|OT| Next-Gen PS5 & Next Xbox |OT| Speculation/Analysis/Leaks Thread

Next Gen Consoles Power Level

• Total voters

mckmas8808

May 24, 2005
IMO 30 fps is not a playable framerate. It makes me physically ill to play games that low, which is why I play most of my games on PC (with a controller) despite liking consoles better. This is also why I wish consoles used desktop GPUs so you could just put whichever one you wanted in the PS5 and rock.
That's fine and I believe you. But for the majority of gamers on Earth, a steady 30 fps is good. So there's no reason to make my games worse, just because you want a 60 fps mandate.

Lort

Jul 9, 2017
I was right about the PS4 not being able to do 1080p 60fps on AAA titles. Most can barely reach 30fps.
I was right about the PS4 not being able to hold a candle to PCs on launch. It was weak at launch.
I was right about there not being an ounce of "Special Sauce" for either console. Still laughable.

Of coarse some 2d game will reach 8k, nobody cares about that. They care about the next sony exlusive being 4k 60fps. Which it wont, because the PS5 will be weak out of the box just like the PS4. Sony cannot afford to try to fight the PC and people are too worried about power costs to ask for a truly strong machine.

That doesn't mean the PS5 or Xbox 2 will be bad or anything. I just think people need to be realistic that 4k 30fps or 1440p 60fps are the ceilings for next gen consoles for AAA style titles. Hopefully devs give us a choice between the two because I would take 1440p 60fps with a little aa any day of the week.

60fps is a better standard than 30fps. Why would that be dumb? A lot of people would notice the sudden jump to 60 for everything and see that as "next gen".
Some of what you say is based on truth, other parts like 1440p 60 fps “cap” on next gen are hyperbole.

I have just been playing Gears of War 5 with awesome graphics at 4k hdr 60 fps. Yes it has dynamic res but never goes as low as 1440p and uses the same techniques as Spiderman to maintain image quality when its not 4k.

Many if not most next gen games will be 4k 60.

PocoJoe

Jul 9, 2018
natural thumb position is up. thumb on movement stick and thumbs on facebuttons. with ps controller your thumbs are constantly pressed down.
No they are not. How the heck are you gripping if you feel like that?

DS4 = both thumbs rest perfectly at the sticks when they are relaxed.

Xbox = right thumb rests and left have to be "pressed up left" or having different grip and that doesnt work because rest of the controller is not asymmetrical

Do you have hand size of 5 years old? Hard to imagine that adult would have to press down to reach sticks on sony.

Ps. I think you are talking bullshit as you wöuld also complain about reaching one of the sticks on xbox if this would really be an issue

ksdixon

Jul 31, 2010
Man the pop-in on Division 2 on regular PS4 is bad. I'm literally running down the street seeing trees materialise in front of me. Will the various improvements in PS5 hardware improve this when I run that game on that system?

ksdixon

Jul 31, 2010
Shame it's not real. I really like the idea of PS5 being disc-based backwards compatible. But I thought that was impossible? Don't PS3 and PS4 use different colored lasers to read their blu ray discs?

I actually really like the area on the front that the disc pops out of, on this mockup.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Nov 25, 2015
Man the pop-in on Division 2 on regular PS4 is bad. I'm literally running down the street seeing trees materialise in front of me. Will the various improvements in PS5 hardware improve this when I run that game on that system?
Yes. Sony already touched on this which you can see demoed in the below video.

FranXico

Dec 7, 2010
Really not a fan of those Vs everywhere. I like the little touches, like the display next to the disc tray, but not the other stuff.

And that claim of BC all the way to PS1 should really not be getting encouraged. I realistically expect it to be BC only with PS4 games. Would love to be proven wrong, of course.

Negotiator

Jun 28, 2011
I really like the idea of PS5 being disc-based backwards compatible. But I thought that was impossible? Don't PS3 and PS4 use different colored lasers to read their blu ray discs?
Nope, it uses the exact same tech. The only difference is the speed (2x CLV vs 6x P-CAV).

It's a shame they stopped developing new optical (and more dense) media.

According to Cerny, yes, but you're gonna need a PS5 patch for the ultimate improvement.

Last edited: