

avalonzero

I'd like to think that the backlash from Andromeda/Anthem will lead to Bioware taking this next iteration more seriously and not take the audience for granted this time. It seems like a no-brainer that Mass Effect is their bread and butter and should be treated as such. Here's to hoping anyways.

Andromeda literally got shit on mainly because of animations. Same as COD Infinite Warfare for going too far into the future. It just became a running meme.

The story wasnt as gripping for sure but gameplay, mechanics, the shooting, everything was better than the original. It was an addicting open world to complete but very forgettable story. But by no means was it a bad game. Even the janky animations were fixed in first 2 months.

I still have high hopes for the franchise and i think one way they can do it is Star Wars style...retcon something from the original trilogy. Bring back someone beloved... Shepard put on ice, dug up from some cave. Dont make a brand new universe with all new characters.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Mass Effect is one of my favorite characters on this citadel. Eh shoots reapers and doesn’t afraid of anything

im-commander-shepard-and-i-agree-with-that-statement.jpg

It wasn't a great game, but it wasn't anywhere near as terrible as many believed. The things I hated were the tedious fast travel between planets and the bloated pointless quests. But the powers were fun.
Andromeda literally got shit on mainly because of animations. Same as COD Infinite Warfare for going too far into the future. It just became a running meme.

The story wasn't as gripping for sure but gameplay, mechanics, the shooting, everything was better than the original. It was an addicting open world to complete but very forgettable story. But by no means was it a bad game. Even the janky animations were fixed in first 2 months.

I still have high hopes for the franchise and i think one way they can do it is Star Wars style...retcon something from the original trilogy. Bring back someone beloved... Shepard put on ice, dug up from some cave. Dont make a brand new universe with all new characters.

I can agree on this: Mass Effect Andromeda has the better gameplay of the series, period.
BUT, everything else is a fucking let down. The story is so shitty that I already forget the names of the characters, and the big bad was so awful that it still hurt...

kyussman

The experience with Andromeda makes me hopeful they won't run into similar issues with the next game.I think they set their sights way too high with the concept of what they wanted Andromeda to be with all the processional worlds stuff.Just dial it back and make a solid game in the mould of the original game and there is no reason it shouldn't be pretty great.....then again,given Bioware's recent output I may be being a bit naive,lol.

Hudo

After Andromeda and Anthem, I have very low expectations. That's good, right? Means I can't be disappointed easily, right?
I mean, Casey Hudson got back (he wasn't involved in Andromeda and Anthem) so...maybe the next Mass Effect could turn out to be good? Who knows?
I don't have any hope for the next Dragon Age, though.

Ascend

I mean, Casey Hudson got back (he wasn't involved in Andromeda and Anthem) so...maybe the next Mass Effect could turn out to be good? Who knows?
Depends on whether he jumped on the SJW bandwagon or not.

Oh yea, I forgot about DA:I (and DA2). Now my expectations are impossibly low.

Ascend

You have to stop letting this rule your life dude
I don't exactly know what you mean. All this 'progressive' stuff has been ruining pretty much all media lately. It's not exactly ruin my life. In a way, avoiding that stuff enables me to put more time in trading and other stuff.

I do love Mass Effect and it's a shame that it's ending up the way it is.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Kinda hoping they find a way to bring the story back to the Milky Way in a way that isn't a prequel of some sort.

I mean fuck it - It's been over 8 years since Mass Effect 3 just reboot the entire thing.

Hudo

Oh yea, I forgot about DA:I (and DA2). Now my expectations are impossibly low.
The biggest Problem BioWare seem to have with Dragon Age is that they don't know what they want, which is actually what really fucked the design of DA:I. DA:I wanted to be an open-world game but also tell this epic, cinematic story. Wanted to be an RPG but also be an action game. Wanted to provide fast-paced combat but also be tactical.... it was just a series of compromises resulting in a mishmash of nothing that really stands out or works well.

And from everything we've heard of DA4, it doesn't seem like they have figured out what to do with Dragon Age.

Top Bottom