• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braldryr

Banned
Cool story......However, What you've said there is all based on conjecture and speculation....Nothing Cerny says about price suggests PS5 will only have 12 GB and be around 10TF......Sony can eat some of the cost or prices on technology can drop...Besides, AMD and Sony have been developing Navi and custom Navi solutions together for a while now, including the raytracing tech which PD, Santa Monica, ND are all contributing too.......Whatever you do, don't look at desktop pricing to determine what type of costs applies to a Business and Research Partner to AMD like Sony.....

Yet, I must say, you've sparked my interest, relative to what your take would be on XB2 kit.....If you know so much about PS5, then you must be teeming with correct/accurate information on XB2......So I'd like you to piece a post like the one I'm responding to here, but instead make it about XB2......So Ram, TF, HDD, Launch Date, Pricing and give your synopsis based on what Spencer's vision is for the box.......Just like you did for Cerny above....

I have no clue where you are seeing or reading that I said that I know a lot about Sony. Never have I said I have dib on Sony but it seems people wanna keep thinking that because they're so desperate for info. I clearly stated this is my personal prediction based on how Sony has been talking and based what I am hearing on the Xbox side of things. Jesus christ, is it that hard for people to read and understand?

If you're looking for Sony info I am not your guy, I can only give logical speculation that's it. And that's exactly what I did in that post.

I don’t think the servers are up anymore are they? So BC of them let’s say 2-3 years from now would be even more redundant for multiplayer.
No, the servers are still up and running for all games (including Uncharted 2 from 2009):

I could have sworn they added UC2 maps and classic play to UC4, but have never played it.
I've played the shit out of it and let me tell you UC3/4 Classic is nothing like the real thing, which would really shine at 1080p60 (OG PS4) or 4k60 (PS4 Pro/PS5).

It's like comparing a sex doll to a real woman. :)

SonGoku

I clearly stated this is my personal prediction based on how Sony has been talking and based what I am hearing on the Xbox side of things.
A few pointers to keep in mind for your prediction:
A 60CU GPU (4 Disabled) would fit on a 350mm2 APU (same size as launch PS4) 24GB GDDR6 would cost Sony 100 to 150 dollars
If they so choose, they can sell a 12+TF with 24GB ram PS5 for $399 and take a small loss (50-100 dollars)

What will determine which console is more powerful is cooling and clocks.
GoW 3 is playable on stronger hardware (Core i9)... they said they will work to make it playable on weaker hardware.

The improvements of the emulator thought the year is really amazing.

That doesnt look playable and not listed as such https://rpcs3.net/compatibility?g=god+of+war either.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No, the servers are still up and running for all games (including Uncharted 2 from 2009):

I've played the shit out of it and let me tell you UC3/4 Classic is nothing like the real thing, which would really shine at 1080p60 (OG PS4) or 4k60 (PS4 Pro/PS5).

It's like comparing a sex doll to a real woman. :)

Gotcha.

I did really like UC2 multiplayer. I fell off from it from 3 on.

ethomaz

Banned
Sometimes I find it funny.

1. Guy A post a leak from Reddit
2. Guy B access the leak post and blame the leaker for not reply questions about his sources

C'mon it is an anonymous leak... do you really believe the guy say his sources? lol

ethomaz

Banned
A 60CU GPU (4 Disabled) would fit on a 350mm2 APU (same size as launch PS4) 24GB GDDR6 would cost Sony 100 to 150 dollars
If they so choose, they can sell a 12+TF with 24GB ram PS5 for $399 and take a small loss (50-100 dollars)

What will determine which console is more powerful is cooling and clocks.

That doesnt look playable and not listed as such https://rpcs3.net/compatibility?g=god+of+war either.
It is not listed because the reason I posted... needs i9 so they are working to improve performance.

Besides that it is playable from begin to end.

It will probably get the state playable this year.

SonGoku

It is not listed because the reason I posted... needs i9 so they are working to improve performance.
Besides that it is playable from begin to end.
It will probably get the state playable this year.
What hw was used? from the description i got:
Recorded by
(i7 8700k @5.3GHz)
(R7 1700 @3.9GHz)

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
What hw was used? from the description i got:
Recorded by
(i7 8700k @5.3GHz)
(R7 1700 @3.9GHz)
These in description... heavy overclocked processors.... that why I said it requires i9.

They are working to make optimizations to run in lower CPU.

Last edited:

SonGoku

These in description... heavy overclocked processors.... that why I said it requires i9.
But an i9 isn't that much better IPC wise and clock wise 5.3GHz its already pushing the limits or is the emu heavily optimized towards parallelism to the point 2 extra cores make the world of difference.
Do you think Sony with the advantage of proper documentation, money and APU (low latency CPU/GPU workload sharing) can achieve near perfect PS3 emulation on Zen2 at 3.2 Ghz?

TLZ

Banned
Concept 1

Concept 2

I like how they showed the PS5 taking in PS1-PS5 discs.

They don't look the best (I'm ok with that 2nd one actually but without the big circle in the middle), but they sure making me HUNGRY.

And why serious music? Give me some silly happy Yoshi music to go with it :messenger_relieved:

LordOfChaos

But an i9 isn't that much better IPC wise and clock wise 5.3GHz its already pushing the limits or is the emu heavily optimized towards parallelism to the point 2 extra cores make the world of difference.
Do you think Sony with the advantage of proper documentation, money and APU (low latency CPU/GPU workload sharing) can achieve near perfect PS3 emulation on Zen2 at 3.2 Ghz?

Maaaybe, given Ryzen 2 is addressing one of the weak points of 1 by going to full 256 bit AVX, and that would probably be the primary interest in emulating the SPEs. But who among us could really know, Cell was just so...Weird, man. The locally managed memory for one, who knows what edge cases there would be.

SonGoku

Maaaybe, given Ryzen 2 is addressing one of the weak points of 1 by going to full 256 bit AVX, and that would probably be the primary interest in emulating the SPEs. But who among us could really know, Cell was just so...Weird, man. The locally managed memory for one, who knows what edge cases there would be.
Negotiator mentioned something about GPU caches, maybe when those are big enough could provide sufficient boost

ethomaz

Banned
Well only them could do that imo but I don’t think it will be cheaper to develop that emulator.

Last edited:

demigod

So in other words, you don't have anything to share...........

The thing is, you were quite assertive that PS5 would have no more than 12Gb's and that 13Tf is a pipe-dream, a gamers wet dream even.....Then you said Holiday 2020 for the release, certainly not September........The way you spoke seemed like a man who's making the console himself.......Perhaps you should re-read your post for tone......In essence, many of the things you stated if not all were not in the wired article......The Death Stranding bit was speculation by Wired, not confirmed, even if it becomes true, it's not information you present as fact in the here and now......Go read the wired article on Death Stranding again, and tell me how what you're saying about DS was confirmed?

Don’t you love fake insiders that don’t know diddly squat but pretend they know the ins and outs of the ps5 while downplaying the specs?

Taken from the Reeee thread, which was taken from 4chan (someone commenting on another rumor thread):

Details on the next-gen consoles and devkits, don't ask how I know:

Phil really fought hard for the concept of a loss-leading Anaconda by positioning the device as a value add to the company as a whole. The silicon inside the next Xboxes will be dual-purposed for Azure compute in server blades.
Because of this they thought they had the power advantage over the PS5 since they were certain Sony will repeat the same strategy as the PS4.

Sony however is also going for a loss-leading platform. They saw the difference in reception between the pro and the 1X and is focused on not giving up much if any performance edge to their competition.
So both consoles will have similar bom (bill of manufacture). The chips in Anaconda unfortunately are hampered by the need to cater to Azure workloads, meaning that it'll have silicon devoted to FP64, and also machine learning, that is not utilizable by game engines currently.

This results in the PS5 devkits currently with a 20-30% perf advantage against Anaconda. MS is aware and might try to push the clocks, but there isn't much wiggle room as both companies are already pushing the limits of console tdp and heat. They might be content in w/e happening as they're partners with Sony now.

PS: Specs in OP are fake. Don't expect consoles to be north of 12 TF

So: 1 - you know which other chip has FP64 specialization? Zen 3. Maybe that's where the rumour came from and why it's been said PS5 and XB2 have different architectures.
2 - So now PS5 is actually more powerful? Oh no. Poor Klobrille and pals
3 - No more than 12TF? That seems more realistic tbh.

SonGoku

The only way I believe Snek to be weaker is if MS compromises the design so that it can be repurposed on servers

TLZ

Banned
Ok, fine. I'll go to 4chan and unload all I know.

PM me if you want to know more about the latest Chips flavor. Covered in leaky Lisa sawce guaranteed to put you in such a Zen state, you think you're so high(end). And They're verified too ;)

ethomaz

Banned
From the reddit thread early today...

December. Reveal event. Small follow up in March. Final big showcase at E3 in June 2020. Roadmap is in place. Idea is to have Playstation mindshare building to a peak starting late this year and into the PS5 launch. (Between the PS5 news, you will have Ghost, this fiscal year, and Death Stranding, next fiscal, before E3).

Another dude in the same thread...

Details on the next-gen consoles and devkits, don't ask how I know:

Phil really fought hard for the concept of a loss-leading Anaconda by positioning the device as a value add to the company as a whole. The silicon inside the next Xboxes will be dual-purposed for Azure compute in server blades.
Because of this they thought they had the power advantage over the PS5 since they were certain Sony will repeat the same strategy as the PS4.

Sony however is also going for a loss-leading platform. They saw the difference in reception between the pro and the 1X and is focused on not giving up much if any performance edge to their competition.
So both consoles will have similar bom (bill of manufacture). The chips in Anaconda unfortunately are hampered by the need to cater to Azure workloads, meaning that it'll have silicon devoted to FP64, and also machine learning, that is not utilizable by game engines currently.

This results in the PS5 devkits currently with a 20-30% perf advantage against Anaconda. MS is aware and might try to push the clocks, but there isn't much wiggle room as both companies are already pushing the limits of console tdp and heat. They might be content in w/e happening as they're partners with Sony now.

Last edited:

stetiger

50-100 dollars is not a small loss. you would have to buy three games for sony to cover 50 bucks, or 5 games to cover 100. That would not happen. In addition 150 million dollar loss on 3 million consoles for the first batch would be ridiculous

SonGoku

This results in the PS5 devkits currently with a 20-30% perf advantage against Anaconda.
idk seems fake, 30% gap is too big:
PS5: 13TF
SNEK: 10TF

PS5: 12TF
SNEK: 9.2TF

PS5: 11TF
SNEK: 8.46TF

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom